Temporary insurance (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Hi our insurance has conveniently expired just as we come to sell our van. We need to.insure it to demonstrate it to interested parties though . Does anyone know if you can just insure it for a day at a time like you can with a car?

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Personally I would insure properly !
You will take a hit when you need to cancel but how long will it be before you sell it. ? Also 1 day cover will mean the rest of the time it's not covered for theft or fire etc.
I had a similar thing when I bought a new van but still had the old one to sell private, shopped around and found a cheaper policy minus all the breakdown etc...

Take one day cover, go for a demo drive to show someone, pass one of the ANPR cameras and it could give you a headache unless the insurance database is updated quickly.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks
I'm.expecting to sell it in a week when we're ready.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Don't forget you need to declare it SORN if not insured and tax it again when you want to use it so as Tonka said probably best to insure anyway then transfer to your next one.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Why not look into insuring it normally but paying by DD monthly - over the full year it would cost more but not for the short term as some of them don't have a £50 cancellation charge when you pay by DD.

Another option if you are sure you're gonna sell it quickly, is to insure it normally and within the 14 day cancellation period which most policies have, cancel it as this normally doesn't incur any cancellation fee but I think this would need to be with a new insurer not a simple renewal of your existing one.

As for 'proper' short term insurance, forget it .. it's expensive!

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I don't think you can get tempory insurance for Motorhomes only cars, you will have to insure it normally and suffer the £25 cancellation fee. Short term insurance is very expensive even if you could it, get insuring & cancelling would be the cheapest option.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I don't think you can get tempory insurance for Motorhomes only cars, you will have to insure it normally and suffer the £25 cancellation fee. Short term insurance is very expensive even if you could get insuring & cancelling would be the cheapest option.
Cancellation fees are now normally £50 ... a right rip off!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back