To Spain without tolls (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Get yourself a sanef toll tag they only charge class 2 we got our free using the tunnel our van is 4250kg and pulling a car trailer just drive through Lorry toll gates don't even stop probably saved the cost in fuel this year

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Get yourself a sanef toll tag they only charge class 2 we got our free using the tunnel our van is 4250kg and pulling a car trailer just drive through Lorry toll gates don't even stop probably saved the cost in fuel this year

I thought you could only use the sanef toll tag if you were under 3500kg, and it it the same system in Portugal?

Martin

Just checked the sanef uk website and vehicles over 3500kg and over 3 metres in height are not eligible to use the Liber-t, so possibly somebody wasn't asking the right questions when you got yours.

Last edited:
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
They don't ask any questions t
I thought you could only use the sanef toll tag if you were under 3500kg, and it it the same system in Portugal?

Martin

Just checked the sanef uk website and vehicles over 3500kg and over 3 metres in height are not eligible to use the Liber-t, so possibly somebody wasn't asking the right questions when you got yours.
There are lots of motorhomers using them with bigger rigs, they only work in France.e

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 25, 2014
Salford
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic 5.0i
Exp
Since 2015
:WelcomeFlag: Welcome to Spain, we have arrived at San Sebastián.

In tolls we have paid exactly nothing, zilch,nada, nowt, ZERO.

OK a little bit would not have hurt but has been interesting going without. We are 8.5 metres and nearly 6 tons and have not had any problems.

Today was the stretch from Nersac which is close to Angouleme so we started on the N10/A10 and the the A63 which is a good motorway but has a toll after junction 18 so we had a little detour along the D834 through Moustey and then right at Pissos and joined the motorway at junction 17, these two villages were very pretty and would make a nice coffee stop. The A63 is a good motorway but borrrrriing so coming off now and again is a relief.
We then came off again at junction 12 and followed the D824/D810 through Dax and then Bayonne, Biarritz and St Jean de Luz before arriving at San Sebastián.

230 miles in 7 hours with a stop for gas and one for lunch, nice drive but again the last 40 miles are pretty slow.

The temperature was 21 degrees this afternoon and the diesel in Spain is 77.9 cents per litre.

With the money we have saved we have just paid €3.25 on the Aire in San Sebastián.

Martin

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well we have been at Camperstop Messines a week now and if we don't think about moving soon we may just take root here.

Whent to the local market yesterday with Kath and Howie and then whent to a little cafe, sat drinking coffee and Howie says "there is a penis behind the bar" well I thought that no way to talk about a bloke that makes really good coffee.
image.jpeg

Oh so there is!

This is the site this morning.

image.jpeg

That's us with the awning shading the fridge from the hot sun.

image.jpeg

Broken Link Removed
image.jpg

This is a German Stauber liner 8.6 metres with a smart car in the garage, if you look at the web site it is one there before it red stripes.

Martin

canopus

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2010
rural Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Carado CV640 Pro
Exp
Since 2010
Stauber are amazing buses Martin but you have to agree they are damn ugly. Wonder what the flat front does for the mpg?

If you fancy one, their 2015 demonstrator with only 2000kM on the clock is for sale, but looks decidedly dated inside, and pig ugly outside.

Broken Link Removed

Last edited:
OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Stauber are amazing buses Martin but you have to agree they are damn ugly. Wonder what the flat front does for the mpg?

If you fancy one, their 2015 demonstrator with only 2000kM on the clock is for sale, but looks decidedly dated inside, and pig ugly outside.

Broken Link Removed
Hi Ken

Been in this one and the guy loves it, but errrrrrr not for me thanks.

Martin

Ps the one in your link looks better but very dark in that corridor to the bedroom.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Been out a walk today with Andre that runs the site and a load of Danish that have turned up for a few days, plus Kath (Madwife), started the day quite fresh but up to about 20 plus by lunch.
image.jpeg

Jen and Kath bringing up the rear.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Nice and green at the moment, will be quite spectacular when all the wild Lupins and the Rock Rose are in full flower.

image.jpeg

This is a cork oak, I know it looks like it has been in a fire but it is where they have stripped the cork (bark) from the tree, they only go so far up as it get too porous. Many of the trees you see that have been stripped have a number on and this is the year that they were stripped as it will be 9 years until they are stripped again. The interesting bit is that after the cork is stripped off it is then ground down and with the addition of a little water and the natural resins in the ground cork it is then moulded into the shape that you see in a bottle.

Martin

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
As much as I like German build quality Martin, I have to agree that I find those Staubers right ugly looking beasts. :(

Cheers,

Jock. :)

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012

Broken Link Removed
Hi Ken

Been in this one and the guy loves it, but errrrrrr not for me thanks.

Martin

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well we have left Portugal, it was only a fleeting visit to bump into Nigel and Pamala @Sundowners we stopped in the one place Camperstop Messines and thoroughly enjoyed it and will be back next year hopefully.

Back into Spain, last night was at Seville and then on to Córdoba today, there is a large Aire real handy for the old city but it's peeing down at the moment so it might have to wait for tomorrow. The entrance is into a car park with a barrier and then a sharp left turn without really giving you enough room but we managed, loads of spaces but all on a slope.

Martin

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Hi Martin and Jen

Glad your enjoying your trip. Are you planning to do Alhambra? Its a wonderful place and Granada is nice. You can but tickets in advance from La caixa ATMs in Spain, cant remember how much but massively cheaper than ROGB.

Jon n& sue

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Quick walk into Cordoba last night after it stopped raining and sat in a bar when it started again, the bit we saw showed promise for today.

Well today started cloudy and long trousers for the first time in 3 weeks, walked the few 100 metres into the old town from the aire, found tourist info and hit the sights, nice old place forca wander and beer and Tapas.

Went into the Mezquita Cathedral which is basically a Mosque with a Church built inside it quite strange but a fantastic space, we didn't count them but 850 arches make up the Mosque part of it.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Martin

Last edited:
OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Quick run around the Alkazar in Córdoba this morning and then hit the road heading for Granada.

Sunday so roads very very quiet, good road most of the way except about 10 km signed as mal (sick or poorly) beautiful views overs 1000,s and 1000,s of olive trees and to the distant hills of the Sierra Nevada with snow on the tops, a few interesting looking villages with fortified hill tops and churches, I think we must do this again and park up and cycle into some of these places as I don't think we would want to take the motorhome too far, I get the feeling you could just park up ant any of the service areas overnight and they would be happy for you to have a few beers in the bar.

Well that was a really good day so far and then it all went wrong thanks to Co-pilot no not Mrs Funflair the bloody sat-nav but that's another post, I think I will call in B----y Co-Pilot.

Anyway we are on camping Reina Isabel at La Zubia on the bus route for Granada and have bought our tickets for the Alhambra from the camp site, they charge commission but we were past caring.

Martin

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
This is our second day now at Granada, visited Alhambra yesterday enjoyable and interesting but not blown away by the royal palace as we expected to be, possibly because we had already done the Alkazar in Seville which is similar if not better, the rest of Alhambra was good and some great views of the town from up above.
image.jpg

Today we visited the main Cathedral which was good.
image.jpg

And a bit gruesome in places,
image.jpg

Nice walk up to the mirador st Nicholas and good views across to the Alhambra but only photos on camera not phone, sorry.

Martin

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
A few days since I updated this, been to camperstop Sierra Espuna for 3 nights and now on Cap Blanche in Albir, raining today YES raining so bus into Benidorm and a look around, hopefully tomorrow is good for a bike ride.

After this we are on the journey North towards home.

Need to watch the weather for Somport Tunnel.

Martin

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Well we are heading North now and by this time tomorrow we should be in France and will then have to decide whether or not to carry on with the silliness and do the whole trip toll free, the Spanish part has been easy peesy and the roads have been for the most part very good, I am really not that averse to paying but in a way I think we should finish what we started and do the whole way which will be about 4,000 miles.

Anyway today we came over from Navaja just inland from Valencia straight across to Zaragoza, a nice 150 mile drive, and the afternoon in Zaragoza has been pleasant as well.

Nice place to stop just outside Zaragoza at Parque de Atracciones, no 34 bus into the centre every 7 minutes or so, the aire is on camperstop or more details here http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/zaragoza.126791/

Martin

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Quiet night last night, only people on the parking, started this morning with about 4 degrees and raining, heading for the Somport Tunnel and it started to snow, the Somport Tunnel is at about 1100 metres but you have to go over 1223 metres before you get there, we all got pulled over by the Guardia Civil and he asked "snow chains"? NO, OK pull off and wait or go back so we pulled into a services with lots of other wagons and over 3.5T vans.

Settled down thinking we might be there all night had a cup of coffee and started to read my book and the Guardia came in and after a bit of horn tooting we were all off up the hill, roads were clear of snow but wet so all was good right through to the Somport Tunnel and out the other side into France where the snow was deeper at the sides of the road but the sun was shining and the roads dry.

Difficult to take photo's especially while being hassled by HGV's behind. All in quite an exciting and scenic day and now parked on the aire at Oloron Ste Marie.
image.jpeg

Wagon leaving after the all clear, must go and follow them.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

You have to realise that I am still in my shorts and flip-flops from the Spanish sun just over 24 hours ago so this isn't going down very well.

Martin

Last edited:

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
We did the same route as you from Denia a week ago. Stopped at the same aire in Zaragoza on Sunday and through the Somport tunnel on Monday. Same heavy snow at the roadside in France but no snow on the roads either side. We've done the complete return trip from Brittany through France and Spain without using any tolls.

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
We did the same route as you from Denia a week ago. Stopped at the same aire in Zaragoza on Sunday and through the Somport tunnel on Monday. Same heavy snow at the roadside in France but no snow on the roads either side. We've done the complete return trip from Brittany through France and Spain without using any tolls.

Now you've done it, not paid any tolls yet and now not going to, just so you don't beat me

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Trying to put a couple of pictures on but all the SFR FON wifi has not FON log in screen and my three 3G won't do anything other than text.

To add even more insult we decided as we are on free aire we would go have a coffee and cake in town, only a little cake €12.60 and only two of us, then walking back a guy opens his door kicks the dog out who promptly s--ts on the pavement and goes back inside, "good boy" door shut.

Welcome to France!

Martin

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Oloron Sainte Marie is a nice enough free aire with Bourne facilities and short walk to town, tight entrance through stone wall if you are bigger than our 8.5 metres.
image.jpg

image.jpg

Nice river, actually two rivers running through the town with a couple of small hydro electric stations, it might not look it but the river is a nice blue from the snow melt water.

Martin

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Yes, you need a good wide swing to get through the walls at Oleron St Marie.

Bet you ve got your long trousers on now Martin!

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Yes, you need a good wide swing to get through the walls at Oleron St Marie.

Bet you ve got your long trousers on now Martin!
Bet I haven't, it's 10 degrees outside now, shorts and sandals/wellies until November(y)

Martin

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
Despite a heavy shower in Pau just after we crossed into France we had good weather all the way back. Sunshine each day and quite warm. The same in Brittany. I hope it continues back in the UK after tomorrow.

JockandRita

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2007
Lincs/Cambs border
Funster No
MH
N+B Flair 8000i
Exp
Since May 05 (Ex Tuggers).
Bet I haven't, it's 10 degrees outside now, shorts and sandals/wellies until November(y)

Martin
Yeah right Martin. ;)

It's 10 degrees in many places here in the UK...............fortunately, but not many are seen in shorts and sandals back here. :eek:

Safe travels back Martin & Jen. (y)

Jock & Rita. :)

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi

Still on our way back home, last night was Nersac which we have been to before a lovely stop off but a very quiet little village.

Today we headed for Chateadun thinking we would stop there, called into Auchan in Poitiers on the way and wasted over 3 hours admittedly not all shopping. I though while I push the trolley I will "multi-task" ( we can) logged onto FUN using the shop WiFi and had a quick check on you lot and then decided to see if there was an update for Co-Pilot as its still being stupid from time to time, anyway long story cut short I deleted all the maps and had to stay in the shop long enough to download 500mb worth to get France back, and guess what "it's still stupid".

So while wasting time in the shop is was checking out the stockings and tight as we men do (well I do) I kept pointing to things but didn't get the right reaction so we moved on to croc's which they only had in ladies sizes for some reason.

I left Mrs FF in a cafe and I took the trolley out to the MH, chucked everything inside and left the trolley at the door where I could keep an eye on it, had a quick look with WiFi booster to try to get WiFi in the van so we could have lunch (roule au fromomge) couldn't find any so outside B----r me somebody had pinched the trolley:oops:so that another €1 gone.

Anyway, all that time wasted so we didn't go to Chateaudun, we crossed the river in Tours and headed for the aire at Vouvray, easy to find and looks good right in town and by the river, supposed to take 6 or 8 vans but they will have to be small to fit in the spaces.

As it Vouvray we have opened a bottle of Pol Remy, just to annoy them:LOL:

Martin

OP
OP
funflair

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Moved again today, Vouvray would have been good for a couple of days but the ferry won't wait for us so on the list for another visit.

Passed Chartres on he way North and needed a stop for coffee and a pee, saw the big new E.Leclerc and thought that would be worth a look, did you take Bev in there for a day out @DavidG58, we could have spent all day and they had a wash point as well and the van needs doing after coming over the Somport in the rain and Snow.

Anyway we are now at St Valery sur Somme, which looks like another nice place to come back to, tomorrow I am planning a sneaky trip to Lille and have a look in Opel Evasion as they have a couple of Concordes in and it will be a lot closer than Southdowns, and cheaper!

image.jpg

E.Leclerc fish counter "selfie" I'm the one with the iPhone not the pincers.

Martin

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back