Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
Hi All,
Some advise would be appreciated.
Never really wanted to tow a car behind the MH as we were always happy to walk out with the dog to wherever we needed to go.
However dog is now getting older so long walks of 6/7 miles are out of the question (especially hills). He can manage 4 miles on the flat (and he seems to enjoy it) with an hours rest in between which works OK but we miss the hills!!

We were planning either the Lakes or Scotland in Sept but feel we won't really see much. However if we had a small car then maybe we could drive further afield, and then do our walking at the top of hills rather than hiking up them.
We are already half way there as we have the following.
  • Peugeot 107
  • Tow bar already fitted to MH

Do people think this is a good move?
Anyone recommend a company near Bristol that could convert the car?

Alternatively we could spend all our holidays in Norfolk!! :LOL:

Jan 22, 2019
Bucks
Funster No
MH
Adria PVC
Exp
Rented a few times...now an owner.
Is the tow bar designed and rated strong to tow a small car - If it’s a standard tow bar I suspect it would need to be replaced with something stronger ? That plus car conversion plus insurance company will need to know.

Could end up being quite a chunky investment …!

Upvote 1
Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
im a newbie
When we contacted our insurers with the same query (for our A frame), they submitted it to the underwriters who came back and said they class it as an accessory (and not modification). That was the Caravan and Motorhome club insurance (and previously, Comfort and Adrian Flux).
That is strange ...saga said they would ask the underwriters who said its an modification...just paid the extra could not get a better quote...caravan and motor home club were twice the price of saga ...

Upvote 1

Happy Jim

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 13, 2017
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9095DF
Exp
Since June 2017
If you fit a battery isolator on the positive terminal of the tow car and just isolate the battery when it's being towed it won't drain . The lights etc work from the mh so it doesn't need to be connected. It takes less than a minute to isolate etc.
Also an added anti theft bonus
Don’t do this on a car fitted with the LNB Towmaster system, it uses the cars battery to run a small Vac pump for the servo and an actuator for the brakes.

Cheers
Jim

Upvote 1
Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018

Or travel to TAF in Chesterfield. Well recommended. There are others.

It's a good idea for all the reasons you give.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AG 2602
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
Upvote 0
OP
OP
AG 2602
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
Is the tow bar designed and rated strong to tow a small car - If it’s a standard tow bar I suspect it would need to be replaced with something stronger ? That plus car conversion plus insurance company will need to know.

Could end up being quite a chunky investment …!
I'm sure the tow bar will be fine but I'll get it checked out by the fitter if I plan to go ahead.
Didn't think about insurance I'll give them a call Thanks(y)

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
im a newbie
hi its the cars insurance ,when you tell them its been modified, some wont insure it because its not on the list ,,,mine went up £45 ,,they said its a bodywork modification,, saga insured it after a few phone calls

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AG 2602
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
hi its the cars insurance ,when you tell them its been modified, some wont insure it because its not on the list ,,,mine went up £45 ,,they said its a bodywork modification,, saga insured it after a few phone calls
Thanks I'll check that out with them. I thought someone would want some cash!! ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile:

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
im a newbie
Thanks I'll check that out with them. I thought someone would want some cash!! ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile: ::bigsmile:
when you do an online quote its never listed for a modification ,,,so you put ,,other,, down go though all the questions for 20 mins only for them to say (sorry cant insure this ) done it a few times ..and unless your very strong,, i found the heavy manual braked frame was nightmare to use and store ,,i just had new one fitted from towaframe so easy to fit and comes in a little storage bag ,,only 9 kg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Towbars 2 Towcars is near Immingham but well worth the extra miles. Their customer service is second to none and it is their only business
Great bit of kit. Very easy to put on and take off, folds up and fits in the boot, all fastenings removed when off, electronically controlled braking system. Whoever designed it got it spot on.

Upvote 0
Nov 6, 2018
Cambridgeshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740C A class
Exp
Im a Newbie
We have the same motorhome as you have 2020 Pilote G740C and we tow an Aygo which was converted by Towbars 2 Towcars. Hardly notice it's on the back except we see it on the camera still get approx 30mpg (9 speed Auto) moho's been remapped.

Upvote 0
Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
Hi All,
Some advise would be appreciated.
Never really wanted to tow a car behind the MH as we were always happy to walk out with the dog to wherever we needed to go.
However dog is now getting older so long walks of 6/7 miles are out of the question (especially hills). He can manage 4 miles on the flat (and he seems to enjoy it) with an hours rest in between which works OK but we miss the hills!!

We were planning either the Lakes or Scotland in Sept but feel we won't really see much. However if we had a small car then maybe we could drive further afield, and then do our walking at the top of hills rather than hiking up them.
We are already half way there as we have the following.
  • Peugeot 107
  • Tow bar already fitted to MH

Do people think this is a good move?
Anyone recommend a company near Bristol that could convert the car?

Alternatively we could spend all our holidays in Norfolk!! :LOL:
We ended up getting a tow car for the same reasons...an ageing dog. We love the flexibility it provides.

We used LNB Towbars in Bristol (Aztec West, Bristol) - they were very helpful. Great system (Towmaster 2), easy to fix and remove, all stowable in the boot.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
When we contacted our insurers with the same query (for our A frame), they submitted it to the underwriters who came back and said they class it as an accessory (and not modification). That was the Caravan and Motorhome club insurance (and previously, Comfort and Adrian Flux).

Upvote 0

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
hi what insurance company are you saying weren't interested ,,i tried about 6 ,,?
Comfort wasn‘t interested we were towing and LV wasn’t interested that we had made Angela’s car into a toad.

74B59540-0A1F-43FE-B660-A4FB9F1490F7.jpeg

Upvote 0
Oct 5, 2019
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
autotrail
Exp
im a newbie
Not had a problem with motorhome insurance...Comfort its the car ...insurance..LV were more expensive...when the added the a frame...

Upvote 0

Deleted User
That is strange ...saga said they would ask the underwriters who said its an modification...just paid the extra could not get a better quote...caravan and motor home club were twice the price of saga ...
Perhaps it was cheaper all round if its half the price of the company we used. Might give saga a try, as we use them for our house policy.👍🏼

Upvote 0
OP
OP
AG 2602
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
Our 15 yr old girl can’t do the miles now either. Dog cart solved our problems. Just an alternative thought.
Cush
Yes sad isn’t it, when they can’t do what they used to. Ours is 12 and is fine on the flat and still gets very excited to go out but any hills and we’d have to sit and wait for him😂
I have looked at carts but to be honest I’m not sure he’d take to it!
He still enjoys going away in the van that we bought for him, so that’s the most important thing!

Upvote 0
May 30, 2021
Funster No
MH
Trigano Tribute
For our small dog (shih tzu) we use a rucksack - originally a basic dog specific one from Amazon, now we've modified a good quality child carrier as it has a far better back system (from a proper rucksack manufacturer, so fully adjustable). He can stand and look out, or curl up and go to sleep.
The means we can walk as far as we want, and when he's had enough or wants a rest he can get in the sack and I'll carry him. He's going blind, so finds it stressful to be in places with lots of people (like towns) even when he's not tired - the rucksack lets him come with us everywhere and if he is walking tail down we offer the bag to him; he'll sometimes stand up to be lifted in, other times he'll want to continue walking and walk around it. His choice! It's also really nice as he can put his head up by mine, and I can talk to him as we go.

Probably not ideal for a larger dog though, unless you are particularly strong.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back