To buy or not to buy (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
May 23, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
This is all new to us but very exciting. My wife and I have just decided on and agreed to buy a Mercedes auto trail Mohican , 2002 plate. Auto, 68k on clock. Just trying to get some extra advice regarding any experiences with this vehicle … thank you in advance.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Welcome to the House of Fun .. lorgers suggestion re the guide to buying a used motorhome might save you a bob or two, but more importantly might save you a few headaches and allow you to enjoy your new hobby/lifestyle .... :giggle:

i dont know if you get access to the classifieds if you havent actually signed up but theres usually a few on there for sale ( just for clarity i am NOT selling mine !!!) spent far too much time and money on making it 'ours'

Upvote 1
Apr 1, 2024
Funster No
MH
Hobby T500 LHD
I suspect it is this one?:

You will need a C1 licence to drive this. Also do get some insurance quotes before you sign up and commit yourself. Not all insurance companies will want to insure a 22 year old van.

I would suggest you look at few other vans for comparison ebven if you only do that online.

I am fairly new to this myself. This site is excellent for gleaning information. Best of luck with your ambitions!

Chris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
May 23, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Thankyou everyone for taking time out to reply-I’m very appreciative ,
It’s sprintshift!!!!!!-🙈🙈🙈
I’m

Upvote 0
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
A concern I would have would be regarding the emissions. With each passing year, more and more restrictions with LEZs becoming more widespread both in the UK and on the continent . The van will become more difficult to sell if you want to change it. ;)

Upvote 0
Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
A concern I would have would be regarding the emissions. With each passing year, more and more restrictions with LEZs becoming more widespread both in the UK and on the continent . The van will become more difficult to sell if you want to change it. ;)
Whilst you are correct, that’s only a consideration IF you can afford or can justify the expense of a 2016 or newer van. Others, like me, may have to accept some restrictions on ability to drive into urban centres and plan accordingly

Upvote 1
OP
OP
S
May 23, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Bit worrying re emissions-and associated restrictions that may happen.
Haven’t actually purchased the 2002 merc Mohican as yet, only put down a deposit pending a habitation report.
I’m not sure where to go with this now/ the emissions and inability to resell and the nightmare sprintshift gearbox everyone is complaining about.
Its not even 6am, I should be sleeping but guess wot!
🥵🥵

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
May 23, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Told my 3 and 5 year old Daddies bought em a MH-I don’t think the reasons I’ve discussed will be appreciated-particularly by my three year old who’s worryingly exhibiting DEXTER like qualities towards my 5 year old which I suspect will be levelled at myself.

Upvote 0
Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
I have no idea where you live in the UK. However it’s worth noting as the Mohican is over 3.5T, PHGV, it will cost you £300 per day to take in to the LEZ which covers all the area inside the M25. We have a 2004 4T MH which we love but only use in Europe.

Upvote 0
Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
DEXTER? A small breed of cattle???
Season_7_Photo_Promo.jpg

However, Dexter didn't have a motorhome. Walter (Breaking Bad) did.

Upvote 0
Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
Don’t panic there’s loads of motorhomes for sale you are in a good position.
I wouldn’t have a sprintshift personally either.

Plenty more around don’t rush.

Upvote 0

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 143 LE
Exp
Since 2016
I have no idea where you live in the UK. However it’s worth noting as the Mohican is over 3.5T, PHGV, it will cost you £300 per day to take in to the LEZ which covers all the area inside the M25. We have a 2004 4T MH which we love but only use in Europe.
Unless you live there why would you drive a MH there?

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
To summarise, Thursday you post the question yet by the early hours of today, you have bought it, or at least, that's what you have the children? 🤔

I really hope for those children's sake, it turns out well.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Told my 3 and 5 year old Daddies bought em a MH-I don’t think the reasons I’ve discussed will be appreciated-particularly by my three year old who’s worryingly exhibiting DEXTER like qualities towards my 5 year old which I suspect will be levelled at myself.
Rhe kids would be even more upset if you cant use it in the way you envisage ..... there are lots out there for sale, which are do you live and whats your budget? someone might be able to point you in the right direction. who is undertaking the hab test, hopefully someone you have engaged to do it and not someone the seller has suggested .....

you might be better off losing your deposit than buying something you find is not practical ....

Upvote 0
Oct 4, 2010
NORFOLK
Funster No
MH
DETHLEFFS C CLASS
Exp
This is all new to us but very exciting. My wife and I have just decided on and agreed to buy a Mercedes auto trail Mohican , 2002 plate. Auto, 68k on clock. Just trying to get some extra advice regarding any experiences with this vehicle … thank you in advance.
Hi sajid
Just a thought. I am selling my Dethleffs Esprit RT 7014 2006 which may or may not be of interest to you. Very high quality, full service and habitation history. I have owned it since 2008. Look at my ad on MFN if you are interested?
GAUDIE

Upvote 1
OP
OP
S
May 23, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Awesome feedback from everyone/a lot I didn’t want to hear(ignorance is bliss),but appreciate all the same.
Yes I have put down a 1k deposit
Yes it may be better to lose that deposit.
Yes it is the MH Chris rightly identified on eBay.
My concerns about my 3 years olds reaction to abandoning my pursuit of the above mentioned MH will by synonymous with that of Dexter from Netflix series and not that of a placid breed of bovine.

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
I assume the deposit was contingent on everything being ok. I've had a look at the advert and it does seem to be a genuine advert/seller so that's a positive! I'm sure it would resell for a similar price, so you might lose a bit from the purchase price.

Have you checked previous history etc?

If you don't go ahead, don't worry too much, most of us have lost money on our first couple of purchases, it's part of the learning experience.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
May 23, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Thankyou MR B, your spot on , fella selling is really nice, I’ve spoken to him in length.
I believe it’s a lot of vehicle for the money.

Upvote 0

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Do you have the C1 entitlement to drive it? Did the seller tell you it was over 3.5t ?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
S
May 23, 2024
Funster No
MH
dont own yet
Yes lorger, that’s helpful and gives me some positive news with regards to the gear box .
Unfortunately I may have opened up a can of very large worms-let me explain.
Besides the worrying comments with respect to the sprintshift,I thought I’d ask a young ish merc machinic that I know about the Mercedes part of the Mohican , lots of rust and suffers from the Black Death ,injector problems according to him.
I’m really less than a novice all things MH and quite and dare I say it/ not put off with most things but this is doing my swede(head)in!
🥵🥵

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back