Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
Hi

Just saw thread regarding Trailers having to have MOT/Registration Doc & Reg Plates?

I know that in Spain/Italy/etc 5th wheel Truck artics have a second number on the Trailer to show the trailer reg.

Anyone have any info ref 5vers?

Thanks In Advance

A Nt & Debs

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
a 5ver is classed as a caravan, you should really comply with the 2 backboards on the rear of the vehicle as they are clamping down and in some areas if you dont have them you will be looking at an instant fine.
the link below is for the marker boards.

HGV Direct truck and trailer parts online - PAIR MARKER BOARDS ECE70 REG 565MM X 200MM

This on some forums has been well debated as to wether or not people will use them, personally i would spannish police are not over friendly at times especially the guardia national ( they are the ones that have guns), and its not as if they are expensive. These plates are supposed to be used on all combinations of vehicles that exceed a total length of 12mtrs

The following i have copied from the post of another forum

"A colleague has contacted Barcelona police who say that yes, it is the law, but is not "generally" enforced against foreign tourists ( lest they may not come again) but "occaisionally" an over zealous officer may do so, and since it is actually an offence, the penalty will stand"

On my old 5ver i had a yellow plate with orange/red border with long vehicle written in black on it but have lost it (put it safe so safe i cant find it) so havent got anything for this one yet, then again i havent taken this one over there yet as we usually go march/april time

Last edited:
OP
OP
Ant&Debs

Ant&Debs

Free Member
Jun 24, 2009
Alvorge,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Rockwood Fiver
Exp
2 years long time ago
a 5ver is classed as a caravan, you should really comply with the 2 backboards on the rear of the vehicle as they are clamping down and in some areas if you dont have them you will be looking at an instant fine.
the link below is for the marker boards.

HGV Direct truck and trailer parts online - PAIR MARKER BOARDS ECE70 REG 565MM X 200MM

This on some forums has been well debated as to wether or not people will use them, personally i would spannish police are not over friendly at times especially the guardia national ( they are the ones that have guns), and its not as if they are expensive. These plates are supposed to be used on all combinations of vehicles that exceed a total length of 12mtrs

The following i have copied from the post of another forum

"A colleague has contacted Barcelona police who say that yes, it is the law, but is not "generally" enforced against foreign tourists ( lest they may not come again) but "occaisionally" an over zealous officer may do so, and since it is actually an offence, the penalty will stand"

On my old 5ver i had a yellow plate with orange/red border with long vehicle written in black on it but have lost it (put it safe so safe i cant find it) so havent got anything for this one yet, then again i havent taken this one over there yet as we usually go march/april time

Thanks Chatter

I have already earmarked those just concerned regarding what paper work etc i would require for the 5ver

Ant

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Deleted User
Hi, there are lots of 5ers and caravans used temporarily in Spain and other continental countries with no problems regarding separate registration and MOT requirements. The temporary nature of the arrangement could possibly(but unlikely) be a problem, as far as I am aware temporary means less than 3 months, after this the vehicle should in theory be re-registered in that country(this also applies to the towing unit).Lots of people have been overwintering etc in Spain and other countries for many years without problem and i have never heard of this being an issue with the Spanish authorities as long as the vehicle is legal in the UK.
Personally we make sure we have the relevant marker boards mentioned and carry proof of purchase in the UK just in case.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
I have copied all the paperwork for us, our vehicle and van and keep it in a folder wih us.
eg. passports, driving licences, logbook, purchase invoice for both vehicle and van, dogs passport, emergancy contact numbers etc. i take the real ones with us and apart from passports and driving licences, hide them in the van the copies i keep in the vehicle, if the origional is needed i would only show them at a police station.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back