Tips for cooking Christmas dinner in the motorhome (1 Viewer)

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
We will be cooking Christmas dinner in the motorhome.
The oven is rubbish but I know I can do the roast potatoes in our recently purchased remosca.
Any tips to make life easier.
(ps fair disclosure I’m a trained chef but not been in a professional kitchen in a long time but you never stop learning)
thanks funsters

Jan 26, 2017
Mid Suffolk.
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Inca
Exp
Eight Years and 28,000 Miles.
Why put up with a rubbish oven in a motorhome?
Get a better one, ours is very usable, even if it is smaller than a domestic one.

Ven

Aug 15, 2008
East Sussex and beyond
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Everything takes longer but will cook fine in my experience, so don’t set a fixed time. I rotate between shelves as if I’m using both the bottom cooks a lot slower (although useful for some things) and unless really slow cooking something always just whack it up to full temp.

If work space is an issue like in ours, planning and precooking some bits such as the trimmings in advance and warming them back up when the meat is resting is handy.

I’m probably teaching granny to suck eggs 😊

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
Par-boil your roast potatoes, doesn’t take so long to cook. I put mine in the remoska with the meat. Once cooked, keep meat and potatoes warm on a plate on top of a saucepan of veg whilst cooking Yorkshire’s in the oven, if not using the remoska. Use smaller cooking tins if only two of you, get tins side by side in the oven.

Nov 17, 2012
WEST SUSSEX
Funster No
MH
HYMER B SL 674
Exp
SINCE 2005
We will be cooking Christmas dinner in the motorhome.
The oven is rubbish but I know I can do the roast potatoes in our recently purchased remosca.
Any tips to make life easier.
(ps fair disclosure I’m a trained chef but not been in a professional kitchen in a long time but you never stop learning)
thanks funsters
BBQ

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Mr porky

Mr porky

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 14, 2018
Middlewich, UK
Funster No
MH
Morelo home
Exp
Lots now
Everything takes longer but will cook fine in my experience, so don’t set a fixed time. I rotate between shelves as if I’m using both the bottom cooks a lot slower (although useful for some things) and unless really slow cooking something always just whack it up to full temp.

If work space is an issue like in ours, planning and precooking some bits such as the trimmings in advance and warming them back up when the meat is resting is handy.

I’m probably teaching granny to suck eggs 😊
Yes the system of getting things cooked then reheating is a classic. Plus the turkey crown will hold for a good while. Although I did cook Yorkshire puddings in our last motorhome I have cheated and bought pre done ones As this oven doesn’t seem to get up to a high enough temperature.

Reactions: Ven

busbuddy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2018
leicestershire
Funster No
MH
swift suntor 630G
Exp
since 1994
I use a steamer to do all the veg, pre-cook and slice the turkey then it just needs warming, roast potatoes, parsnips and stuffing in the oven

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back