May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
I don't think anyoe's going to believe me but I'll just put this out there:

One's diet can influence your attractiveness to bites of all insects from ticks, fleas and mozzies. If you go for a meat free Ketogenic diet there's very little attractive wafting off you for the insects to be attacted to.

like you said, Absolutely I would not believe you, not in a million years.

However, when you get bitten, and you will, diet, meat free, too much CO2, sugar, blah de blah, Dab the affected area with a good slosh of TCP antiseptic (neat) or similar WET not cream antiseptic.

It wont work instantly but will (hopefully) stop the incessant itching later. And if it stings and burns like the fires of Hades, you know its working

Last edited:

Wellington

Free Member
May 23, 2018
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compact 138
We are in Italy, and the mosquitoes here are maneaters! We don’t sit outside after dusk or we get eaten alive. I swear I’ve been outside for just a few minutes, when we first arrived (happened to be at peak mozzie time) saying hellos, and am covered in red welts the size of pound coins. And that’s with Fexafenadine, which I have for my out of control hay fever and fortunately carry with me, even though I don’t really need it atm.

I don’t usually get bite at all!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Yes, I'm sceptical about the diet thing -- like those who say taking vitamin B1 helps protect against bites.

I think the answer is a lot more complicated. Two of us on the same diet: one gets bitten to buggery (excuse the language), the other suffers no bites. Move to a different part of the UK and the previously bitten one escapes with no bites and the previously non-bitten one gets bitten.

I think at play here is DNA and blood group versus local insect population. Something similar to the old adage about eating local honey to protect against hay fever.
I also suspect that both often get bitten equally but one reacts to them a lot more

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I also suspect that both often get bitten equally but one reacts to them a lot more

Mozzies are probably fussy eaters. Perhaps I should eat more Marmite. Garlic as well, yumyum. :cool:

We are in Italy, and the mosquitoes here are maneaters! We don’t sit outside after dusk or we get eaten alive. I swear I’ve been outside for just a few minutes, when we first arrived (happened to be at peak mozzie time) saying hellos, and am covered in red welts the size of pound coins. And that’s with Fexafenadine, which I have for my out of control hay fever and fortunately carry with me, even though I don’t really need it atm.

On warm evenings, Citronella tealights on the ground outside the sliding door are effective at keeping Italian mozzies at bay. Only one or two biters came inside the van. They were dispatched in a satisfying sizzle and flash, with the handy Zap Bat.

The sliding insect screen for the side door has been used many times now. A worthwhile extra for PVCs, even if flimsy and requiring care when opening or closing.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

I too take Fexa for my ridiculous over-reactive histamine! I can still end up with welts the size of saucers but at least they don't tend to swell up as much and look like they've got mounds of jelly on top!

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that

Yes -- you have a point there: histamine production in overload for some. The allergic response must differ according to what exactly bit whom! So, do you react to what you are used to you or what you are not used to?

Off on a (vaguely related) tangent: what is causing all these extreme, life-threatening dietary allergies?

RitaG

Free Member
Jan 26, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Where ever I go I always get bitten and sometimes the reactions are really bad.
I use an After Bite pen when I get bitten, and bought mine from Amazon. I expect the effect is the same as a hot spoon but it does stop the bites from itching.

The last time I was in France the mozzies were really vicious and the only cream that worked was Onctose Cortisone. I have bought it here in the UK but can't remember where from.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I've bought some cream from the chemist to stop me scratching at the bites. It drives me mad otherwise. Partner doesn't apply it and scratches like mad which could be dangerous if they get infected
I'd also take anti-histamine tablets. Topical creams only do so much. A tablet at night and one in the morning. Chlorphenamine works best for me. Doesn't make me dozey.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
we use "Afterbite" and "Fenistil", Fenistil is available as a cream or gel, both are easily available on the internet, and in chemists, if they stock them, we get ours in Germany, readily available through Amazon
Click on photo and it will enlarge

JudgedRed

Free Member
Aug 27, 2019
North Wales
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Mohican
Exp
2 years
For many people Avons "Skin So Soft" works as a tremendous repellent. I use that and the usual high Deet content over the counter solutions.

Aug 10, 2018
Birmingham
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 680
Exp
Im a Newbie
I use Skin So Soft spray oil from AVON, It must be the original. For some reason it keeps them at bay .
I got the tip from our nephew who is a captain in the Army apparently they use it all the time. It works for me
Regards
Sue

Bluemanc100

Free Member
Aug 13, 2019
Hawarden near Chester
Funster No
MH
Elddis Majestic 155
Exp
MH Novice (but a seasoned veteran driver)
This summer Horse Flies have been worse for me.... ten times worse than mozzies IMHO

RitaG

Free Member
Jan 26, 2016
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Kon-Tiki 635
Exp
Got my first horsefly bite eight weeks ago which was really painful and left a large red patch on my arm. still got the bite mark there so don't want another one of them that's why I made up the fly killer mixture to spray the rotten b*****ds! Wish there was something that would deter them.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Got my first horsefly bite eight weeks ago which was really painful and left a large red patch on my arm. still got the bite mark there so don't want another one of them that's why I made up the fly killer mixture to spray the rotten b*****ds! Wish there was something that would deter them.
neat vinegar on your skin deters them, in common use by horse people round here

Jun 8, 2019
Bexley Kent
Funster No
MH
Given up Motorhoming
Exp
May 2019
What is the point of mosquitos anyway they invented to spoil holidays.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
What is the point of mosquitos anyway they invented to spoil holidays.
there had to be a first attempt at politicians, blood sucking parasites

Oct 27, 2017
Scotland/Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer (T class GT)
Exp
12months
Not personally, but when I lived in the Highlands a few years ago,several of the local estates had them.
One estate in particular (Strath Connon) used to catch all the dead midges from the machine in carrier bags ( one bag holds one hell of a lot of midges)! They were then apparently recycled and fed to the salmon.
Apparently midges are very territorial and if you get enough of the machines out before the first hatch of the season it can make a significant difference to the midge population in that area.

ShaKen

Free Member
Apr 26, 2019
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
C Class Low Profile
Exp
A few years
Love to know how they work

They attract midges by simulating a living animal.

They are gas powered and produce a warm stream of CO2 to simulate the breath of an animal - as they get close a vacuum sucks them into a gauze netting bag which captures them and they then dehydrate and die in a day or so.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back