Thoughts on semi flexible panels. (1 Viewer)

grasscutter

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 11, 2009
East Wittering. West Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis i588
Exp
Started in 1980
With the amount of off grid we do we have decided it’s time to upgrade/fit a new system.
Not sure of our roof panel wattage but the controller is only 6 amp max and we only ever see 2.3 amps max.
The batteries are not holding charge like They were so fitting two new 85/100ah gels. Also need a new vehicle battery so will be starting afresh.
Looking on eBay I’m drawn to some of the 200/300w semi flexible panels as they are so much lighter.
What are the pro and cons compared to rigid frame panels ?
Plan to fit a new MPPT dual controller and uprate all cables.
As now given Up work and living off savings until our small pensions kick in always looking to try and find a bargain/ value for money set up.
If anyone has any recommendations I would be grateful .
Many thanks in advance.
Graham

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
There are lots of people that tell you that, ? they don't last long, they have had to change them because they have failed, they don't work very well because they get too hot, and you need air flow under them.?
I don't know how many of them have actually owned them, or is it a friend of a friend. ?
I do know the early Biard panels failed.?

We fitted them on our last panel van conversion they were still working as they should when we sold it after over 4 years use. ?

We fitted 2 more 100w on our latest panel van conversion will be 2 years in March. ?
20180811_095410.jpg

We only do HOT!
The panels weigh nothing ? we spend a lot of our time free parking and have 2 x 100w panels an mppt regulator and 2 x 80ah gel batteries, ? we charge 2 electric bike batteries run a spin dryer and so on of a 600w Stirling inverter, we no longer have a TV.?
So there you have it Graham, make your own mind up. ? Bob.

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Rigid panels last 25 years though so it depends on how long you're keeping the van. Also with a rigid panel you can put hinges on one side and lift it up to face the sun, and see that output rocket ??

IMAG1010.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Have a look at Tayna for the Sonnerschein gels which are virtually the same as Exide ones and just as good - they do 75ah ones (which are actually 78ah in reality but for some daft reason the model has the number 65 in it!),

As for semi-flexible ... we had a 60w one with a Schaudt LR1218 PWM controller on a previous camper and it worked fine, then we got a camper with an 'electric only' fridge so put 2 x identical 100w panels on with an MPPT Votronic controller but we were always concerned about the fridge and it hammered the 2 x gel batteries we had. Before we PX'd the camper recently I checked the input from the solar panels and one was about a third of the other, when I looked at them the protective coating was peeling off on both so whether this is the issue with one or not I don't know but it didn't inspire confidence.

The trouble with semi-flexible ones is you don't really know what you're buying as there isn't a lot of info on who has made them unless you go for a named brand but that costs quite a bit more than a normal rigid panel but there's still no guarantee they aren't made in the same factory as the cheapo ones.

Personally unless weight is an issue I'd stick with rigid panels especially on a totally flat MH roof as there's no space underneath to allow airflow which at least there was on my PVC with the 'corrugated' roof.

Jan 18, 2019
Cuesta Blanca, Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exis
Exp
Since 2010
Personal experience: I had 2x100 flexible panels (Briard, I think) fail after 25 months - they delaminated.
I'm going to fit two (Miasole) to the current van - mainly due to the long, narrow shape and my already cluttered roof. The Miasole have a 5/25 year warranty and an be fixed with double-sided tape. Allegedly.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
A 100W panel weighs around 10Kg from memory, perhaps a little more but you would need to be tight on payload to be concerned by such a small increase.

Flexible panels have their uses, on a pop-top or the curved roof of a boat but otherwise any advantages they might have tend to be heavily outweighed by the cost. I would go for conventional panels, second hand if you can find them on eBay. There were some good used 150W panels for sale recently and someone posted a link to them on here.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
400w Semiflexible, they work brilliantly,10 year guarantee, The Victonic panels and MPPT Controller are highly recommended and perform better or as good as any other brand.

Attachments

• 4D1BFF7F-A81F-4044-820D-953ABFF56B2A.jpeg
    4D1BFF7F-A81F-4044-820D-953ABFF56B2A.jpeg
    23.9 KB · Views: 20

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I've just checked what I wrote above and was surprised to see the price of flexible panels on eBay has really come down. Some are cheaper than rigid panels now. Interesting but it makes me cautious and I wonder how long they will last?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back