Dartagnan

Free Member
Mar 27, 2013
Bangor NI
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
My major stroke 4 years ago put our motorhome plans on hold. Late last year we decided we would give the venture another go and then I was diagnosed with rectal cancer! I"m not sure if someone is telling me dont do it but hey ho.
I have had the tumour removed and just started the chemo treatment. For a number of reasons I had been researching and looking at new entry level coach builds.
There is only the two of us and hopefully a lab pup but i had been interested in vans that had two separate sleeping areas due to our sleeping habits. As is the way of things we have looked at vans around the £45000+ mark but bit by bit they have got to £64000 (Auto Trail Apache 700).
Now it may be the case that we revert to the original budget but I got to thinking that in the £60 - £70K price range we must be in very good second hand A Class vans range. As I have never really researched this market I am a little overwhelmed with all the model variants etc.
I realise the layouts will be different with fixed beds at the rear and dinette and lounge up front and hopefully a drop down double but I would be very grateful if the experienced and knowledgeable on here could give me some suggestions for vans which I could research further. The only proviso is that they should be relatively modern vans. I am not asking for details of vans which are advertised but the marque and model etc. I can then do the research on auto trader and the likes.
Many thanks
Martin

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I wouldn't go with Autotrail on this.

The rear lounge / beds are fine but the dinette bed is rubbish and the over cab bed is a bit of a climb as you get older.

For your price range, have a look at some of the vans with pull down beds ( much lower than Autotrail).

Good luck

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
we must be in very good second hand A Class vans range.
Martin

Buying new is a mug's game, all the evidence is on FUN. You pay loads of ££££££, you lose loads of £££££ as soon as you turn the key. You spend the next year getting it to the condition you thought it was when you turned that key.

So second hand is the thinking man's vehicle.

But A or C class is not so easy. A gives you a bit more luxury but when things go wrong they are a nightmare. Even a windscreen chip can ruin your day. A wing mirror could give you another stroke.

Which leaves C class. Basically a simple commercial chassis, easy to work on and spared off the shelf. Go for it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Buying new is a mug's game, all the evidence is on FUN. You pay loads of ££££££, you lose loads of £££££ as soon as you turn the key. You spend the next year getting it to the condition you thought it was when you turned that key.

So second hand is the thinking man's vehicle.

But A or C class is not so easy. A gives you a bit more luxury but when things go wrong they are a nightmare. Even a windscreen chip can ruin your day. A wing mirror could give you another stroke.

Which leaves C class. Basically a simple commercial chassis, easy to work on and spared off the shelf. Go for it.
I do agree that a used van is the key to a lot of van at not a lot of money, I don't know why a chipped screen or bust mirror is any more of a problem with an "A" class than anything else and as they are on a commercial chassis the spares are available just the same as a coachbuilt.

Martin

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hi @Dartagnan

You need to decide on a few starter point, layout, preferred chassis, FWD or RWD, length and weight, and I suppose how old are you happy with?

Martin

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Good to see your up to getting out and about and looking for new adventures, your price range of 40-60k will buy you a very nice A-class with most of the toys to play with, that the previous owner so very nicely put on at great expense for you...

There are loads out there with twin beds at the back or beds at front and back, your budget will give you endless browsing.

I don't know your personal circumstances so just check with yourself about having the correct license for the vehicle you decide on and the best of travels to you...(y)

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I do agree that a used van is the key to a lot of van at not a lot of money, I don't know why a chipped screen or bust mirror is any more of a problem with an "A" class than anything else and as they are on a commercial chassis the spares are available just the same as a coachbuilt.

Martin

Windscreens on an A class can be £2-3k if your insurance doesn't cover it and some of the costs quoted for a new mirror are horrendous.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Windscreens on an A class can be £2-3k if your insurance doesn't cover it and some of the costs quoted for a new mirror are horrendous.

Our windscreen is a lot more than that, but surely thats why you make sure its covered on your insurance. And buy an "A" class with commercially available (not MH dealer part) mirrors and there should not be a problem.

Martin

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Our windscreen is a lot more than that, but surely thats why you make sure its covered on your insurance. And buy an "A" class with commercially available (not MH dealer part) mirrors and there should not be a problem.

Martin

I think it was mentioned originally as something to be aware of.

Not everyone is born clever.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I think it was mentioned originally as something to be aware of.

Not everyone is born clever.
I took it that the suggestion was to avoid "A" class for those reasons it didn't read as a "to be aware of", for sure you should be aware that windscreens can be expensive and make sure you are covered.

Martin

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I take it youhave never bought new then. We are on our 3rd new van and find them better value than buying second hand, pervious two vans only devalued by 5% per year, I find that more than acceptable.

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
I take it youhave never bought new then. We are on our 3rd new van and find them better value than buying second hand, pervious two vans only devalued by 5% per year, I find that more than acceptable.
....I like the thought that I'm first to sleep in my bed and after all, someone has to buy them new, otherwise the used market would never have started (y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dartagnan

Dartagnan

Free Member
Mar 27, 2013
Bangor NI
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Thank you very much for the helpful advice and opinions.
@wizzer59 that is absolutely stunning and fits the bill perfectly but is just outside my affordability.
I have taken note of all the points and will bear them in mind when researching further. The choice is bewildering but it is enjoyable searching for a van and pleased there is so much choice.

Upvote 0
Nov 3, 2016
Derbyshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph
Exp
Since 2016
We bought ours 1 year old with 1800 miles on it and the plastic still on the rear mattresss and honestly could not tell it apart from a new one at all except for the £7-8k saving on new.

Which talking about deprecation. I keep looking on eBay and can still find the same van with more miles for the same money i paid! One is even ex rental with 20k more miles and not available until October and they still are asking more than I paid! I'd seriously look at 1 year old low miles.

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
Just a pointer that if you do look at s/h N+B the twin single layout on the Arto has an 'E' suffix to the model number, which itself is the approx. length. Helps to scan the adverts without haveing to do much research on models.

I just wonder about your licence - if you have a C1 and are anywhere near 70 it may be difficult to renew because of medical. If not excuse my mentioning it. If it could be a problem later, you would be lucky to find many 'A' Class that can give a good payload at max 3500kg, because they are more robustly built.

Geoff

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I don't know why a chipped screen or bust mirror is any more of a problem with an "A"
Martin

Just the facts I've seen on here. Windsreens £3000 if you are lucky, mirrors £1000 if you are lucky, just because both are not common stock item parts. Where C class cabs are just delivery van items with cheap pattern parts available.

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Just the facts I've seen on here. Windsreens £3000 if you are lucky, mirrors £1000 if you are lucky, just because both are not common stock item parts. Where C class cabs are just delivery van items with cheap pattern parts available.
A small price to pay for the advantages an A Class offers. I can't see us wanting any other type of van now we have had a couple.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Im with Lenny to be honest, I would think that people appreciate that a big bit of glass is going to more money than a standard white van screen and it would be covered on their insurance, our mirrors and many other "A" class I imagine are standard Hella bus/coach mirrors 260 Euro.

Be aware! for sure but no reason to dismiss a whole style of van.

Martin

Upvote 0
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009

What does that word mean Lenny?

:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Upvote 0

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
Hi @Dartagnan , best way to approach it all ,is to find which layout you preferr the most ,write down a list of must haves and a list of id likes ,then get to several dealerships and try out stuff like the beds ,toilets,showers ,find out if you can get into or out of them etc ,once you have your preferred layout ,that cuts down the choices and before you buy,learn to use a damp meter and check the moho for damp ,there is a lot of knowledge on this site ,dont be scared to ask quesstions ,we spent about a year researching before we bought ,get the layout that you want and then fit the budget to suit ,good hunting(y)(y)

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dartagnan

Dartagnan

Free Member
Mar 27, 2013
Bangor NI
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
I love the 'balance' provided by the replies including issues I hadn't even considered. They certainly thought provoking and help with the decision process for which I am genuinely grateful.

Upvote 0
Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
No 1 priority for me are two 'lounging' settees which are always available to flop onto for a snooze or reading without having to faff about setting up cushions. For this reason some types of dinette and drop-down layouts are not ideal.

Upvote 0
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
Hi @Dartagnan , best way to approach it all ,is to find which layout you preferr the most ,write down a list of must haves and a list of id likes ,then get to several dealerships and try out stuff like the beds ,toilets,showers

I've been looking at vans for over a year now and I've been banned from 4 dealers for trying out the toilets, I don't get it I even opened the windows:whistle::LOL:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back