The New N B Smove and iSmove (1 Viewer)

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
I have just had a look at the new above Motorhomes, naturally very good quality with ultra modern ideas if perhaps a little Clinical in internal appearance.
The Starting price for both is under 75k Euros +vat ect.
Below the basic descriptive spec are several option pages. which can easily add another 25k to the price. Why oh why do the European manufacturers not give a good spec to their vehicles and leave a couple of luxury extras for options. . Even BMW and Mercedes fit radios to their cars now!!

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I have just had a look at the new above Motorhomes, naturally very good quality with ultra modern ideas if perhaps a little Clinical in internal appearance.
Below the basic descriptive spec are several option pages. which can easily add another 25k to the price. Why oh why do the European manufacturers not give a good spec to their vehicles and leave a couple of luxury extras for options. . Even BMW and Mercedes fit radios to their cars now!!
Sorry I missed this before, I am on my third niesmann and seen a lot of them (and other quality makes) I was really disappointed with the smoves, wobbly panels and basic IKEA standards of them. Imo niesmann have lost the plot with the smove and i smove.

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
Sorry I missed this before, I am on my third niesmann and seen a lot of them (and other quality makes) I was really disappointed with the smoves, wobbly panels and basic IKEA standards of them. Imo niesmann have lost the plot with the smove and i smove.
We all see things differently and the success of the Smove proves its popularity,so successful in fact that they introduced a new model the iSmove after a couple of years and at around £100k with a decent specification you will have long wait if you ordered one.

l had a Smove and didn’t witness any of the issues you mention,however,the IKEA style is crisp in colour and style and a tad too far for some but it continues into the iSmove with many innovative additions that will find their way into other brands in the not too distant future.

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
It’s where their profit lay, Ford realised this back in the 60s a base cortina would cost x, make it a 1500 GT it would cost X +++ and the more bits added the more Margin compared to a base vehicle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
We all see things differently and the success of the Smove proves its popularity,so successful in fact that they introduced a new model the iSmove after a couple of years and at around £100k with a decent specification you will have long wait if you ordered one.

l had a Smove and didn’t witness any of the issues you mention,however,the IKEA style is crisp in colour and style and a tad too far for some but it continues into the iSmove with many innovative additions that will find their way into other brands in the not too distant future.
I had the 2010 era Arto with the toilet swinging into the garage and it was a substantial piece of engineering and never gave an ounce of trouble. My previous 2004 Arto was heavy because it was made to last. And my current Clouliner (the oldest yet) has a feel of quality to every item even though its 17 years old its better than many newer models ( We could easily afford a new liner btw).

The I smove I went in at Polch last year had a sliding shower wall made out of plastic that literally felt like it was going to come away in my hand, it also had a pop up shelf in the kitchen that I would not have dared to put anything heavier than a coffee mug on and generally felt really flimsy; more so than Smoves I have been in which to be fair have a nice lounge and bedroom but the functional bits are too Ikea - fold away the toilet to get to the basin and then pull the shower across, and the kitchen was similarly compromised. N&B's were not like this, the brand was built on quality and durability so much so they could almost be a bit masculine.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Does the NiBi still have an upward opening garage door ?
A very bad design concept in my opinion as they require very strong pneumatic pistons to hold them open.
If the piston fails when the door is closed and you try and open the door, the bracket holding the piston rips out of the back of the door and may result in a new door at €2,000 if out of warranty
Furthermore a top hinged garage door is difficult to open in confined spaces compare with a side hung one.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The I smove I went in at Polch last year had a sliding shower wall made out of plastic that literally felt like it was going to come away in my hand, it also had a pop up shelf in the kitchen that I would not have dared to put anything heavier than a coffee mug on and generally felt really flimsy; more so than Smoves
Weight saving to pretend you can run them at 3500. We have had 3 Hymers 2008, 2014 & 2017. Each one flimsier that the last.
A very bad design concept in my opinion as they require very strong pneumatic pistons to hold them open.
If the piston fails when the door is closed and you try and open the door, the bracket holding the piston rips out of the back of the door and may result in a new door at €2,000 if out of warranty
Furthermore a top hinged garage door is difficult to open in confined spaces compare with a side hung one.
Carthago do the same with the larger vans the e lines and above.

May 7, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 2003
It just the way the Germans do it, it has the advantage that you can specify the options you want rather than all the junk the manufacture thinks you should have.
I prefer it that way.
I agree.

I not only prefer choosing my own options but think it is a very sensible way of doing things. It is not just the cost of items you don’t need or want but the weight of them. Motorhome payload is a vital consideration, which is often overlooked by purchasers and deliberately ignored by some sales people. Having your motorhome jammed with standard items you are not going to use much might mean you have to leave the children and dog at home.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I imagine if they did that the base price would go up to just shy of 100k and people would be complaining that there was a load of stuff on the van that they didn't want and didn't want to pay for.

Our Palace comes reasonably well specced I think but there is still a big list of options and I am sure they sell these at a premium compared to if they had included them in the basic spec. The way we ordered our van makes it unique to us and is exactly how we wanted it(y)

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I mostly agree but the benefit though is that a top hinged door is very unlikely to come open when driving , something I did experience during a test drive in a Hymer with a side hinged door, not that I believe its a common problem.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I mostly agree but the benefit though is that a top hinged door is very unlikely to come open when driving , something I did experience during a test drive in a Hymer with a side hinged door, not that I believe its a common problem.
I have had both now and on reflection I would go for side hinged again, primarily as its easier to sneak into the garage when you are in a tight space, they are a bit prone to getting blown open in the wind so I have put a removable bungee cord on ours to stop in blowing too far especially when I have the awning out a little bit and the leg is close to the van and would get clattered by the door.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back