Tow bar for Welcome 718EB (1 Viewer)

Manuman55

Free Member
Dec 30, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 718EB
Exp
Hi, we are new to the motorhome circle and recently bought a 2016 Welcome 718EB and are now looking at having a tower fitted so that we can tow a small car, such as a Toyota Aygo. Has any one any experience/ knowledge on wether one can be fitted as I am seeing things regarding payload etc and thing it may not be possible. Thanks Greg

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
to start with you need the details from the v5 or plate under the bonnet, axle load, gvw and gtw. plus you need to weigh the van on a weighbridge loaded as if on holiday
these figures will let you know if fitting a towbar is feasible and how much you can tow

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
to start with you need the details from the v5 or plate under the bonnet, axle load, gvw and gtw. plus you need to weigh the van on a weighbridge loaded as if on holiday
these figures will let you know if fitting a towbar is feasible and how much you can tow

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Hi Greg,

By my reckoning you will not have any available payload to fit a 40kg towbar if your van is registered at 3.5T.

You may find that you've already exceeded your payload by a good chunk in normal touring guise so you need to visit a weighbridge to verify the figures.

Cheers,

Andrew

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I also suspect you might need to fit Air assist suspension on the back axle because of the rear overhang on the 7.5mtrs van.

We had fitted a tow bar to a 7mtr motorhome (90" overhang) and the mountings knocked on the ground a far bit. We had a Easylifter and most of the weight is on its wheels and not the back of the motorhome.

Are you going to use a Toad or trailer? As the nose weight of the trailer will be supported by the rear axle.

The spec's on your van only advise just under 400kgs payload. That is not a lot so as advised earlier I would put it across a weigh bridge to measure each axle.

I suspect when you are in touring trim you will be very near or possibly over the rear axle loading now.

With a tow bar and trailer you may well have up to 140kgs hanging approx 8ft behind the centre line of the axle.

Watling Engineers near St Albans fitted our last tow bar on our PVC and they have a calculator on their web page. (I can't get the web page to load at the moment and hopefully it is just a short term problem).

But you can locate them Broken Link Removed :xThumb:

And welcome to MotorhomeFun. :welco:

OP
OP
Manuman55

Manuman55

Free Member
Dec 30, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 718EB
Exp
Thanks guys for all your help. I have spoken to the dealer where I bought the vehicle and he states that they have fitted many tow bars without any problem..... will contact Chausson themselves see what they have to say, all very confusing.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I have spoken to the dealer where I bought the vehicle and he states that they have fitted many tow bars without any problem..... will contact Chausson themselves see what they have to say, all very confusing.

The dealer (and chausson ) would say that... at the end of the day they will be happy to fit but its still your responsibility i suspect..(it isnt their problem if you are overweight )
The best advice you got was get to a weigh bridge and find out for fact what you are dealing with.
Andy.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Thanks guys for all your help. I have spoken to the dealer where I bought the vehicle and he states that they have fitted many tow bars without any problem..... will contact Chausson themselves see what they have to say, all very confusing.
In generay dealers don't have a clue about payloads an axle loading. As Andy says they will be quite happy to take your money and let you drive away with an illegal vehicle.

I don't see it being possible with such a low payload if you are on the 3500 kg chassis, if you change the tyres and fit sir suspension to increase the rear axle loading it may be possible. But if you have a 4250/4500 kg chassis it should be fine

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Have to agree with above comments. Dealers won't care and will soon take your money. At least your asking the right questions on here.
If you are ever stopped for being overloaded the dealer won't pay your fine. !!

Check weights first and see how much a towbar will add, second is be aware you will need a towbar that has type approval, legal requirement since April 2012 on motorhomes. Last check what weight you can pull with that vehicle and also that you have the license category to legally tow / drive the weight combination.
Good luck.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
In the owner's manual for our Chausson (different model) it clearly stated that a tow bar should not be fitted.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
In the owner's manual for our Chausson (different model) it clearly stated that a tow bar should not be fitted.

We were also told by a dealer that fitting a tow bar "would be no problem".

OP
OP
Manuman55

Manuman55

Free Member
Dec 30, 2018
Funster No
MH
Chausson Welcome 718EB
Exp
Have checked the VIN plate which shows that the GTW as 6150 and GVW as 3650 so leaves 2500 and only need less than 1000 for the car etc.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Have checked the VIN plate which shows that the GTW as 6150 and GVW as 3650 so leaves 2500 and only need less than 1000 for the car etc.

Just one more time... cause im not sure you are picking up on the point been made by the folk who have posted advice ... you need to get your vehicle weighed (y)..
You keep quoting your plated info and it may indeed be ok for you to go ahead.. but the only way you will know for sure if you will be within your stated allowable weights both gross and max axel (especially the rear ) is to know what your weights are when you are in travelling trim now(y)
..Sorry if im labouring the point ..
Andy.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
need less than 1000 for the car etc.
If you intend towing the car as a toad the relevant weight, like any trailer, is the cars GROSS weight even if the car is empty.
The weight of the A frame also counts as payload on the van
The Aygo, depending on model, is between 1180kg and 1245kg GROSS WEIGHT.
Still well within your plated limits but worth mentioning.
If you intend putting it on a trailer the cars weight is immaterial providing the trailers GROSS weight isn't exceeded.
The trailers nose weight also counts as payload on the van

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back