The Jumar's at no. 32 go on holiday (From Spain to ????) (2 Viewers)

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I'll up mine to 11750 and still hope I'm wrong.

Hope it's done by Thursday cos we're off then and want to know the outcome. (y)

Edit: XE converts that to virtually the same as @Robert Clark

Not being drawn.....First Direct gave me a little plastic card....and a huge spending limit to go with it.....how nice of them to think of us.......

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Sorry to read your updated news on the van repair, we are going to join in GTB and say 998 euros but we do hope that our guess is wrong and too high.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
As you keep saying Norway is very expensive I’m going for £1500.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
The way I see things is this....when we bought the van I checked on the internet to see if there were any others like ours for sale.
I found one in Holland for 19,000€ more than ours...same year etc.....so providing the bill dosent exceed that figure we are still on top.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
The way I see things is this....when we bought the van I checked on the internet to see if there were any others like ours for sale.
I found one in Holland for 19,000€ more than ours...same year etc.....so providing the bill dosent exceed that figure we are still on top.
You’ve had your money’s worth , all that travelling!!!

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
Had a new alternator fitted in Germany circa 2010 - €500. Red ignition light came on, so wasn't charging. In retrospect, it could have just been a blown fuse, but was keen to get it sorted asap.

Make sure they fit the same rated alternator. Hymer normally buy-in the base vehicle with enhanced alternator output to cope with charging the leisure batteries.

Don't quite know why you need a new alternator. Assume it was working ok (ie. no red ignition light showing) BEFORE the belt broke.

How has the garage tested the alternator output? Presumably the alternator has now been removed from the vehicle and they've used an electric drill, or something, to similulate the output from the alternator. The output from the alternator should register 14.4v when connected to a donor 12v battery.

Another thing to consider.....the alternator usually has a voltage regulator incorporated in the outer housing of the alternator. If the voltage output is less than 14.4v, this item can be replaced quite cheaply for less than €20. @Techno knows more about alternators than me, so may be able to help.

Hope you get it sorted quickly and at less cost than anticipated.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Had a new alternator fitted in Germany circa 2010 - €500. Red ignition light came on, so wasn't charging. In retrospect, it could have just been a blown fuse, but was keen to get it sorted asap.

Make sure they fit the same rated alternator. Hymer normally buy-in the base vehicle with enhanced alternator output to cope with charging the leisure batteries.

Don't quite know why you need a new alternator. Assume it was working ok (ie. no red ignition light showing) BEFORE the belt broke.

How has the garage tested the alternator output? Presumably the alternator has now been removed from the vehicle and they've used an electric drill, or something, to similulate the output from the alternator. The output from the alternator should register 14.4v when connected to a donor 12v battery.

Another thing to consider.....the alternator usually has a voltage regulator incorporated in the outer housing of the alternator. If the voltage output is less than 14.4v, this item can be replaced quite cheaply for less than €20. @Techno knows more about alternators than me, so may be able to help.

Hope you get it sorted quickly and at less cost than anticipated.

Thanks for advice, especially related to Motorhome requirements of an alternator... something we all can take note of.
In my case the problem is the mechanical workings of the alternator not the output.
It was shown to me that the bearing is worn....with the new belt and tensioner fitted the alternator pulley was tracking.... something that couldn't be seen during their first visual inspection.

Oct 9, 2017
Wisbech
Funster No
MH
2007 Hymer B654
Exp
Since 2005
Keep the old alternator, then you may be able to get it repaired later.

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Oh dear, this is not good for the purse strings. We will all be bringing you food parcels this winter!

I really hope you are back on the road soon.

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Here at the moment.

In real time!!!

IMG_20180801_105350.jpg

Heading back down soon to find out what's what!!!

Amazing to have internet up here :D.

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Got the van made a big mistake by saying I am on Motorhome Fun.....will post final bill later......

jumar

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 6, 2012
Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
Ready...... total bill which includes express carriage......£1860....
Paid without tip with Credit Card.....might need to plan ahead our next Norwegian trip...like don't go....been stung on consecutive trips....That's life...

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Paid without tip with Credit Card.....might need to plan ahead our next Norwegian trip...like don't go....been stung on consecutive trips....That's life...

Crikey that’s a lot of money Martin

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
OMG.........
How much could Judith's bro have mended for?

Still it's done and you can be on your way!!!!!

Very Safe Travels both!!

OP
OP
jumartoo

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I'm leaving Martin to post about the "BILL". I'll do the nice bit.

Our walk to the top of the fell was very pleasant

IMG_20180801_105808.jpg

and we spent time foraging bilberries and raspberries on the way down. (Delaying the inevitable, perhaps?)

IMG_20180801_171633.jpg

(The bowl is very big!!!)

Anyhow. Check out the anthill!!!
IMG_20180801_115223.jpg

We're now parked just above a small marina. We can't get on the official area cos some people don't leave space for others :(but we're happy where we are.

Were being fed tonight. Got to have British steak and chips and trimmings :D.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I'm leaving Martin to post about the "BILL". I'll do the nice bit.

Our walk to the top of the fell was very pleasant

View attachment 246741

and we spent time foraging bilberries and raspberries on the way down. (Delaying the inevitable, perhaps?)

View attachment 246739
(The bowl is very big!!!)

Anyhow. Check out the anthill!!!
View attachment 246738

We're now parked just above a small marina. We can't get on the official area cos some people don't leave space for others :(but we're happy where we are.

Were being fed tonight. Got to have British steak and trimmings :D.
Don’t let today’s events spoil your dinner - berries look wonderful

Jenben

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Uk
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis I
Exp
Since 2007
Well I notice my guess was out by a factor of twoish.

Your trips to Norway are making a cruise to the fjords look like a cheaper option :)

Ber090

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 12, 2012
West Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2012
Buddy ell! BUT it’s done now so forget it and get on with the trip AND open the Gin! I feel like starting a Funsters Gin collection for you both;)(y):whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back