Strava Segments (1 Viewer)

Apr 26, 2018
England, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Learning all the time
When using Strava. Where it says Segments did Stava pick these or is it people in training who pay for the app who decide them.
While on the subject is the paid version much different. Worth it?

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
When using Strava. Where it says Segments did Stava pick these or is it people in training who pay for the app who decide them.
While on the subject is the paid version much different. Worth it?

They are created by users; I've created a few longer ones near me to help track my times over 15 and 20 mile routes. I don't know if you can create them as a non-subscriber. IMHO, it is worth subscribing if you have a heart rate monitor and / power meter linked to your Garmin or similar bike computer (I'm not sure if they can be linked to phones). I wouldn't subscribe if I didn't have heart rate data to analyse.

I think that they often offer 30 day trials to let you see what premium membership is like.

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Innkeeper
I found using Strava segments, which are created by paying members, too competitive. Although I found some new routes I found I was always trying to beat the times shown. This took the edge off "going for a ride". If you are competitive by nature then that's fine but I use riding my bikes for pleasure and fitness.
I mostly use an OS map to look out new rides and sometimes use Google to "cycle rides in xxxx"
Phil

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Tribbtravs

Banned
Oct 13, 2017
Funster No
You can create your own segments as a non subscriber. If you go to the three dots (actions) click on it and at the top of the list is create segments. I do find that I can be a slave to the segments and when you get a few seconds off a KOM I find that I am killing myself to obtain the crown. It is a great feeling getting close but I enjoy my cycling more without it. Although its like a drug and I can't help myself.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Innkeeper
I found using Strava segments, which are created by paying members, too competitive. Although I found some new routes I found I was always trying to beat the times shown. This took the edge off "going for a ride". If you are competitive by nature then that's fine but I use riding my bikes for pleasure and fitness.
I mostly use an OS map to look out new rides and sometimes use Google to "cycle rides in xxxx"
Phil

Would you have been so competitive if you were on a BSO (biked shaped object) rather than a road bike and if you didn't know those on the leader boards?

I don't think that Innkeeper would benefit at the moment but when the lock down relsxes, there may be less time for pleasure rides and the time available may be concentrated on getting fit... I rarely go out for a cycle ride just for pleasure - I want to use each opportunity to get faster, stronger etc. Each to their own though.

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
I have a love-hate relationship with Strava and it's segments.

I have trained all my life and over several periods, kept a basic training log. I find that when I see gaps in the log, I think that I'd better get off my arse and do a little bit! So when introduced to Strava, thought yes, a good way of keeping a log. Another benefit is that I can occasionally look back on some nice rides - Mont Ventoux or Alpe d'Huez and the like.

The downside is that some of my mates get 'locked' into the segments but the problem is, I find that we use the segments differently.
When I cycle on my local MTB rides at Cwmcarn, I normally do so on my own and without stopping (unless I fall off which can be quite often). However, when I do the same rides with mates, they stop at every 'kissing gate' and have a chat for 10 minutes. Having rested, they then blast the next segment! The times can't be comparable.

Another example is that I occasionally include The Tumble in one of my road 40 milers. This is a climb just outside Abergavenny that is regularly included in the Tour of Britain (Milk Race). It's a good tester and my best time is in the early 20s. I'm 63. I have mates who I follow on Strava and the best time is about 14 minutes - he's a good club standard racer. However, another mate has recently posted a time of 13 minutes - brilliant! What he forgot to post was that it's on an electric bike ???

So Strava is great but it should come with a public health warning - it will get competitive!

Terry

Tribbtravs

Banned
Oct 13, 2017
Funster No
That's a good climb although I did it when it was part of the Wales Velothon and I had loads of people coming off in front of me at the start. Most had trials bikes and were trying to do the steep bit in the wrong gear. Did it with the wife in 26 minutes but if it was closer i think it would be one of my regular p̶u̶n̶i̶s̶h̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ / training hills. I prefer short sharp hill sprints and this is how strava got me hooked and improved my fitness massively. I went up a hill near me a few years ago and not really trying that hard I noticed that my time wasn't that far off the KOM a local lad 30 years younger. For the next few weeks I killed myself up that hill to try and beat him. He was 18 seconds and I got down to 20. The KOM is now 15 seconds but that is from Iron man wales on closed roads where you can cut the corners off. This annoyed me no end as before it was more like a local competition hill, so I turned my attention to other short hills in which I could half kill myself. Which reminds me I do love cycling but haven't been out on the bike for a week so must get out in the morning

Nov 19, 2010
Walking the dog
Funster No
MH
Hymer 680 Starline
Exp
since 2012
That's a good climb although I did it when it was part of the Wales Velothon and I had loads of people coming off in front of me at the start. Most had trials bikes and were trying to do the steep bit in the wrong gear. Did it with the wife in 26 minutes but if it was closer i think it would be one of my regular p̶u̶n̶i̶s̶h̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ / training hills. I prefer short sharp hill sprints and this is how strava got me hooked and improved my fitness massively. I went up a hill near me a few years ago and not really trying that hard I noticed that my time wasn't that far off the KOM a local lad 30 years younger. For the next few weeks I killed myself up that hill to try and beat him. He was 18 seconds and I got down to 20. The KOM is now 15 seconds but that is from Iron man wales on closed roads where you can cut the corners off. This annoyed me no end as before it was more like a local competition hill, so I turned my attention to other short hills in which I could half kill myself. Which reminds me I do love cycling but haven't been out on the bike for a week so must get out in the morning

That's exactly what I mean - it gets competitive ?

I have known of people who have had their KOM beaten so have gone out that afternoon or evening to recapture it!

Terry

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
That's exactly what I mean - it gets competitive ?

I have known of people who have had their KOM beaten so have gone out that afternoon or evening to recapture it!

Terry
And the problem is?

Apr 11, 2017
Earby, Lancashire, UK
Funster No
MH
Autocruse Select 144
Exp
started Oct. 2016
Would you have been so competitive if you were on a BSO (biked shaped object) rather than a road bike and if you didn't know those on the leader boards?

I don't think that Innkeeper would benefit at the moment but when the lock down relsxes, there may be less time for pleasure rides and the time available may be concentrated on getting fit... I rarely go out for a cycle ride just for pleasure - I want to use each opportunity to get faster, stronger etc. Each to their own though.
Now then Mattyjwr I'm just the opposite. I get most out of just riding for pleasure.
As you say each to their own, but I wonder if it's to do with having to work and having less time to ride?
Phil

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Are you saying that you've had a KOM beaten and then gone out that day to reclaim it?

Now that is committed ??

Terry

Moi? TBF, I am only KOM of a couple of segments - they are ones that I created as 10 and 15 mile circuits which others don't seem to do :)

However, I've heard the whippersnapper asking about them recently .... if he takes them off me, I'll never get them back.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
I use segments to measure myself against myself and i find that very useful. Nearly all segments (here at least) are climbs (it's pointless and perhaps dangerous on descents...) a few flats or drags but not many. Setting segment PR's is a nice result and can be very motivating and linking together several PR's = a great ride and you'll know it even as you're doing it.

Here i don't even look up the segment board as there's way too many descent riders around here, most KOM's are gone to Pro Riders that live in the area or that pass through (Tour de Suisse, Tour de Romandie, Tour de France)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I agree; I primarily use them to compare my performance over time. I know that I have dropped in speed and stamina over the least 6 months - not enough rides and too much to eat and drink. That has slowed me down and I really noticed it over the last month. However, I've cut back on the calories and exercised more ... I am getting back to a reasonable level and hope to get to my peak earlier this summer compared to previous years.

P.s My peak is what I aim to achieve and is far slower than others but faster than a few and, significantly, faster than my non-peak levels. I do use segments to beat myself, not others although it is useful to compare against riders I know.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back