To integrate or not integrate (1 Viewer)

Hugo Hymer

Free Member
Oct 2, 2017
Funster No
hi funsters, just wondering what the preferred system is for integrated nav, dab streaming reverse camera etc is. Our new motorhome doesn't have anything at moment and am not sure if I should go for separates or just get 1 unit that does the lot. I've seen the review of the blaupunkt unit but am not completely sold on this as I'm not sure the quality is what it used to be and it looks a bit shiny with a small fiddly volume control. Also waeco cameras have been given look warm reviews from parking cameras.com. I have been told they use old technology and do not warrant the prices asked. Pioneer and alpine appear to do motorhome specific units. Any advice would be welcome. Something with a large screen would be preferred 7-8 inch. Alternatively I can buy several separate units, and achieve the Sputnik look on the dash.

Cheers

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I wouldn't personally, there's a nightmare thread on here somewhere about a faulty unit that has meant the loss of everything while it's resolved.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
The problem with integration is unless the display and user interface can multi task all you really have is a single display that can only do one thing at once. Forces ample I need my rear view camera ,(especially to catch lunatic bikers who think it is smart to hide from my wing mirrors a couple of bike lengths from my rear) and sat have on at the same time.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
dont discount the modern chinese made android based units. just as good as the pioneer and easier to use and update

OP
OP
Hugo Hymer

Hugo Hymer

Free Member
Oct 2, 2017
Funster No
Thanks, what are the Chinese made android units. I usually go for a recognisable brand for peace of mind etc.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thanks, what are the Chinese made android units. I usually go for a recognisable brand for peace of mind etc.
there are loads of different options out there and a few members on here have installed them. loads on ebay with excellent feedback. the units themselves are similar to tablet computers and have a touchscreen and use the same android operating system as mobile phones. this allows you to personalise the unit with all manner of APPs and stream music and video from your phone too

OP
OP
Hugo Hymer

Hugo Hymer

Free Member
Oct 2, 2017
Funster No
Oh do you mean use a tablet , if you do I was thinking of this but can't see how you integrate this with rear wired camera. I have pre wire in place for camera so would like to use it to get best poss picture without time lag of wireless versions.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Oh do you mean use a tablet , if you do I was thinking of this but can't see how you integrate this with rear wired camera. I have pre wire in place for camera so would like to use it to get best poss picture without time lag of wireless versions.
no, the user interface and software is the same, but in a format that fits into the dashboard in place of the radio etc and has connectors on the back for connecting cameras

moggyg

Free Member
Sep 22, 2017
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Ace Firenze 2007
Exp
newbie - again
Google "double din android with rear camera" Friend has Chinese version installed and very happy.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I have a Clarion unit with satnav and have wired in 4 cameras using relay switching, reverse camera, rear view, service camera and front camera. This is how I wired the first three cameras, the twin camera on the rear was from Parking cameras UK 3rd van I've used their cameras on good quality helful guy. Service and front cameras are just cheap eBay jobs, surprisingly good picture quality.

A word of waring about Pioneer units they are very current hungry, spec says max current 10 amp my mate has one and he has had a flat battery a few times by leaving it on overnight. My Clarion spec says 4 amp I've never had it take more tham 2 amps.

The Nomad

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
Wandering in Europe
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
Many years
Separates. Every time for us. Flexibility. Ability to use tablet or smartphone satnav outside of mh. If one thing goes down all other functions still work. Not dependent on units own updates and ongoing costs. Can remove smartphone from mh to load more music/podcasts. Removable so can't be nicked from mh once you've taken it out.

138go

Free Member
Feb 26, 2016
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2001
The Blaupunkt 945 is a great unit. I have the Capetown version that you can get for around £600. Depending on skill level you can add the appropriate files and get the licence code to turn it into a truck version if you want to. Any camera will fit so I just bought one of the little square ones.

Couple of things you can do with the unit that are rather novel. The Laika came with a rear view camera and 7" screen mounted on the dash. The Blaupunkt has a streaming output so it can send the screen information to a second display. So while driving I have a display on the right of the steering column and the one in the middle. I have a button which when pressed switches the feed from a front mounted camera to the Blaupunkt so I have front and back cameras when getting into tight spaces.

Being an Android System you can also add some of the Android Apps so I have a very nice one that overlays both screens with the speed in either Kph or Mph. Very useful when in foreign parts and calculates speed from GPS so accurate.

As to fitting. You will need a Dremel to remove parts of the dash to fit the Double Din cage and a curved dash kit to go round the radio. All these are available on EBay. Took me a bit of time to fit it but really pleased with the results.

A lot of the Chinese Systems use Windows CE as the operating system. The popular Nozatech System does. If you look at their update site the IGO software is an EXE File rather than an APK ( Android ) installation file. If you want extras on the head unit then it needs to be true Android rather than looks like.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hugo Hymer

Hugo Hymer

Free Member
Oct 2, 2017
Funster No
Thanks for all the information, I will look into the suggestions and recommendations made. As is usual there doesn't seem to be a best system just several options all with pros and cons.

Any advice on twin lense reversing cameras?

BillandHelen

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 17, 2013
Edinburgh United Kingdom
Funster No
MH
Wildax Elara
Exp
since 2004
7877CEAA-16E5-4681-BA53-698E1D3CB56F.jpeg

Hi, here’s our integrated look! Double din Sat nav built in etc, with 360 degree camera screen built in above. Each to their own but we love integrated and neat execution.

Bill

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Thanks for all the information, I will look into the suggestions and recommendations made. As is usual there doesn't seem to be a best system just several options all with pros and cons.

Any advice on twin lense reversing cameras?

Trouble is there is no 'best' system rather some systems are better for some people and so on. In the end you need to work out what you need and build a system that meets that, and be ready not to get it right first time.

OP
OP
Hugo Hymer

Hugo Hymer

Free Member
Oct 2, 2017
Funster No
Hi bill,
Double screen option looking favourite, as previous contributor said being able to use rear view cameras without interrupting sat nav is probably a good idea. Your set up looks nice and tidy.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We have a dealer fitted Kenwood unit that does radio, DAB, Garmin sat nav, twin rear cameras, CD, DVD and Bluetooth. It can multitask. For example I can have a split screen showing sat nav and rear driving camera while the listening to the radio or CD or BT music if I want to.

RowleyBirkinQC

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 20, 2014
Dazed & Confused
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2007
Our van came with a basic stereo and separate reversing camera screen which didn’t have the best picture. We have since installed a Pioneer AVIC F88DAB integrated system (multiple audio and video inputs, Satnav, reverse camera input etc) which works well for us. It supports a switchable twin lens camera feed and I think you can set the display to automatically rotate/cycle between navigation and rear view camera in addition to manual screen selection.

I do quite like that an integrated unit tidies up the dash.

Not so keen on the banner message at top of screen in reversing camera mode about “image may be reversed” or similar. Not sure if there is an unofficial crack available to disable it...

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
In the process of replacing the woeful thousand pound media centre that was installed in our Auto-trail when we got it. Just waiting on an TV aerial adapter connection arriving from the supplier.
Given there's a drop down monitor between the cab seats was looking for a unit that included DVB-T along with all the other functionality excluding sat nav as we have a standalone Garmin 760. The only option I could find was an Xtrons TD696ADS.
So far, reversing camera (using the factory fitted camera), bluetooth, radio (but time will tell given potential issues with aerial in mirror), USB inputs, etc working well.
Whilst no sat nav installed by default options are available from Google Store as it's an Android unit. Only Lollipop though and as such think it's in run out.
All for £200ish including the head unit, GPS aerial, aerial adaptors, new fascia surround, etc.
OBD reading, dashcam recording and DAB radio compatible with optional hardware.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
Separates for us as well. The rearview camera monitor is fixed to the rearview mirror (no window in the back of the motorhome so rear view mirror not very useful !) and we use a tablet with the IGO app as a satnav. When cycling we can take the tablet with us for navigation and to track how far we have gone.

I am also concerned that if a combined unit goes you have nothing and it is expensive to replace.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Blaupunkt has DVB-T

As for software have a look at .. https://www.gpspower.net .. I have IGO Primo working on a Samsung Tab 3 as well as CoPilot and CoPilot working on my Blaupunkt (y)

Which Blaupunkt model as this was one of the manufacturers I looked at?:unsure:
Not really fussed at this time about integrated sat nav but will have a look see at your link. Ta(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back