Thinking of touring Northern Greece? (1 Viewer)

Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Most people head south when they visit Greece with a motorhome but there is also loads of great places in the north.

Three enterprising German motorhomers have negotiated with the Mayors of 8 Municipalities of the Northern Greece region of Epirus and developed a network of 24 stopovers.

There are a few that charge a fee but most are free or in the case of the Tavernas listed it would probably be expected/courteous that you eat at their establishments.

Each entry includes the coords for your satnav.

http://thomas-fettback.de/mediapool/...ide_englsh.pdf

Most have been listed on my Google Map along with many other off grid spots....

Pete

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Most people head south when they visit Greece with a motorhome but there is also loads of great places in the north.

Three enterprising German motorhomers have negotiated with the Mayors of 8 Municipalities of the Northern Greece region of Epirus and developed a network of 24 stopovers.

There are a few that charge a fee but most are free or in the case of the Tavernas listed it would probably be expected/courteous that you eat at their establishments.

Each entry includes the coords for your satnav.

http://thomas-fettback.de/mediapool/...ide_englsh.pdf

View attachment 311512

Most have been listed on my Google Map along with many other off grid spots....

Pete
Have found your wild camp map very useful on our current trip to Greece

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
Hi pjay . As you know, we find your wild camp map invaluable and we will have the odd update to post to you when I can decipher my notes! In the meantime, our eight weeks actually in Greece comes to and end in Igoumenitsa on Saturday. We have been wandering Epirus region up into the mountains for a good few days. We had always intended to try out a few of these spots but, unfortunately, it seems the initiative may not have really taken off.
No.1 the amphitheatre at Dodoni.,...the meadow is overgrown with knee high grass, narrow gateway and no signage. We parked overnight in the amphitheatre carpark with no problem. Btw, the very nearby Camperstop on Campercontact appears to have closed down.
No.13 at the lake(Aoos Springs Lake) is ok. Very remote, beautiful drive but looks like the standing could get muddy after heavy rain.
No.22 The monastery at Zitsa. They warn that access is difficult. Yes it is, if you can find it in the first place, even. Satnav may direct you up a totally unsuitable track approaching from below the village. Don't even think about it! No signage in the village and Exploring on foot revealed a very steep concrete roadway up through village streets. Chickened out!
No.22 At the river. Access down an overgrown narrow track to an overgrown area amongst trees. Very limited turning space or level standing. Old picnic area returning to nature. Only inspected on foot.

Only a limited sample, I know, but not encouraging. I have the original 2016 pdf downloaded in English. I did look at Thomas Fettbacks website and their may be a link to an updated version but only in German. A bit disappointing but I would definitely encourage people to have a good look round northern Greece as well as the Peloponnese. Well worth it.
Thanks again pjay

OP
OP
pjay
Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Thanks for the updates Tony i'll add them when I get a chance, some of the coords on the pdf doc were a bit out but I tried to make them more accurate when transferring them to my map.
I visted a few around Ioninna and one in Dodoni (Tiria), theres a great one overlooking the lake at 5 Liggiades.
As regards them being overgrown its like a lot of things in Greece, someone has a great idea and then a few years later the interest lapses, The good thing is that there is usually somewhere else nearby. Best thing to do for me was to check them out on streetview or sat view first if possible.

I emailed Thomas to thank him and ask him a few other questions but he never replied, so as you say, doubt very much that there any updates, I can't find any.

Pete

jollyrodger

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2012
Devon/Cornwall
Funster No
MH
'Obby
Exp
Since 1968'ish
Happend across this ..
How relevent I don't know

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 29, 2010
Nuneaton. Only when I have to.
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis t564
Exp
Since Sept 2010
pjay ...just while I'm in reporting mode....parked up overnight at Sagiada Port, in the first section behind the police/ customs post. When we arrived early afternoon on the quayside in front of the office, deciding where to go, an officer came out and told us we could not stop where we were. Naturally, I told him we were just consulting the map. He told us we could park behind the building but only until 9am tomorrow. So we decided to move further up the coast. Ended up down.on Sagiada2, the cove. Another van and other encampment there but a no camping sign up on the main road before coming down. As usual, decided this was 'advisory'. However, everyone else decamped and at 8pm the less than friendly guy from earlier turned up and seemed to indicate that nowhere between Sagiada port and the Albanian border was acceptable for overnight. Redirected us back to behind his office. OK spot right by the water but suspect we'll have to leave in the morning! First problem we've had in eight weeks.

OP
OP
pjay
Feb 3, 2013
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
ENC Fifer Touring M
Exp
Since the 90's
Never tried overnighting at the port itself but if you park up to the north along the lagoon on the gravel next to the sea as per my coords you should have been ok. Sagiada 1 is a popular spot you would have passed it on the way to sagiada 2, there's no 'no camping' signs there.
Let us know how you get on and I'll update it tomorrow.

Pete

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back