The tribulations of trying to get insurance for German import (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
bellabee
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
2015 thread :giggle: He must be home by now .
We sure are! We used Safeguard and drove 3rd party to the continental port, covered fully comp when we hit British soil.
2 years later, we traded that van in against a new one in Belgium. This time, the dealer drove it to the port on his insurance. That time, we used a sister company of Safeguard who's name escapes me
(PS Rob Hammond I'm female)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Would the German dealer 'drive home' insurance cover you for third party in the UK also till you got home. Then insure with UK insurer once you have it registered?
Yes ,you can also get it for different periods of time but obviously this costs more-

Apr 12, 2012
N/E Lincs
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Rienza
Exp
as above
This problem with insurance is nothing new. When we moved back from Germany our car was British Forces registered. Because we were settling in the UK rather than just staying for a short time the nice man at customs said our German Insurance was only valid if we were going back to Germany. I didn’t see why we couldn’t sort this out later but he said it had to be done in 24hrs. Being Saturday morning we would have to re insure the car that morning.
After a force twelve gale during the crossing I was tempted to risk driving to Manchester and sorting it on the Monday. The customs person was a jobs worth and told us to come back with proof of insurance within 24 hrs. That meant a taxi into Hull, find the AA office and return with the insurance.
On returning to the customs office the lady behind the counter said he had no rite to make us go through that. It would have been ok to drive home and sort it latter.
I keep looking for him when we go via hull but we never saw him again.

Aug 28, 2017
Leicester
Funster No
MH
None at the mo.
We sure are! We used Safeguard and drove 3rd party to the continental port, covered fully comp when we hit British soil.
2 years later, we traded that van in against a new one in Belgium. This time, the dealer drove it to the port on his insurance. That time, we used a sister company of Safeguard who's name escapes me
(PS Rob Hammond I'm female)
Do accept my apologies :giggle:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Would the German dealer 'drive home' insurance cover you for third party in the UK also till you got home. Then insure with UK insurer once you have it registered?
The German export plates will cover Third party anywhere in the EU we imported ours in 2018 and then got the import procedure completed and registered the van then we were able to get fully comp be aware though it can be pricy as companies don’t like self imports for some reason😊

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back