Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
Does anyone use one ?
I'm thinking of buying a 25 series for outdoor cooking , to go with my many other stoves. Fuel is easy to get hold of and they are lightweight. Nesting. Pretty much the complete package.
So just interested to find out if anyone else uses them these days....🤔

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Does anyone use one ?
I'm thinking of buying a 25 series for outdoor cooking , to go with my many other stoves. Fuel is easy to get hold of and they are lightweight. Nesting. Pretty much the complete package.
When would you plan to use them rather than other stoves? I've had one for 30+ yrs an use it when backpacking and bivvying but don't take it in our campervan.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Could be good on the beach.
We use a single gas stove on the beach, using the same pots etc as we cook with in the campervan. I understand what you mean... I just find the gas ring easier than fiddling with the Trangia.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Does anyone use one ?

They're Marmite. As a scout leader, I hate them! Others will surely disagree. The good point is the versatile stacking pan set. The bad point is that the meths burner is slow and dangerous. It burns with an invisible flame, is hard to control and can't be topped up once lit. You can get gas conversions for them, but then are they really a Trangia?

Sep 17, 2017
Birmingham, UK
Funster No
MH
A-Class
Exp
We used them at school and in the air cadets. Then I got one when we re-started tent camping about 10 years ago. You can either burn meths hot and sooty, or add a bit of water to the meths so it burns clean, but then it takes ages to boil the kettle. I got annoyed with it and added a £20 gas burner that folded up small enough to fit in the kettle. Gas cyliders were the universal screw on kind you can get everywhere and was comparable in size and weight and longevity to a metal bottle of meths.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
I still have a couple as well as a Primus stove. When I go back packing, camping these days though I use a pocket rocket. Quicker, cleaner, easier, and much lighter.

EML

Sep 18, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
15 years
I cook with a dual spirit stove in the (gas-free) van. Not meths, though - clean, odour-free bioethanol.

I'd find the Trangia way too fancy and heavy for backpacking - just a mini primus and one multi-purpose pan.

OP
OP
Reusables
Jul 24, 2015
Ramsgate Kent
Funster No
MH
Fiat ducato c class
Exp
5 years
Depends if you like fiddling!
Oh i like fiddling alright.. often cook on wood over open fire/coals , have a firebox stove and twig gasification stove.. all free to cook on.
We do have a gas stove that takes the little cans but I really hate going to look for gas .
Meths is available in lots of shops .and wood is free..

I don't know maybe I'm just bored or run out of things to fiddle with.. .going to try and put it out of my mind 🤣

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back