To tow or not to tow? And how? (1 Viewer)

Jun 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxdrive 680ME
Exp
None
I really want to take my motorbike (and maybe one for the wife too) along on trips but wonder just how much of a drag it would be towing a trailer? (Pun not intended but it is a good one, isn't it?)

And if we do take a trailer, how much unwelcome attention would we get with bikes on an uncovered trailer compared to a box trailer? Because the price of box trailers.... phew!

Interested in your opinions and experiences to help in the decision making process

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I used to tow a trailer ( open one ) and never once had a problem with oiks
Started with it for the Blackbird and eded up using it for the two road legal dirt bikes
About the only thing I did was to put a lock between the trailer and the motorhome and the bike(s) to the trailer when we plotted up any where

There is an argument for both types of trailer .. I chancer may well be more interested in a box trailer simply because they think there is untold riches hidden away !!

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
Payload can become an issue without a trailer. With a trailer you have extra carrying space, again helping your payload.
The other side of the question is reversing and additional length on ferries.
Personally, as I do not need to carry a motorbike and do not have a trailer, I would opt for a trailer because of its advantages although more expensive.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 21, 2017
Funster No
Yep, I have a similar dilemma , want to take my bike but don’t fancy reversing the Moho with a trailer on the back.
I’ve done plenty of towing in the past with a caravans and trailers, never a problem, I could see what was happening behind!
I might take a look at YOremorque trailers, a French manufacture, they look as though they make the reversing bit a little easier.
Any one own or used one?........oh forgot to say , the YOremorqes are bloody expensive!

Apr 9, 2018
Worcestershire
Funster No
MH
Bailey Adamo 75-4t
Exp
March 2018
I have a Motolug trailer. Brilliant. It dismantles if you were ever to have a space problem on a site.

I too chain the trailer to the MoHo then the bike to the trailer. As I'm about to fit an A Frame to my toad I may sell the Motolug if you are interested.

Cheers

prb

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 10, 2015
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
Four years
I have a MotoLug but mainly use a HydraTrail Easylifter which is rated to 250 kg and puts little weight on the towbar. It copes with a Speed Triple beautifully and reversing is a doddle. Only down side is the faff loading and unloading. SWMBO now complaining about the pillion seat so considering the upcoming Tiger 900 GT.

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
After much humming and hawing I went this way, that's it in single mode.

IMG_20191020_165331622_HDR.jpg

750kg MGW, unbraked, extra wide.

Just like life it's a wee bit of a compromise. It has a full frame with tailored heavy duty commercial tarp/cover with Velcro sealing and locking eyelets on the rear flap, heavy duty axle, wheels and tyres, its got a small ramp and tilts for loading. It fits in my garage, just, if I take the upper frame and tarp off and let some air out the tyres.

It is Polish but has the full EU conformity certs, galvanised steel through out. There are several companies that do them (Wycavon? on EBAY) springs to mind and I think new would be about £1500 +/- OTR depending how you specked it.

I bought it off a nice man off this very website for a good price of £1000. Drove it all the way back from Liverpool to Irvine and my Pilote barely noticed it was there. Mind you I have a 3lt auto, so that does make a difference.

Ironically I have yet to use it in anger. I have a KTM Adv and SWMBO rides a triumph bonny 1200. They have a combined weight with the trailer of about 600kg giving me a margin of about 150kg which is nice.

I have added two bump-stops and reinforced the floor where

IMG_20191020_165331622_HDR.jpg

I mounted them. That cost about £90 to DIY. Heavy marine ply, paint, bolts, washers, etc. It came with several tie down points but I have fitted 3 more for about £10.

I did look at box trailers but they are stupid pricey and can't really be justified for the 3-4 times a year I may use it for the bikes. Bear in mind that Twin axles over 750kg, AFAIK, are about to be required to get an MOT and where are you going to keep it so the scrotes don't half inch it?

I also looked a motolug, they are the business and very sturdy, if you are limited for storage that would be the way to go. I very nearly bought one but got a good deal on my current trailer; go for the doubler, they are about £1400 new and not much less 2nd hand! If you can find one....

Make sure you check out the insurance for a trailer, it is something of a grey area. Don't rush to buy, there are plenty out there and this is a good time to get one. The good thing about a decent 2nd hand trailer is that they really hold their value, if you buy one that turns out to be less than ideal it won't lose value when you come to sell it.

Just my tuppence worth, if you have any further questions don't hesitate

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Oh, and for all you out there suffering from 'trailer induced reversing anxiety' there is a simple, full proof way of doing it...

If you ask nicely I will tell you how its done.

Mind you, I have a full HGV ticket so I have an advantage!

But honestly, its not as hard as you think.

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
Interested in your opinions and experiences to help in the decision making process

We tow a trailer with our two Harleys on all over Europe, as it let's us do some riding in great places! :). We used to have them uncovered, but got right fed up with the cleaning each time we arrived somewhere, so made a frame and cover so they are nice a clean when we arrive now. They are Harleys so they need to shine :D

Never had any security issues, bikes are well strapped to the trailer, trailer hitch is locked to the tow ball which is locked to the PVC. They are also insured!

The advantage of a covered trailer when on site is that it provides a useful shed for items such as push bikes, sun loungers, etc.

And towing is not difficult. Find an empty car park to practise reversing in until you're semi confident as you don't want to make an a... of yourself onsite!:). Easy for those of us that have been reversing trailers all our lives, I learnt in the RAF 50 years ago. There's some useful videos on Youtube, just take your time and don't panic:D

Mick

May 23, 2019
Norfolkshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano
Exp
Since 2019
I have a MotoLug but mainly use a HydraTrail Easylifter which is rated to 250 kg and puts little weight on the towbar. It copes with a Speed Triple beautifully and reversing is a doddle. Only down side is the faff loading and unloading. SWMBO now complaining about the pillion seat so considering the upcoming Tiger 900 GT.

Plus one for the HydraTrail, I use one for my BMW R1200gs and it copes admirably. Reversing is easy as it effectively uses oversized castor wheels and is attached directly to the tow bar and not onto a tow ball so I think goes where you point it. Also has the advantage of being side loading so is much shorter that a conventional trailer.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I would take the cert of conform with a pinch of salt.
My Polish built (Comfort brand) came with one..... The single fog light is on the N/S (wrong side)
A single fog must be mounted on the O/S for UK travel.

OP
OP
K
Jun 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxdrive 680ME
Exp
None
Thanks everyone, I certainly had a Motolug in my sights (David and Sally!) but may have to go for the twin model, if my wife follows through with her riding plans. Your trailer looks great Bonkers, I like it. I like the idea of having space to carry our biking gear in/on the trailer (locked in of course) and also our bikes, instead of on the van. Maybe that idea of using a light frame and a cover is the compromise between open and box..... Never thought of the dirt issue tuscancouple.

If trailers hold their value so well I may just buy a single Motolug while the wife is making up her mind......

OP
OP
K
Jun 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxdrive 680ME
Exp
None
Oh, and for all you out there suffering from 'trailer induced reversing anxiety' there is a simple, full proof way of doing it...

I'll bite Bonkers, tell me how. I've towed lots of trailers but always interested in learning things I may not know so very curious to learn from an expert

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I'll bite Bonkers, tell me how. I've towed lots of trailers but always interested in learning things I may not know so very curious to learn from an expert
The way I learnt was turn the steering wheel the opposite way to how you want the trailer to turn until it begins to turn then the opposite to maintain the turn.
Or easier to get your head round.... .the trailer turns the same way as the front of the van.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012

I often just unhitch and manoeuvre, often quicker and easier than a lot faffing around and embarrassment.

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Yup, I agree, keeping my babies clean and free of road muck was the single biggest factor that caused me to go with my current choice, especially as SWMBO thinks her new 1200 Bonny has the Triumph self cleaning option fitted! I told her in the Glasgow Cathedral of Triump, sorry, quietly advised her, that all that chrome would be a bugger to clean and that she should go for the stealth Bobber instead. I now know why she wasn't bothered about that...

So, the reversing trick. It was taught to me on my original HGV course by my instructor when I kept making an absolute hash of conducting the large 'S' reversing manoeuvre into a restricted parking bay in a large tractor/trailer unit; it was driving me nutz! I was most definitely getting a severe bout of 'trailer reversing anxiety'.

Firstly, relax. Take your time, get out an scout the manoeuvre before conducting it and if possible get a guide/marshaller to see you back and make sure they can be seen, give clear pre arranged signals and know what and where you want to be.

Note your hazards, possible obstructions, soft ground and key points for turning and stopping.

Make sure your initial approach leaves your unit in as straight a configuration as you can; if you start off squint you will have to correct from the get-go and it can quickly go skewiff. I can't stress that enough, starting arrow straight is the key to a good and satisfying reverse!

Now, you will see on my trailer that the rear light project out from the rear end on either side of the trailer, like a set of feelers, most handy. I am sure its the law now, but if you don't have them fit them, or flags, or anything that projects out and can be clearly seen.

Sit in the drivers seat and look ahead, there is no looking back involved in this.

Ensure that you can see both trailer limit markers equally in both mirrors sticking out equally past your back end.

Start reversing into your desired slot. Take your time, listen/watch for instructions from your guide if need be; move at no more than a walking pace, its not a race and your'e NOT Beau Duke trying to impress Daisy!

As you reverse keep looking forward and just watch your trailer markers in your mirrors. If you can see them both equally all is well - continue.

Should you see one of the markers start to disappear from view and become obscured by your van then it is simply a matter of applying a small steering input to the OPPOSITE side of that diminishing marker. It will quickly come back into view, when they are equal again straighten up and continue. Repeat as much as required.

If it all goes south don't get flustered and try and over correct, especially small single axle types, they move quite quickly and can pivot up against your back end fast and if you become frustrated, angry or inattentive, damage can quickly occur; just reset straight again and repeat.

Don't be pressured by on lookers, nay sayers, arm chair experts and beer swilling dafties!

Simples; and fool proof.

Once I was told the method, over a five minute input, all anxiety evaporated and I aced my test the next day. I know from experience that this method will work on a trailer of any size, anywhere as the basic 'physics' of it never changes. I've put some large loads into some small places...as they say.

Also....use your reversing camera!

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
We tow a trailer with our two Harleys on all over Europe, as it let's us do some riding in great places! :). We used to have them uncovered, but got right fed up with the cleaning each time we arrived somewhere, so made a frame and cover so they are nice a clean when we arrive now. They are Harleys so they need to shine :D

Never had any security issues, bikes are well strapped to the trailer, trailer hitch is locked to the tow ball which is locked to the PVC. They are also insured!

The advantage of a covered trailer when on site is that it provides a useful shed for items such as push bikes, sun loungers, etc.

And towing is not difficult. Find an empty car park to practise reversing in until you're semi confident as you don't want to make an a... of yourself onsite!:). Easy for those of us that have been reversing trailers all our lives, I learnt in the RAF 50 years ago. There's some useful videos on Youtube, just take your time and don't panic:D

Mick

How do sites react when you turn up with a big trailer? Do they charge extra? Ever get refused? And how about ferries, whats the skinny on that one?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yup, I agree, keeping my babies clean and free of road muck was the single biggest factor that caused me to go with my current choice, especially as SWMBO thinks her new 1200 Bonny has the Triumph self cleaning option fitted! I told her in the Glasgow Cathedral of Triump, sorry, quietly advised her, that all that chrome would be a bugger to clean and that she should go for the stealth Bobber instead. I now know why she wasn't bothered about that...

So, the reversing trick. It was taught to me on my original HGV course by my instructor when I kept making an absolute hash of conducting the large 'S' reversing manoeuvre into a restricted parking bay in a large tractor/trailer unit; it was driving me nutz! I was most definitely getting a severe bout of 'trailer reversing anxiety'.

Firstly, relax. Take your time, get out an scout the manoeuvre before conducting it and if possible get a guide/marshaller to see you back and make sure they can be seen, give clear pre arranged signals and know what and where you want to be.

Note your hazards, possible obstructions, soft ground and key points for turning and stopping.

Make sure your initial approach leaves your unit in as straight a configuration as you can; if you start off squint you will have to correct from the get-go and it can quickly go skewiff. I can't stress that enough, starting arrow straight is the key to a good and satisfying reverse!

Now, you will see on my trailer that the rear light project out from the rear end on either side of the trailer, like a set of feelers, most handy. I am sure its the law now, but if you don't have them fit them, or flags, or anything that projects out and can be clearly seen.

Sit in the drivers seat and look ahead, there is no looking back involved in this.

Ensure that you can see both trailer limit markers equally in both mirrors sticking out equally past your back end.

Start reversing into your desired slot. Take your time, listen/watch for instructions from your guide if need be; move at no more than a walking pace, its not a race and your'e NOT Beau Duke trying to impress Daisy!

As you reverse keep looking forward and just watch your trailer markers in your mirrors. If you can see them both equally all is well - continue.

Should you see one of the markers start to disappear from view and become obscured by your van then it is simply a matter of applying a small steering input to the OPPOSITE side of that diminishing marker. It will quickly come back into view, when they are equal again straighten up and continue. Repeat as much as required.

If it all goes south don't get flustered and try and over correct, especially small single axle types, they move quite quickly and can pivot up against your back end fast and if you become frustrated, angry or inattentive, damage can quickly occur; just reset straight again and repeat.

Don't be pressured by on lookers, nay sayers, arm chair experts and beer swilling dafties!

Simples; and fool proof.

Once I was told the method, over a five minute input, all anxiety evaporated and I aced my test the next day. I know from experience that this method will work on a trailer of any size, anywhere as the basic 'physics' of it never changes. I've put some large loads into some small places...as they say.

Also....use your reversing camera!
That's a straight line reverse sorted.
Now you need to reverse onto your pitch which is at 90° to the single lane access road and there's vehicles directly opposite. The two adjacent pitch are occupied.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I manage quite well.
Can't remember the last time I turned and looked backwards when reversing.
Only had one mishap, drive 60 miles with an Unladen bike trailer on the back of a transit spec frame recovery truck.
Got back to base and reversed into my parking spot using just the drivers side mirror... Forgot the trailer was attached until the n/s rear wheel started skipping. :Eeek:

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Must be a transit curse. When I were a lad I reversed a very heavily laden transit into its usual parking space in an underground garage and proceeded to unload her. All was well and off I went to the pub.

Came back to work the next day and mounted the old steed to conduct the days business.

As I drove away all I could here was an awful deep, tortured scraping sound that made me jump out of my skin. I did a quick walkaround and couldn't see any damage and then realised it was the roof.

AS I had unloaded her she had risen quite a bit on her struts and touched an air-con duct on the ceiling, I now had two nice new shiny grooves, about 18 inches long on the roof where some stanchion bolts had gouged in. Not Happy! Boss not happy, Dad not happy as he was my Boss!

I still look at underground garage ceilings when parking to this day and that happened in '87!

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
How do sites react when you turn up with a big trailer? Do they charge extra? Ever get refused? And how about ferries, whats the skinny on that one?

Providing we can fit on the pitch we've never had any problems with the trailer on campsites, there's many people towing these days. Ferries and ET do charge extra.

Couple of points on reversing, we used to have a USRV so the whole outfit was about 14m with the trailer being narrower than the RV and single axle, so it changed direction quickly! My wife would always direct the reverse, if she said "stop" I stopped dead, if I couldn't see her in the mirrors I stopped dead, safety as she could have tripped etc. We used walkie talkies, no shouting or mad arm waving, as we had worked out what would be said and when :)

As has already been mentioned, with a single axle changes of direction can happen swiftly, worst case is a jackknife so when she says stop, I stop?

Mick

Bonkers the Dog

Free Member
Nov 9, 2018
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
2 yrs
Cheers for that info, appreciated. Yup, the walkie talkie thing is a good idea, as long as the kids don't lose one of them; wee rascals! I can still use the other one but I don't know who's listening.

All that, "Stop, left right, back, forward, up, NO UP, ahhhh that's it darling..." might give them the wrong idea of how we are using them!

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Check out 'Zello' in the app stores, it turns your phones into walkie talkies using your data connection. Works brilliantly. I sometimes message Ann when I'm out and it always makes her jump. There's even a Roger beep on it ?

prb

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 10, 2015
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
Four years
Check out 'Zello' in the app stores, it turns your phones into walkie talkies using your data connection. Works brilliantly. I sometimes message Ann when I'm out and it always makes her jump. There's even a Roger beep on it ?
I am part of a bunch called Unity Support Riders. We use Zello to coordinate our cover. The last event we covered was the PC Harper Ride of Respect. Zello worked faultlessly across a fair chunk of Oxfordshire

prb

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 10, 2015
Aldershot
Funster No
MH
Low profile coachbuilt
Exp
Four years
Thanks everyone, I certainly had a Motolug in my sights (David and Sally!) but may have to go for the twin model, if my wife follows through with her riding plans. Your trailer looks great Bonkers, I like it. I like the idea of having space to carry our biking gear in/on the trailer (locked in of course) and also our bikes, instead of on the van. Maybe that idea of using a light frame and a cover is the compromise between open and box..... Never thought of the dirt issue tuscancouple.

If trailers hold their value so well I may just buy a single Motolug while the wife is making up her mind......
MotoLug sell a kit that converts their single trailer into a twin. I went straight for the twin, that has only ever been used as a single. Doesn't keep it/them clean of course, but then neither does riding!

Apr 6, 2019
Eye, Peterborough, UK
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
FourWinds Windsport 6.8L V10
Can't find the link but someone on a FB groiuop was looking to sell a very large "dog trailer" that could easily accomodate 2 bikes .... i.e. 2nd market is there if you have the time to browse?

OP
OP
K
Jun 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxdrive 680ME
Exp
None
This is all very interesting, I like your set-up Bonkers, it just looks right. (Any pictures of your set up tuscancouple?) And I cant get away from the idea of leveraging the need for a trailer by then using it to carry bike gear, pushbikes etc.

tuscancouple

Free Member
Oct 8, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2007
(Any pictures of your set up @tuscancouple?)

Here's a few from when we were going to sell the trailer. Had a re-think and changed our minds! So now when we plan to take a long stay trip we have a large box that takes the motorcycle gear and bike gear, plus a drive away awning. :)

Mick

OP
OP
K
Jun 8, 2019
Funster No
MH
Knaus Boxdrive 680ME
Exp
None
Here's a few from when we were going to sell the trailer. Had a re-think and changed our minds! So now when we plan to take a long stay trip we have a large box that takes the motorcycle gear and bike gear, plus a drive away awning. :)

Mick
Thanks. Very easy loading. Seems to be the way to go

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back