Timing belt replacement interval .. (1 Viewer)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Hi. My 2004 Boxer had a new timing belt and what looks from the receipt like a serious engine rebuild in January 2018, so I'm guessing the first one lasted 14 years ....

It is therefore now 5 years since the last change - having looked at the MOT history we seem to do around 3k a year in it, so lots of time parked up. Is it time to have it done, or a bit early?

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
There IS a clause on timing belts along the lines " Ex amount of miles or Ex amount of years. Whichever comes first." I would change it as said above . Cheaper than a new engine.
Tea Bag

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
Mate had his go at 4.5 years. Cost him 3k. 😢

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Trevor Wbm
Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Van booked into a local garage - ballpark figure for the belt and water pump is £500, which seems about right.

Oct 8, 2014
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Excel 600B
Exp
Previous VW Camper + Caravan
Also posted in thread "Cambelt change at 5 years"

One evening, years ago, the engine cut out on my Ford Sierra as I slowed down and changed gear to turn into my drive. I maintained momentum enough to park up in the usual place. I called the RAC and they came and diagnosed a broken cam belt. They agreed they would take the car to our local Ford agent, and leave it on their forecourt.

The next morning, I phoned the garage to explain why there was an abandoned car on their premises. Their reply - "That's fine, we have replaced the cam belt and it's ready for collection!"

I was amazed, but grateful, and got a lift over to pick it up. I can't remember what it cost, but it wasn't much.

I later passed the car to my son, and about 5 years later the belt failed as he was accelerating hard. A couple of valves were bent, so it cost him a bit more to get it fixed.

OP
OP
Trevor Wbm
Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
The plot thickens .... dropped the van off on Tuesday as arranged for the belt to be done, also mini service including brakes.

Got a call two hours later ... there's an oil leak inside the belt cover somewhere that has covered the belt in oil, garage hasn't got the kit to get the engine out and look for it, oh and by the way the brake drums are seized on and they can't shift them.

Very happy we decided to get the belt changed as I understand the oil will be doing it no good at all, but not looking forward to the eventual bill for all this to be sorted out. Booked in to our local Adams Morey on the 21st. Trip to Chew valley near Bristol on Friday cancelled, 'cause now we know the belt's covered in oil we can't risk anything other than a gentle drive to the garage.

Bugger.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back