Towing Electrics (1 Viewer)

Nov 22, 2018
South East but not London
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
Five years plus three tugging
We are looking at towing a small trailer to carry extra gear. One of the things that we want to do is put a small compressor freezer in the trailer and connect it to the trailer electrics.

1631631402824.png

Do I connect it to 9 & 13, or 10 & 11?

Thanks

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We are looking at towing a small trailer to carry extra gear. One of the things that we want to do is put a small compressor freezer in the trailer and connect it to the trailer electrics.

View attachment 536757

Do I connect it to 9 & 13, or 10 & 11?

Thanks

It depends on how your electrics are wired. Is this for a motorhome?

10 & 11 would only work with the engine on, 9 & 13 all the time. This is assuming they're wired correctly (they often aren't).

If it was my van, I'd be wiring 9 & 13 up to the leisure battery and use those. This means the freezer stays cold even when you're not driving. However, I wouldn't do it if I hadn't wired it up myself, as it would probably go to the engine battery.

Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
You are of course assuming that the van socket has been wired up as it would be for towing a caravan which it may not have been. Unless you know that’s the case.

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
It depends on how your electrics are wired. Is this for a motorhome?

10 & 11 would only work with the engine on, 9 & 13 all the time. This is assuming they're wired correctly (they often aren't).

If it was my van, I'd be wiring 9 & 13 up to the leisure battery and use those. This means the freezer stays cold even when you're not driving. However, I wouldn't do it if I hadn't wired it up myself, as it would probably go to the engine battery.

Thanks. There seems to be a mixed feeling about this.

Looking more closely at the issue, so if I connect to the permanent current on 9 & 13, what if you stop on the Autostrada for a well earned prosciutto panini? How long before the leisure battery is empty? We have a solar panel, but I have heard that a permanently connected fridge or freezer can run down a leisure battery inside twenty minutes.

And I thought (could be wrong) that running down a leisure battery to flat, is never a good idea.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
You are of course assuming that the van socket has been wired up as it would be for towing a caravan which it may not have been. Unless you know that’s the case.

The lights on the trailer have always worked with no problems, but I have never tested the power take offs. You have a point. I will get the multimeter out and check 10/11 and 9/13, engine on/off.

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Thanks. There seems to be a mixed feeling about this.

Looking more closely at the issue, so if I connect to the permanent current on 9 & 13, what if you stop on the Autostrada for a well earned prosciutto panini? How long before the leisure battery is empty? We have a solar panel, but I have heard that a permanently connected fridge or freezer can run down a leisure battery inside twenty minutes.

And I thought (could be wrong) that running down a leisure battery to flat, is never a good idea.

That depends on the size of your battery and the type of freezer. Assuming the battery starts 100% charged, I would expect my battery (300Ah Lithium) to run a compressor freezer (say average 24W) for 6 days. If you are running a absorbtion fridge (say 120W) using a 85Ah lead acid to 50%, you have just over 4 hours.

That's assuming no solar. Solar would extend the absorbtion fridge by a few hours, or until evening. It would extend the compressor fridge to around October/November.

OP
OP
DDJC
Nov 22, 2018
Funster No
MH
Rimor Europeo 87
Exp
That depends on the size of your battery and the type of freezer. Assuming the battery starts 100% charged, I would expect my battery (300Ah Lithium) to run a compressor freezer (say average 24W) for 6 days. If you are running a absorbtion fridge (say 120W) using a 85Ah lead acid to 50%, you have just over 4 hours.

That's assuming no solar. Solar would extend the absorbtion fridge by a few hours, or until evening. It would extend the compressor fridge to around October/November.
Really?
I didn't know compressor fridge/fridges were that efficient.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

cmcardle75

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 8, 2012
Reading
Funster No
MH
Riot Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
Really?
I didn't know compressor fridge/fridges were that efficient.

My CRX80 averages 12W over a long period. I doubled it for the calculation for a freezer, but this might be pessimistic.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back