Trailer Sizing (1 Viewer)

E

Enodreven

Deleted User
Hi,

We should pick up our new Fiat Panda Diesel on the 1st and we still can't quiet make up our minds on the method for towing it, we keep coming down on the "A" Frame idea as it does appear more user friendly, but i have been looking on ebay at the trailer prices the problem i have is what size do i need ?? so i can get some idea of price comparison

the Panda is 3538mm long X 1578mm Wide X 1578 High and its curb weight is 935kg has anyone any idea as to the miminum trailer size, or how do you find a suitable sized trailer

any help advice would be welcomed

Please don't let it digress into the legal argument PLEASE

Thanks
Brian

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Brian
I think that you have all the info that you need to choose a trailer mate. You need to get one that is capable of carrying the weight of the car + a bit extra, say 1100 Kgs, wide enough and long enough to accomodate the car. I would recommend looking at a twin axle trailer as in my opinion, they are far more stable and easier to reverse.....
Do remember that you have to consider the weight of the car + trailer when adding it to your weights to make sure not to exceed the MH max train weight.
HTH

Keith

Ps there is no arguement about the legality of traiers is there? :roflmto::roflmto:

OP
OP
E

Enodreven

Deleted User
Hi, Keith

Thanks for the info, would you normally try to get the trailer to be the minimum size necessary to fit the car, or doesn't it really matter as long as the train weights are within limits ??

The reason I'm asking is that there are one or two trailers on ebay that appear to be quiet a lot larger than the Panda and can accommodate the weight as you suggest (1100kg or above) but they do seem a bit big as its only a small car, ?

I supose my question is are bigger trailers easier or harder to deal with ?

Sorry if this sounds a bit vague
Brian

Hi Brian
I think that you have all the info that you need to choose a trailer mate. You need to get one that is capable of carrying the weight of the car + a bit extra, say 1100 Kgs, wide enough and long enough to accomodate the car. I would recommend looking at a twin axle trailer as in my opinion, they are far more stable and easier to reverse.....
Do remember that you have to consider the weight of the car + trailer when adding it to your weights to make sure not to exceed the MH max train weight.
HTH

Keith

Ps there is no arguement about the legality of traiers is there? :roflmto::roflmto:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Hi Brian
I think I understand your question and the only clue I am able to offer is that years ago I used to have a little 12 foot caravan (my first one) and it was a nightmare to manouver. Everytime I tried to reverse it, it seemed to be attracted to my rear bumper, and swung round really quickly :whatthe: I then moved up to a 16 foot caravan and found it was much better in this resepct, as well as most others too...
Eventually I discovered the delights of BIG tandem axle caravans, what a difference. Could reverse it anywhere I wanted virtually spot on perfect and the ride and handling was superb, would never have realised the difference mate.
Only one downside with the tandem axle is that it is almost impossible to move it about by hand unles you only go backwards and forwards in a straight line, swinging them around is not an easy task unless you are able to get the front axle off the ground using the jockey wheel.
As for a car trailer I would personally still go for the tandem axle set up, but you will need to be mindful of the trainweight and don't get a trailer too big for the car try to get it sized so that the car fits quite neatly but still gives room. Also make sure that the wheel arches on the trailer will allow you to get in and out of the car when putting the car onto the trailer, some make it very difficult :whatthe:
Good luck

Keith

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
hi been having this discussion on MHF. I pull a single axle BJ 1 ton trailer, which weighs 300kg light 1300kg max weight, no trouble at all with our nissan micra on it which weighs just under 1 ton. And would be the size you should be looking at.

I cannot understand the stability aspect, unless you intend to race around corners with it, it is no more unstable than a twin. Having pulled both I have never noticed a difference.

Twins weigh more, anywhere between 50-100kg which means nothing to the RV but makes all the difference to you, if you have to manhandle it around an uneven pitch. On rough ground any car trailer is a PIG, twins are just bigger pigs.

Fit a tow ball to your car, then if you have to move the trailer any distance you can use the car to do it. As for reversing, the longer the trailer the easier to reverse, can't see how single, twin or even triple axle comes into it, apart from the fact they tend to be longer. An RV's long overhang makes it more difficult to reverse with a trailer attached than say a unit, but take it slow, maybe practice a bit somewhere and you will be fine.

Apart from the legal aspect an "A" frame wins hands down, easier and quicker to hitch/unhitch and safer to tow. Our Nissan is an auto so we are stuck with a trailer.:frowny:

Olley

OP
OP
E

Enodreven

Deleted User
Hi, Keith & Olley

Thanks for the very very useful information, I now have a far better understanding of the situation and hopefully once I have some prices together I can make a informed choice between an "A" frame and a Trailer

Thanks to both of you

Brian

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
hi john on a 1993 Nissan?? rather spend my money on some more toys.::bigsmile: besides we already have the trailer.

Olley

OP
OP
E

Enodreven

Deleted User
Hi, Just another question.

I have been looking at "A" frames as well as trailers and I have had 2 different suggestions from installers of "A" frames one suggests he would add a cable mechanism to my brake pedal to operate the brakes on the car and the other suggests a "Brakebuddy" the quotes are within ÂŁ100 of each other, do any of you have any feelings as to which would be the better option ??

Thanks
Brian

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi brian I have no experience of either, but from an engineering point of view I would say the Brake buddy, this I believe can exert a much greater force on the pedal than the overrun cable, which seems to have a poor mechanical advantage, especially as it connects up near the top of the pedal, and theirs no vacuum assist.

Dick (moandick) had problems with his brake buddy, it kept applying his brakes and burning them out, so much so that he gave up with it. So its more complicated to set up and may need frequent adjusting. However the yanks seem to use them without many problems appearing on their forums.

I would think if you could fit an electric vacuum pump into the car (as one member has) then the overrun would be the best as its the simplest.

Olley

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back