Towing after losing license for medical reasons (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Any driver with a full licence, auto, or manual can tow up to 750 kg max trailer weight.

Even if you passed your test today.

Not if you passed your test before Jan 1997 , with group B+E trailer weight 11000kg or up to the max your vehicle can tow.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Kerb weight for a Smart ForTwo is aprox 750kg, and depending on trailer probably around 300kg, so 1050kg.

B VERY careful about that, as the Trailer Mass is the plated maximum Mass? .Not what is actually towed.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
B VERY careful about that, as the Trailer Mass is the plated maximum Mass? .Not what is actually towed.

I had a Brian James trailer with Peugeot 107 on board and obtained a new downrated plate from the manufacturer to bring it below my max gtw but above the o/a combined weight.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

No it isn't . The police would like you to believe that & at times they believe it themselves. It is the ACTUAL weight of the trailer & load . Nothing else.
I.e. My vehicle is 2,8T Max gross weight with a 2t Max train weight , so 4,8t all up . I am legally allowed to tow a 3,5 tonne trailer ( which weighs 699kgs empty ) either empty or with a load on it up to 1301kgs . It has nothing to do with what the trailer CAN carry only what it actually weighs.
I have a letter from Vosa which I have posted before stating that fact.
I'll dig it out.

Found it !

Can't work out how to post ?

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I'm confused as to exactly WHAT you are saying ... ????

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Look at the "Endorsement codes". I think like most drivers you will find 107? which limits to 8250kg. 11000kg requires a further test I am sure?.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-licence-codes

Pete

The code 107 is on the C1+E group for those that passed test before Jan 1997 with a gvw of 7500kgs and a gtw of 8250kgs .
Licence group B+E for those that passed test before Jan 1997 has a gvw of 3500kgs with a gtw of 11,000 kgs. Obviously not possible but the trailer limit is what the vehicle can tow.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
The code 107 is on the C1+E group for those that passed test before Jan 1997 with a gvw of 7500kgs and a gtw of 8250kgs .
Licence group B+E for those that passed test before Jan 1997 has a gvw of 3500kgs with a gtw of 11,000 kgs. Obviously not possible but the trailer limit is what the vehicle can tow.

I beg to differ, It can and often does aply to cat B and or B+E. its in the RH code section of your licence.

Pete

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I beg to differ, It can and often does aply to cat B and or B+E. its in the RH code section of your licence.

Pete

But not in mine as I passed my test pre 1997.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Broken Link Removed
Managed it .:D

I would be reluctant to rely on that statement 1) because to so do would technically exceed the Plated mass. 2) The traffic officer concerned has stated where the load governs, the trailer should be weighed And doubtless issued with a Certified weighbridge ticket to that fact.

The Italics are mine.

I seriously contend, despite what he said, that the vast majority of Traffic officers / VOSA would take issue with a vehicle towing Potentially "overweight" "train"?. And suspect that ("you") could finish up having to argue the fact in Court (win or lose that is expensive). It`s a bit like "A" frames the DVLA some years back put out a statement which tried to clarify, and ended it with the caution (Paraphrased) "this opinion is subject to final interpretation by a court of law"!!. Quite a few Caravanner`s. tow below the manufacturers MIRO. (to stay within the limits of a smaller tow car) BUT in order to so do they have the caravan "down-rated" AND re-plated, which of course, could be done with a trailer.

Pete

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
But not in mine as I passed my test pre 1997.

So did I 1960 to be fair!. However I no longer have access to my pre 70th birthday licence to check, so will have to forgo any further discourse. It appears on none of my current Miserable "entitlements"!!. Unless or until I go for a Medical I would not know.

Pete

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
So did I 1960 to be fair!. However I no longer have access to my pre 70th birthday licence to check, so will have to forgo any further discourse. It appears on none of my current Miserable "entitlements"!!. Unless or until I go for a Medical I would not know.

Pete

Hi Pete
I did have a code 107 on my C1+E that I lost last year and until then had owned RVs within the 7500/8250 for around 10 years.
Now down to 3500kgs.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I would be reluctant to rely on that statement 1) because to so do would technically exceed the Plated mass. 2) The traffic officer concerned has stated where the load governs, the trailer should be weighed And doubtless issued with a Certified weighbridge ticket to that fact.

The Italics are mine.

I seriously contend, despite what he said, that the vast majority of Traffic officers / VOSA would take issue with a vehicle towing Potentially "overweight" "train"?. And suspect that ("you") could finish up having to argue the fact in Court (win or lose that is expensive). It`s a bit like "A" frames the DVLA some years back put out a statement which tried to clarify, and ended it with the caution (Paraphrased) "this opinion is subject to final interpretation by a court of law"!!. Quite a few Caravanner`s. tow below the manufacturers MIRO. (to stay within the limits of a smaller tow car) BUT in order to so do they have the caravan "down-rated" AND re-plated, which of course, could be done with a trailer.

Pete
I'm afraid I don't see the sense in your argument Peter, you cannot surely be prosecuted for a 'potential' offence, only for an actual offence??? If the Police etc stop you and accuse you of breaking the law surely they would have to prove it by weighing your 'rig', they can't just assume you're overweight and prosecute you for that ... or can they???

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting

The Italics are mine.

Pete
That's the same as saying " Man has a penis therefore he is a rapist " . Nonsensical argument that only the police could even think up. You can't be " theoretically " over anything . It is legal or it isn't. The only way to tell is weigh it. If it is weighed & under weight end of.

Deleted User
There seems to be a great deal of confusion between weight restrictions relating to overloading infringements and weight restrictions relating to driving licence requirements........they are two completely different sets of legislation.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I stick by what I wrote. We will just have to wait until someone is actually "pulled" and see what happens, After All I have a "Note" from the Supplier of an "A" frame in Spanish. which is backed up by a Record of discharge of a Fine by the Spanish Court. both of which would confirm that the legitimate use of an "A" frame on Spanish Road's, as a VISITOR. BUT we all know what the Spanish Police think of that!. And they are NO DIFFERENT here!.

Pete

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
I stick by what I wrote. We will just have to wait until someone is actually "pulled" and see what happens, After All I have a "Note" from the Supplier of an "A" frame in Spanish. which is backed up by a Record of discharge of a Fine by the Spanish Court. both of which would confirm that the legitimate use of an "A" frame on Spanish Road's, as a VISITOR. BUT we all know what the Spanish Police think of that!. And they are NO DIFFERENT here!.

Pete

Deleted User

Pete

You cannot be prosecuted for an overloading offence if you are not overloaded, ie within your plated weights on motorhome and trailer,

You can however be prosecuted for not having the correct licence.

No idea whatsoever what A frames have to do with this.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back