The dangers of gas in a van ? (1 Viewer)

stevel2

Free Member
Jan 28, 2018
Swindon
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2017
I know sometimes people get annoyed with the 6mtr rule on bigger sites. Seen photos of vans being crammed into aires as well. I guess we have to be glad for rules at times. Scary incident.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
I don't do a test on my home every year but I do on the van, at the start of the season

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Please can anybody recommend a particular gas sniffer? There seems to be such a range on sale & neither I nor OH are gas experts. We do get it checked every year but would be good to be able to check for ourselves in the interim. We use propane. Thanks
I use a Honey well Ezsence.
Amazon product ASIN B008ASXV8W

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Gromitandvan

Free Member
Aug 14, 2020
Funster No
MH
Mclouis Fusion 367
Exp
Interesting report Dave. I wonder if it was the smoke detector which woke the other bloke or perhaps the carbon monoxide alarm?

If there was an uncontained fire burning for a while, the explosion was probably the gas cylinder going off.
It is highly unlikely that a cylinder would explode and if it did, I wouldn’t want to be within 100 metres. The Gaslow cylinders are described as being bonfire proof, not that I am prepared to check!

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
Mobiles have AML embedded in them so that in an emergency you can be found, it also means that you are not reliant on downloading or operating the app in a scenario such as this and in that scenario the person could be 100's of meters from the original call yet AML would still track them allowing an efficient rescue. Just saying...... ;)
What is AML?

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
OK thanks ... a note of caution then, your phone may be capable of sending AML location information, but the local emergency services may not yet be capable of using it. Their telephone and Command and Control Systems would need upgrading to deal with it.
You may be surprised, AML was borne out of a disaster a while ago. This is the latest update on wiki and like all technology updates to availability will only increase globally.

Geographical availability​

As of March 2021 AML was deployed in:[9]Australia,[10] Austria (not for all emergency numbers; Android only), Belgium, Croatia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany (most of Public Safety Answering Points, PSAPs), Iceland, Ireland, Lithuania, Mexico (some PSAPs; Android only), Moldova, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Romania, Slovenia (Android only), Sweden, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom and the United States (some PSAPs).
The European Electronic Communications Code mandates that all EU states were required to implement AML by December 2020.[11]

AML was developed in the United Kingdom in 2014 by British Telecom, EE Limited, and HTCas a solution to problematic caller location in emergencies.[3] When a person in distress calls the emergency services with a smartphone where AML is enabled, the telephone automatically activates its location service to establish its position and sends this information to the emergency services via an SMS.[4] The services uses either a global navigation satellite system or WiFi depending on which one is better at the given moment. It was estimated that this technique is up to 4000 times more accurate than the previously used system.[5]

Advanced Mobile Location (or AML) is a free-of-charge emergency location-based service(LBS) available on smartphones that, when a caller dials the local (in country) short dial emergency telephone number, sends the best available geolocation of the caller to a dedicated end-point, usually a Public Safety Answering Point, making the location of the caller available to emergency call takers in real-time. AML improves the time taken by emergency call takers to verify the location of callers and can improve the time taken to dispatch an emergency response.

AML is a protocol to transport data with SMS and/or HTTPS from the phone to the emergency call centre in all countries that have deployed AML; it is not an app and does not require any action from the caller.[1] AML is supported in many countries, and by all smartphones running recent versions of Android or iOS, although it can be disabled in user settings.

AML was standardised by the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) Emergency Telecommunications Subcommittee (EMTEL)[1] in 2019 as Technical Specifications.[2

Sep 17, 2020
Totton
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 745
Exp
Since Sept 2020.
You may be surprised, AML was borne out of a disaster a while ago. This is the latest update on wiki and like all technology updates to availability will only increase globally.

Geographical availability​

As of March 2021 AML was deployed in:[9]Australia,[10] Austria (not for all emergency numbers; Android only), Belgium, Croatia, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, Germany (most of Public Safety Answering Points, PSAPs), Iceland, Ireland, Lithuania, Mexico (some PSAPs; Android only), Moldova, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Romania, Slovenia (Android only), Sweden, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom and the United States (some PSAPs).
The European Electronic Communications Code mandates that all EU states were required to implement AML by December 2020.[11]

AML was developed in the United Kingdom in 2014 by British Telecom, EE Limited, and HTCas a solution to problematic caller location in emergencies.[3] When a person in distress calls the emergency services with a smartphone where AML is enabled, the telephone automatically activates its location service to establish its position and sends this information to the emergency services via an SMS.[4] The services uses either a global navigation satellite system or WiFi depending on which one is better at the given moment. It was estimated that this technique is up to 4000 times more accurate than the previously used system.[5]

Advanced Mobile Location (or AML) is a free-of-charge emergency location-based service(LBS) available on smartphones that, when a caller dials the local (in country) short dial emergency telephone number, sends the best available geolocation of the caller to a dedicated end-point, usually a Public Safety Answering Point, making the location of the caller available to emergency call takers in real-time. AML improves the time taken by emergency call takers to verify the location of callers and can improve the time taken to dispatch an emergency response.

AML is a protocol to transport data with SMS and/or HTTPS from the phone to the emergency call centre in all countries that have deployed AML; it is not an app and does not require any action from the caller.[1] AML is supported in many countries, and by all smartphones running recent versions of Android or iOS, although it can be disabled in user settings.

AML was standardised by the European Telecommunications Standards Institute (ETSI) Emergency Telecommunications Subcommittee (EMTEL)[1] in 2019 as Technical Specifications.[2
Having worked in Emergency Services communications for years I know how long it takes to get funding to upgrade their systems to accommodate emerging technologies, assuming its possible in the first place. For example the C&C system I was involved in procuring and installing in 1999 for a police force was was replaced with newer technology two years ago - that's the sort of lifecycle public sector organisations work to for multi-million pound systems given their lack of funding. Wikipedia actually mentions the difficulties in the same section you posted.

A cautious approach is probably better until it's absolutely certain all relevent agencies have the technology.

WhatThreeWords has its critics, but is better than 'not far from the big holly tree near the end of the old runway' which was I was given as the location of a seriously injured horse rider when I was a police officer in the New Forest. (As it happened I knew it, but the Ambulance crew from 20 miles away didn't).

Coolcats

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 24, 2019
Funster No
MH
HymerCar Ayres Rock
Having worked in Emergency Services communications for years I know how long it takes to get funding to upgrade their systems to accommodate emerging technologies, assuming its possible in the first place. For example the C&C system I was involved in procuring and installing in 1999 for a police force was was replaced with newer technology two years ago - that's the sort of lifecycle public sector organisations work to for multi-million pound systems given their lack of funding. Wikipedia actually mentions the difficulties in the same section you posted.

A cautious approach is probably better until it's absolutely certain all relevent agencies have the technology.

WhatThreeWords has its critics, but is better than 'not far from the big holly tree near the end of the old runway' which was I was given as the location of a seriously injured horse rider when I was a police officer in the New Forest. (As it happened I knew it, but the Ambulance crew from 20 miles away didn't).
Not going to argue just saying no app required people panic in emergencies as you will know and like the lad in the RNLI link, how the heck was he going to download let alone use an app when he thought he was drowning?

Your using rational logic you know people are not clear headed and logical in an emergency, given how an AML message is sent, just how much upgrading is required? very little to none I suspect.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back