To LPG or not to LPG... (1 Viewer)

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
Like 6 years ago I think I’ll just carry on regardless until the majority of people on here report being unable to refill in the EU. Particularly in France things are always a bit more unclear. One moment you need breathalysers on board then you don’t, then you need Angles Mort stickers then no one uses them, then you have a 3.5T van and run it at over 4Ts, then everyone shouts ‘Camping Car’ at the toll booths, then you have a LEZ in Rouen and everyone ignores it…

Apr 14, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey
We've only filled our Gaslow bottles a few times since installing them, and have the fill point inside the locker. These fills have been at a Morrison's garage and a local Gulf garage and no issues with either. The attendant at the Morrison's one did say that she was informed that Morrison's would be stopping selling LPG at some point soon, but haven't yet.

Agree with the above comments with regards to convenience and not having to wait until bottles are empty. I think for us, with such little gas use, the cost savings aren't really a big impact thing.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
In the OPS situation if there's a system already fitted I certainly wouldn't alter the fill point unless it actually was a problem rather than some stories of it being
Not 'stories' as that implies they may be fictional, they are true first hand accounts, we've had it as have some others, so although rare it does happen, some have been lucky and never experienced any issues even with an in-locker filler.

Same here, 10 years and never any problem with the filler in the locker
... and we have a winner! :LOL:

Jul 6, 2009
Funster No
We have 2 underslung tanks to keep the required round clearance, but also have fitted a valve in the original gas locker so if we cant find on rare occasions a lpg pump we just use a bottle.

Dec 19, 2022
Cornwall, UK
Funster No
MH
Lunar Fivestar
Exp
Motorhoming since 2011 - now returning after a long break!
I can’t comment on fridge use as we have a compressor unit, and contrary to the duff info often put about, it’s very efficient and uses minimal power. That aside, I can’t imagine that somewhere during your travels you wouldn’t pass an autogas filling location - they’re not hard to find.
Can I go off piste and ask if you run the compressor fridge from solar power? If so, does the Solar keep up with the fridge demand?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I agree, not hard to find a gas filling station - it is whether they are prepared to sell/pump the gas for "domestic" use and not "propulsion of the vehicle".
You have a compressor fridge?
I think you should follow your gut feeling...come into mainland Europe with your Calor Gas cylinders...when you run low, buy a French cylinder...then as you pass into Spain and have used your French cylinder and your Calor gas too, pop into Repsol or Cepsa and buy a Spanish cylinder....so now you have four cylinders....non are interchangeable with neighbouring countries, however these cylinders are bulky and take up loads of space...
Many years ago BP introduced a standard cylinder...but it never caught on...only some countries signed up for it....
However...if you only travel in the UK with an occasional visit to France your Calor might suffice... I've most likely clocked up half a million KMs motorhoming....I know how to maintain the services required to make our trips a success...
Lithium Batteries, Solar Panels and LPG are for us essential....but for you perhaps not.

Mar 7, 2022
Funster No
MH
Hobby Optima T70 HQ
I have gaslow system with the filler connector in the locker. Never had a problem filling it. One thing I couldn't see mentioned above is that you don't have to wait until it's empty to refill it which makes things much more convenient.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
I have gaslow system with the filler connector in the locker. Never had a problem filling it. One thing I couldn't see mentioned above is that you don't have to wait until it's empty to refill it which makes things much more convenient.
That's 4 of us so far with a refill point in the locker never been questioned no one who has one and says there's a problem!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That's 4 of us so far with a refill point in the locker never been questioned no one who has one and says there's a problem!
We did ... it's why I now always put in an external filler.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
True, no handing back half-full Calor cylinders so paying a higher price for the gas you've actually used.

Oct 18, 2021
Mid Devon
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SC
Exp
Camping since 1954, MoHo 2022
Can I go off piste and ask if you run the compressor fridge from solar power? If so, does the Solar keep up with the fridge demand?

Apologies for the late reply but we’ve been overnight on the Pont Aven to Plymouth. Yes, we do have solar and I’ve added to the original panel, so now have 340w feeding 2x 100Ah NDS ‘Green Power’ AGM batteries that came with the moho.
Never had a problem with the solar not only keeping up with the fridge, but replenishing the batteries to 100% within a very short time of the sun hitting the panels. I had a look at the digital control panel this morning after the moho was in the shade of the car deck for 20 hours with the fridge running, and it was registering 91% battery power - so not much being taken out at all.

It’s a Thetford T2090 as fitted as standard to the Aria Compact and the data plate shows an input current of 5A and 3.5A when the quiet ‘Night Mode’ is selected. Capacity is 84lt which is fine for the two of us, and it’s performed very well even in the heat of Greece and Crete last year.

OP
OP
R
Apr 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Yes. We have a GasIT system. Possibly the best thing we every paid for after solar panels. Saves you a small fortune.

You need to see what system is fitted and where the fill point is. You don't want to be opening the gas cupboard to fill as many garages will stop you. See if you can get pictures and post here.

If buying a van privately and they cannot tell you who installed it, best to get it checked over to ensure the installation is safe and hoses etc are in date. If in doubt, post pictures here.
This is the only photo I have. I only see one hose leaving the compartment and no filling point in the compartment.
From other photos, I can see that the side of the van has an extra service access flap right next to the standard BBQ take-off point. Perhaps that's a filling point...

1396450_-_photo_13_1709809094_big.jpg

OP
OP
R
Apr 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat
Definitely worth having if you'll benefit from having it and it doesn't hike the MH purchase cost! As well as the advice given above you also need to check the expiry date of the cylinders and hoses - the date on them is their expiry date and the cylinders only have 10 years 'safety' lifespan before they need recertifying (unfortunately I don't know who does this now) or replacing which can be expensive.
Thanks Minxy, very handy to know!!

OP
OP
R
Apr 3, 2024
Funster No
MH
Fiat
It's not a conversion in the sense that equipment for cooking/ fridge/ heating has been changed its just the gas supply. As said instead of having exchange bottles to lug around they have been replaced with a refillable bottle system .
It's more convenient , cheaper and relatively straightforward to fill.It can be easily changed back to exchange bottles if you prefer that but its a backwards step.A refillable system will probably set you back at least £500. You just need to make sure that the bottles and hoses have a reasonable life left in them. All hoses and bottles should have a date stamp/ sticker on them.
Thanks Jimbo. Do you mean to say that the system provides exactly the same fuel to the appliances? I've read that the regular gas bottles hold propane? Is LPG not a different substance? I just assumed it was!

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Thanks Jimbo. Do you mean to say that the system provides exactly the same fuel to the appliances? I've read that the regular gas bottles hold propane? Is LPG not a different substance? I just assumed it was!
LPG is usually a mix of propane and butane, the % varies due to season and country. In Spain it's usually a higher percentage of butane because of the warmer weather

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
LPG is the Abbreviation of Liquidfied Petroleum Gas...So both butane and propane are such gases.
What is different is Autogas...which is generally a mix of both gases.....the percentage of these gases depends on where they used and what time of the year...

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
I suppose the simple answer is. Autogas can be used for all purposes. The mixture may vary a little according to climate. The built in system is much cheaper gas, works all over Europe but costs a lot to have fitted. Anyone intending to tour Europe is disadvantaged without built in gas bottles or tanks.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
This is the only photo I have. I only see one hose leaving the compartment and no filling point in the compartment.
From other photos, I can see that the side of the van has an extra service access flap right next to the standard BBQ take-off point. Perhaps that's a filling point...

View attachment 883312
Looking at your photo it seems to have been a 'professional' installation especially since the pipe that goes through the floor to the filler (I assume) has had a separate 'hole' made in the floor rather than use one of the existing drop vents, the bottles also whilst not being the latest ones don't appear to be that old either, certainly younger than my similar one which has another 3-4 years left before it needs replacing at 10 years (for safety).

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back