LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Looks like a great adventure - we're planning a trip to Croaitia in September so will be following your journey with interest. Not many Aires in Croatia, and I'm not a great fan of camp sites, in particular being fenced in on all sides. Maybe the coastal ones directly border the sea?
Enjoy yourselves !
We are going to have to stop following each other around.:)
Loose plan at the moment is Visit Caravan Salon last week of August and then troll down to Croaitia returning end of October.

Slovenia is the same I understand, no "wild camping". Of course people do in out of the way places.
We went to Slovenia first year we had a Motorhome, we were heading for the Baltic coast weather was so bad we turned right and ended up in Slovenia. Saw plenty of places you could wild without a problem well off the beaten track but we were a bit green so stuck to sites and Aires.

Reactions: DBK
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
We are going to have to stop following each other around.:)
Loose plan at the moment is Visit Caravan Salon last week of August and then troll down to Croaitia returning end of October.
You can't go then - we're going at the end of August. Tunnel is booked !

If you see us en route, don't park near us in your 'smashed up' van - people might think we mix in the wrong circles.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
It is definitely prop problems , it broke down with them.
A problem with a propellor shaft according to BF on Twitter - and the Tuesday sailing is still only provisional apparently. So we are not safe yet!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 18, 2014
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B598 PL
Exp
Since 2013
A problem with a propellor shaft according to BF on Twitter - and the Tuesday sailing is still only provisional apparently. So we are not safe yet!
They are losing lots of money whilst it is laid up so hopefully they will get it sorted by then

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
They are losing lots of money whilst it is laid up so hopefully they will get it sorted by then
Fingers crossed - the marine traffic website is good, it shows it in Brest harbour at the moment - but it will need to leave there sometime tomorrow afternoon to be in Portsmouth for Tuesday. So I will be keeping a beady eye on it. :)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Ah well..... no point in telling you I AM IN TOULOUSE too! As obviously you have it all planned. You go and see you cousin ...blahblahblah.... :rolleyes: I can't fight , can I ?

Right , ok , in case you decide to either stay longer in Toulouse , or if your cousin doesn't want to see you:p, or any other option which could show up till then:giggle:, Make sure I'm at home and able to rescue you, by making the best offer ever (so she says....:sneaky:) for an overnight stop . BTW , I'm an awful cook as I really dislike food and eating time, I hate wine, and really have to cope with having funsters at home, as it's is one of my pet hates... you're warned!:whistle:

Oh ... and Happy Travels!!!

Amicalement

Frankie:LOL:(y);):cool:

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Ah well..... no point in telling you I AM IN TOULOUSE too! As obviously you have it all planned. You go and see you cousin ...blahblahblah.... :rolleyes: I can't fight , can I ?

Right , ok , in case you decide to either stay longer in Toulouse , or if your cousin doesn't want to see you:p, or any other option which could show up till then:giggle:, Make sure I'm at home and able to rescue you, by making the best offer ever (so she says....:sneaky:) for an overnight stop . BTW , I'm an awful cook as I really dislike food and eating time, I hate wine, and really have to cope with having funsters at home, as it's is one of my pet hates... you're warned!:whistle:

Oh ... and Happy Travels!!!

Amicalement

Frankie:LOL:(y);):cool:
Everything is possible, my cousin lives near Montesquiou which is south west of Auch and we will be with her early next week. Another of my cousins is flying out to visit her at the same time so it will be a little family gathering. :) Not sure how long we will stay but will be heading past Toulouse afterwards so we could drop by and make you a cup of English tea! :)

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Everything is possible, my cousin lives near Montesquiou which is south west of Auch and we will be with her early next week. Another of my cousins is flying out to visit her at the same time so it will be a little family gathering. :) Not sure how long we will stay but will be heading past Toulouse afterwards so we could drop by and make you a cup of English tea! :)

Oh .... a Cup of Tea! You really know how to talk to me:inlove: (y);)
Shall I buy some fresh milk for the occasion then? Tea is not Tea without proper milk surely!
Yeah I'm gonna have a cuppa , I'm gonna have a cuppa!:Grin: (You might think I'm kidding , but NO! I love English tea!)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Oh .... a Cup of Tea! You really know how to talk to me:inlove: (y);)
Shall I buy some fresh milk for the occasion then? Tea is not Tea without proper milk surely!
Yeah I'm gonna have a cuppa , I'm gonna have a cuppa!:Grin: (You might think I'm kidding , but NO! I love English tea!)
I will send you a PM once we have an idea when we are coming past Toulouse. Do you have parking for a 6.0m vehicle, or somewhere close to you we could use?

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
@DBK , a bit of an update if you haven'y heard.
"According to the French press the ferry had to be towed into Brest where 1100 passangers were disembarked at 12.30 and advised to make their own arrangements
The ferry was sailing from Ireland.
They are carrying out a survey on Monday to assess the damage which is to the port propellor shaft.
The ship may have to go into dry dock to have the work carried out."
I'd start thinking of an alternative to be on the safe side.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
@DBK , a bit of an update if you haven'y heard.
"According to the French press the ferry had to be towed into Brest where 1100 passangers were disembarked at 12.30 and advised to make their own arrangements
The ferry was sailing from Ireland.
They are carrying out a survey on Monday to assess the damage which is to the port propellor shaft.
The ship may have to go into dry dock to have the work carried out."
I'd start thinking of an alternative to be on the safe side.
That doesn't sound good but I was a bit alarmed to hear earlier the problem was with the propellor shaft - not something normally fixed with a squirt from an oil can.

Things should become clearer tomorrow, if it hasn't left Brest by the end of the day it isn't going to get to Portsmouth on time. We'll start looking for short crossings then!

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
[QUOTE="DBK, post: 1857313, member: 24219sailing-updates

sound good but I was a bit alarmed to hear earlier the problem was with the propellor shaft - not something normally fixed with a squirt from an oil can.

Things should become clearer tomorrow, if it hasn't left Brest by the end of the day it isn't going to get to Portsmouth on time. We'll start looking for short crossings then![/QUOTE]

I think you ought to see this.....

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/routes/sailing-updates

Looks like the 9 th May is off.

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
That's better news. Fingers X ed for you and the Pont Aven engineers.

The BF sailing info page is getting to be one of my regular reads as we use them regularly. . They've had a lot of problems this year with weather, strikes and mechanical problems and it must be a nightmare for their planners and customer relations people.

Good luck and bon voyage.

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Fingers crossed for all affected (and for myself, too). Last time I had to go via Plymouth instead of Portsmouth, Pont Aven had an engine out.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Just found out from Twitter the sailing from Portsmouth is cancelled. Now looking for a sailing to France. @pyro

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
You can't go then - we're going at the end of August. Tunnel is booked !

If you see us en route, don't park near us in your 'smashed up' van - people might think we mix in the wrong circles.
Ignore him Lenny, he is used to parking next to motorhomes with smashed up fronts. :D

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Ignore him Lenny, he is used to parking next to motorhomes with smashed up fronts. :D
No need Peter, I think @Lenny HB has had me on 'ignore' since he gave up wild camping and took to staying on camp sites for extended periods.

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
After some feverish Twittering we are now booked on the Plymouth/Roscoff sailing tonight. So the first part of the trip has changed from a gentle drive around a bit of the north coast of Spain to an umpteen hundred kilometre drive to south west France from Brittany. We need to be in the Toulouse area by Sunday so plenty of time. We will just have to find a few aires. Out with the atlas again!

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
So glad you are finally on your way! Have a great time!

May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
@DBK Glad you got something sorted out. Extra journey is a pain, and poor notice for you, but at least you'll get to your destination now.

No consolation for you, I'm afraid, but my intention was to sail on the Pont Aven as we knew the ship, and when I told the other half that it looked like trouble ahead, she admitted that she couldn't get a booking on one of their sailings and instead booked on the Cap Finistere. So it looks like we'll get there (if I can manage not to blow any more fuses in the meantime - a long saga of my familiarisation with the new van, but if "knowledge is priceless", then whoever said that has not had to pay an auto electrician to sort out their mistakes)

Have a safe trip

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
First attempt at a route, avoiding toll roads and the busy coastal roads looks like this. About 900 km, which works out at only 150 km a day but of course we might do more one day and less or even none at all all on the next. Where the 600 km mark is shown on the map is very close to @Parcverger so I guess we will have to do a swerve round there I think!

Map2.jpg

andrewjw

Free Member
Oct 23, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
La Strada Regent L
Exp
20 years plus
There is a nice site in St Emilion ( looks to be not far from your route) slightly NE of Bordeaux...

St Emilion is a picturesque small town in the heart of the wine producing area of the same name...we had a lovely day there a few years ago..as far as I can remember!:)

OP
OP
DBK

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
There is a nice site in St Emilion ( looks to be not far from your route) slightly NE of Bordeaux...

St Emilion is a picturesque small town in the heart of the wine producing area of the same name...we had a lovely day there a few years ago..as far as I can remember!:)
Thank you for that. About 25 years ago we stayed at a campsite near St Emilion when we had a caravan, possibly at the same place but my memory has faded somewhat - but I do remember we had a good time!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back