Thinking of taking the leap (1 Viewer)

TimW

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
WildAx (on order)
Exp
Hi. So after a couple of years of pontificating, several NEC visits, many magazines, I am on the brink of jumping into the motorhome world. Both head and heart point towards a WildAx Constellation 3 XL. Love the front lounge. 3rd travel seat should work for my two cairn terriers. Have been tempted by just about everything I have looked at ... but this seems to be the one ....and the wife is on board too. If anyone has a WildAx love to here your thoughts on ownership !

Scotsblood

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 2, 2017
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis 194
Exp
Since 2017
Welcome! Iā€™m sure someone here will have an opinion, and hopefully helpful info on the WildAx. Mind you there might be an equal number trying to sway you toward another.šŸ˜

Feb 21, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2017
TimW try clicking on the British Motorhome section listed under the Forum heading above,youā€™ll find a few owners......there may be more!

And :welcome4:!

Aug 22, 2017
Funster No
MH
Wildax Europa PVC
Exp
Since 2014 -- cycle-camper before that
We've had a Wildax for six years (a Europa rather than a Constellation) and loved it. We have found the spec and build-quality to be very good indeed as well as the price/quality ratio. We also had good after-sales service from Wildax (bought direct as they did not sell through dealers back then).

Also worth checking out similar models from other manufacturers before making the final decision, like Globecar, IH, etc.

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Hello and welcome from West Midlands. šŸ‘

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Hi and :welcome4:

The most important choice to make is layout. You can read as many magazines as you like, look at websites and even browse through the posts on here, but until you actually go and sit in one, "live" in it, try the beds, loo, cooking facilities etc. etc. you won't really know if it's the one for you. Not trying to be a wet blanket, just guiding you away from making an (expensive) mistake - too many folk buy the first nice shiny van they see and 6 months later want to change because of something they didn't take into account. ('Tis said it takes 3 vans to get it right, but perfectly possible to do it first time, we did 11 years ago!)

Of course you may have already had a good look at the Wildax so all my rambling is complete nonsense. But do try and check out as many different layouts, vans as you can - with dealers etc. reopening next week there should be plenty of opportunities, and hopefully some real bargains to be had (but avoid Ebay like the plague!).

OP
OP
TimW

TimW

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
WildAx (on order)
Exp
Hi and :welcome4:

The most important choice to make is layout. You can read as many magazines as you like, look at websites and even browse through the posts on here, but until you actually go and sit in one, "live" in it, try the beds, loo, cooking facilities etc. etc. you won't really know if it's the one for you. Not trying to be a wet blanket, just guiding you away from making an (expensive) mistake - too many folk buy the first nice shiny van they see and 6 months later want to change because of something they didn't take into account. ('Tis said it takes 3 vans to get it right, but perfectly possible to do it first time, we did 11 years ago!)

Of course you may have already had a good look at the Wildax so all my rambling is complete nonsense. But do try and check out as many different layouts, vans as you can - with dealers etc. reopening next week there should be plenty of opportunities, and hopefully some real bargains to be had (but avoid Ebay like the plague!).
Thanks - appreciate your thoughts here .... the challenge is that until you live with a MH you cannot discover the details around what works for you. On layout I am really comfortable .... having started looking a various others I realised the front lounge on a van conversion is what we are after.

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
:hiya: :pink:

This isn't to try and put a damper on your choice, however having been to the NEC a couple of times and looked at various dealers we decided that a front lounge would be perfect for us and 2 dogs, and on paper it was, we had a shortlist of 4 van conversions with front lounges and the only other constraint being that it had to be 5.4m long. We settled for a Colorado from Devon Conversions, put in our order, waited for it to be built and then went to collect it and from there it slowly went downhill, although I'll put my hand up to being the one who went from being the most enthusiastic to the one who got to the point of hating it.

3 months after purchase we traded it in for the one we have now, a front dinette with 2 seat belts which is perfect for the 2 dogs to travel on with harnesses which fix to the seat belt clip - at night one sleeps on the dinette seat the other in a dog bed on the floor. We have a fixed small double transverse bed at the back with a decent mattress. No making up the bed every night, if I want to go to bed early then Mark can still sit up front and watch a film, I can draw the curtain across which shuts me off from the rest of the van. The only differences, other than no nightly bed making, the current van has no oven but has plenty of storage under the bed - there will always be trade offs and compromises but hiring a van with the layout you want might save you from making an expensive mistake further down the line.

Oct 14, 2011
Chichester,West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Wildax Hi Top
Exp
Since 2002
I have had my Wildax just 3 years now and it is brilliant.
May I suggest you could join the Wildax Enthusiasts Group on Facebook. It is free to be a member you just need to be an owner or thinking of buying one.There are 753 members to date and lots of brilliant info on all the models by their owners.It is not a group for general chit chat unless it is Campervan related. There is the odd joke now and then mind you.

OP
OP
TimW

TimW

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
WildAx (on order)
Exp
I have had my Wildax just 3 years now and it is brilliant.
May I suggest you could join the Wildax Enthusiasts Group on Facebook. It is free to be a member you just need to be an owner or thinking of buying one.There are 753 members to date and lots of brilliant info on all the models by their owners.It is not a group for general chit chat unless it is Campervan related. There is the odd joke now and then mind you.
Thanks for that suggestion šŸ˜€

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
Hello.
Waiting for delivery of our new Campervan, hopefully in September.

We did the same as you, shows, magazines, forums etc. We settled on the layout we wanted, 4 travel seats, fixed rear bed and no longer than 6m (due to parking issues). Plus all the bolt on extras.

We were looking for used, but having got a great deal on a new Sunlight Cliff 600, we are paying less than we expecting to for a nearly new used van. :giggle:

Nov 24, 2017
Greater London
Funster No
MH
2021 Burstner TD680G
Exp
Camping , caravanning, campervaning for 10 years
Hello and welcome.. my wife and I can testify to being some of those who thought they knew what they wanted layout wise, albeit in a coach built, and about 6 months later we traded said van back to a dealer for something completely different. Of course we kidded ourselves it didn't cost us too much but ... of course it did! We swapped to a caravan but now find ourselves a further 12 months down the line having just signed on the dotted line for another motorhome again at a huge financial loss %age wise on caravan and tow car... We feel though that this moho layout is now as perfect as is possible for us but there are still compromises with it but we can live with them which we couldn't with two previous experiences. Dont be afraid to admit you might have it thought out wrongly and swap (if you can afford to) asap or you will come to not enjoy your vehicle at all.

Sep 19, 2013
Cabbunk Central
Funster No
MH
Carado T459
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi. So after a couple of years of pontificating, several NEC visits, many magazines, I am on the brink of jumping into the motorhome world. Both head and heart point towards a WildAx Constellation 3 XL. Love the front lounge. 3rd travel seat should work for my two cairn terriers. Have been tempted by just about everything I have looked at ... but this seems to be the one ....and the wife is on board too. If anyone has a WildAx love to here your thoughts on ownership !

Sep 19, 2013
Cabbunk Central
Funster No
MH
Carado T459
Exp
Not long enough!
Hi, I meet lots of campervan owners with different brands (I fit Patented Cabbunks extra childbeds) and Wildax owners love their vans. The quality and comfort seems very good. If you like it, and if you have gone through your daily routine including putting on pants etc. Go for it!

OP
OP
TimW

TimW

Free Member
May 30, 2020
Funster No
MH
WildAx (on order)
Exp
Thanks for the inputs. I can see why getting it right first time round is really difficult. In the last 2 years I have been totally sure about a Burstner 590, a Knaus, something much bigger, an IH 630 FL and now the WildAx Constellation. Actually it was the IH that grabbed my attention and made me look at van conversations. Thinking of a rainy day in Wales the space with the front lounge just seems to work well. The WildAx seems to provide a lot of kit for the money. Well off for a viewing on Thursday so letā€™s see how it plays out :giggle:

Apr 27, 2018
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
WildAx Solaris XL
Exp
Since 2019
Hi Tim, there are quite a number of WildAx owners on MHF, myself included.
One of the useful things about WildAx which I found helpful was that they have examples of each of their vans available to hire out. You can spend a week really trying out the van you think will suit you - and if you then order will get half the hire cost discounted. Hiring is a really good way to find out if a van works for you or not with minimal risk/cost if you've got it wrong!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back