Stupid Me (1 Viewer)

Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Van all drained down for winter and decided to put heater on to warm up for a bit put electric on and forgot the boiler was still switched on do you think it has burned out it was on for about two hours didn't want to fill with water to check but suppose will have to

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
I don't know but that's exactly the sort of thing I would do.
There'll be someone knowledgeable along soon to advise, I'm sure.

jnn

Free Member
Oct 22, 2016
cheshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion trafic
Exp
nooby
No idea sorry, don't they have no water in here protection?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
My truma heater will provide heat without water as long as I chose heat only on the selector. If I inadvertently choose water and heat it refuses to come on and shows an error light/. Assuming you have a similar system there should be no problem.
It might help if you could name model and make of mh and if possible make and name of heater

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
You will do no harm by filling it with water and testing. The boiler itself won't be damaged but as Dave Newell suggests there's a good chance you'll need a new element. You won't know until you try it :).

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Is it easy to put a new element in?
I'm not au fait with MoHo hot water tanks so I wouldn't know the ease or otherwise of fitting an element in such, but I'm an old hand (literally) at fitting elements in domestic copper & s/steel cylinders & 8/10 are an absolute swine, especially the 15" type in the bottom of the vessel. Many many times I've had to replace the cylinder (very expensive) because the old element was seized in situ.
If you do have a problem with your domestic hot water & you'd like some advice, come back to me on here & I'll be happy to help.
All the best Borr, from dunear in Narfuk.(y):)

Nov 23, 2011
durham
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
since 2006
It will probably be ok. I did the same a couple of years ago. It had been switched on for 10 mims before I remembered I had emptied it the previous time out. Switched it off left for 30 mins and then after refilling was ok. I would have thought the element would have would have switched off on a thermal safety switch which would reset after refilling. Hope its ok.

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
agree there should be a safety cut off switch, perhaps with a manual reset button though.

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
It will probably be ok. I did the same a couple of years ago. It had been switched on for 10 mims before I remembered I had emptied it the previous time out. Switched it off left for 30 mins and then after refilling was ok. I would have thought the element would have would have switched off on a thermal safety switch which would reset after refilling. Hope its ok.

The thermal over temp measures the temperature of the water, not the temp of the element, don't want to be a doom & gloom merchant but my pro experience would have me laying money on the element being open circuit,,, buggered. (n)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
As above, it will depend on what type of water heater you're talking about. If you have just one heater (a combi boiler) for heating and water, you're most likely to be OK. If the water heater is stand-alone, it may have burnt-out the element. Replacement will depend on where the unit is installed. They're not normally put in with the intention of changing the element, so it could become a big job. There might just be a reset button, somewhere, and, if you're lucky, that may just need pressing back in. Good luck (you may need it)!

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
There is usually a safety switch to PREVENT the boiler lighting UNLESS you remove the boiler vent cover outside the van..
Thats how it is on our Autotrail anyway..
So I hope you were lucky.
Mitch.

OP
OP
sally47
Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks for your replies just filled with water and wow it's working so now it's LUCKY me by the way it's a ultra store rapid boiler on auto trail chieftain boiler has always worked on electric without taking cowling off but has to be removed on gas got to remember to empty water now

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
You will do no harm by filling it with water and testing. The boiler itself won't be damaged but as Dave Newell suggests there's a good chance you'll need a new element. You won't know until you try it :).

It might not hurt the heater to check but it might hurt his wallet to find out!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back