Starlink ordered… I feel it’s the only sensible option now.. (2 Viewers)

Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
It's not when they raise the invoice that counts, it's the billing date that is the important one, as others have said you will have service up to your next billing date as long as you have paused the service before said date.

My billing date was the 11th of the month and when I last used this, and I activated it on the 13th of the month then paused it the following day but still had service till the 10th of the following month.

poacher

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2008
Funster No
My understanding is that I will be billed to next billing date and therefore have use until then

Question asked of 'support' before posting - reply awaited - will post Starlink's response

As promised, Starlink's response . . .

Hello *******,
Thank you for contacting Starlink Support! I appreciate the opportunity to assist you.
I have reviewed your account and see that you resumed service on May 20th and the payment processed was for Mobile - Regional Subscription (5/20/2024, 9:03 AM - 6/15/2024, 5:00 PM). If you intend to pause service starting with your next billing cycle, I recommend selecting to pause 3-5 days before your next monthly service invoice is generated on June 16th.

Should you have any other questions or concerns, we are here to support you.

It is my understanding, from something I read early in my Starlink service, that the invoice for my next billing cycle (starting on the 16th June) is actually generated circa 7 days before -
not wanting to get 'caught out' for another £85 monthly bill, I have this morning 'paused' my service again (as I will be back in 'civilisation' by then and alternate options for which I am already paying will be available)

To conclude ....
Starlink was purchased "to get me out of a hole" when other, already paid for, broadband speed options were not available - it has done this very well - the pro-rata 'roam' monthly cost for continued connectivity is more than justified, when necessary - a happy customer (at the minute :LOL: :LOL: )

Last edited:

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Update on my project, ready to Sikka it all together now, just waiting for a peace of acrylic to cover the bottom of the Starlink l. I have masked off the board as best I can to reduce the amount of Sikka that might spread - though from what I've seen it wouldn't do any harm if it did 'overspill' onto any components.

There is an aluminium L piece at each end, bolted onto the frame, with sucky pads on. This gives me the option of moving the dish to different locations depending on trees/obstructions etc. I assume I will eventually redesign my other starlink and fit it permanently on the roof ....

IMG_20240521_155207.jpg

IMG_20240521_155302.jpg

It will prob be Thursday before the acrylic arrives, so on with other projects ...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
and for those nervous about cutting their cables

think they were designed for passing through obstructions rather than drilling a hole for the original starlink connector, but they might be able to be repurposed .....?

there are cheaper options if you search the internet .....

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
and for those nervous about cutting their cables

think they were designed for passing through obstructions rather than drilling a hole for the original starlink connector, but they might be able to be repurposed .....?

there are cheaper options if you search the internet .....

Amazon one looks better tbh.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Carpmart
zac
fred_jb

Looking for feedback please off the techy guys ....... i want to finalise my plan before sealing everything up watertight

I have paused my Frankenstarlinkstein ...... several thoughts keep popping into my mind ....
I planned on using two cables to Frank, one for 12v power and one for the data (ethernet shielded cable)

but i know that Dishy only has one cable, which provides Power Over Intenet and anyone hacking to 12v usually uses a POE injector. Frank (design courtesy of Oleg) uses a non standard router but needs a 12v supply BUT the power supply needs to take a different route once inside and it can only be a maximum of 14v. I have currently followed internet sourced hacks which use two cables BUT i would like to use just one.
if i revert back to the old standards of ethernet cable wiring, it would be pretty simple, but would only give me 100mb per second, which is obviously nowhere near enough, so POE is the logical solution.

My latest thought is then, to use a 12v POE alongside the router, then when the cable enters the enclosure use a POE splitter to separate the 12v power from the data - with the power then going to the new soldered connection and the data to the existing connection.

This means I only need one cable to feed Frank and not two as i planned or wouldnt it work? i know it entails more components but if i can get away with just one cable then its worth it to me.

If my idea is sound can you recommend any POE injectors and splitters - on the splitter it would be nice to have it bare wired so i can just use the soldered connections i have already made to the board.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Carpmart
zac
fred_jb

Looking for feedback please off the techy guys ....... i want to finalise my plan before sealing everything up watertight

I have paused my Frankenstarlinkstein ...... several thoughts keep popping into my mind ....
I planned on using two cables to Frank, one for 12v power and one for the data (ethernet shielded cable)

but i know that Dishy only has one cable, which provides Power Over Intenet and anyone hacking to 12v usually uses a POE injector. Frank (design courtesy of Oleg) uses a non standard router but needs a 12v supply BUT the power supply needs to take a different route once inside and it can only be a maximum of 14v. I have currently followed internet sourced hacks which use two cables BUT i would like to use just one.
if i revert back to the old standards of ethernet cable wiring, it would be pretty simple, but would only give me 100mb per second, which is obviously nowhere near enough, so POE is the logical solution.

My latest thought is then, to use a 12v POE alongside the router, then when the cable enters the enclosure use a POE splitter to separate the 12v power from the data - with the power then going to the new soldered connection and the data to the existing connection.

This means I only need one cable to feed Frank and not two as i planned or wouldnt it work? i know it entails more components but if i can get away with just one cable then its worth it to me.

If my idea is sound can you recommend any POE injectors and splitters - on the splitter it would be nice to have it bare wired so i can just use the soldered connections i have already made to the board.

It might surprise you, but I’m actually not a technical person at all LOL.

So, I have a question back? Could you not fasten the two cables together effectively making one cable?

I’ve been following your work with much interest. Look forward to hearing what you end up doing.

Best of luck! ✔️

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
It might surprise you, but I’m actually not a technical person at all LOL.

So, I have a question back? Could you not fasten the two cables together effectively making one cable?

I’ve been following your work with much interest. Look forward to hearing what you end up doing.

Best of luck! ✔️
Yes I could just fasten them together, but then I still have additional connections to make. I know it's not a climate change threatening option, but I am just trying to keep the plugging in and out as simple as I can. One simple connection would appear to me to be the best option.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
More thoughts ..... after more reading and research

The 'old standard' where only four wires in an ethernet connection were used for data and the others for power could deliver up to 100mbs per second. In reality, is that really that bad? Just done a test in my phone and using BT I get 130mbs and just phone data 60mbs, so 100mbs isn't an issue ..... it's not as though I would be gaming etc, it's purely for web browsing, phone calls and TV - so I might be able to get a single cable feed after all?
Need to do some more research tomorrow.... to check I've read it all correctly of course !
Of course if anyone has technical knowledge and can point me on the right path, that would be much appreciated...

Is one of the links I got my info from.

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
MisterB - forgive me if you previously explained, but what is your aversion to using two cables and two connectors?

I ask as IMHO, I’d take the compromise on the two cables way before I’d want to give up the speed… 👍🏻

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
MisterB - forgive me if you previously explained, but what is your aversion to using two cables and two connectors?

I ask as IMHO, I’d take the compromise on the two cables way before I’d want to give up the speed… 👍🏻
its just a me thing ! the more i think about it, the more convinced i am that will eventually permanantly flat mount it, so it wont really make much difference, one wire or two !

i am the sort of person that as soon as he has done something, he wants to change what he has done because he 'thinks' it would be better ..... i was just thinking that up to 100mbs isnt that bad compared to other internet connections for 'general' use ....

the jury is still out on the matter ... LOL, looks like i might not seal it all together so i can play around with it to test

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
Starlink update to billing

To improve clarity around your monthly bill, starting 1 month from today, your automatic payment date will be moved to the first day of your billing cycle, rather than 7 days into your billing cycle. We will also release a new way for you to preview your next monthly service invoice from your account at any time instead of receiving an emailed invoice each month. The invoice preview will update each day of the month and will reflect all charges due as of that day, including any overage data usage from your current cycle or recent changes to your service plan, if applicable.

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Starlink update to billing

To improve clarity around your monthly bill, starting 1 month from today, your automatic payment date will be moved to the first day of your billing cycle, rather than 7 days into your billing cycle. We will also release a new way for you to preview your next monthly service invoice from your account at any time instead of receiving an emailed invoice each month. The invoice preview will update each day of the month and will reflect all charges due as of that day, including any overage data usage from your current cycle or recent changes to your service plan, if applicable.

Helps with their cash flow I guess! Well for a month anyway… 😉🤣

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Evening all…

I’ve been in Europe - France, Spain, Portugal, Spain, France over the last nine months. I’ve lost track of how many parkups, sites, aires, roadsides we have stopped at now! As I’m parking, I’m checking the compass for obstructions facing North, the direction I needed for the last year plus, but recently this has now moved to a more NW direction.

I’m assuming Elons extra satellites has meant the dish is optimised in a NW position rather than the N position before.

Anyone else noticed the change?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
I think there was a YouTube video last year re optimizing the signal by adjusting where it looked for the signal. In a city it appeared that if you set it away from the city then it got a better signal due to the number of users (at least that's how I read it)

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
I think there was a YouTube video last year re optimizing the signal by adjusting where it looked for the signal. In a city it appeared that if you set it away from the city then it got a better signal due to the number of users (at least that's how I read it)

How do you do that? The dish decides itself where it is pointing?

Tombola

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 21, 2020
Merseyside
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8094DF
Exp
Since 2004
2 of mine on statics at north wales defo point slight off horizontal toward south/south west ?

is this northern thing just from more southern Europe

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
PS: In case you didn't know what I was on about. Click on a couple of the satellites over the UK. you will see the orbits. Then you can imagine you want the satellite to be in view for as long as possible. So the dishy probably wants to align with the longest axis were the most satellites will be in view if that makes sense?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
RESULT - i have found the connector that fits to the starlink board that provides power and data, they are ZPDR-10V-S ..........

i have to order ten though to get them here before i go away !

Last edited:
Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
More thoughts ..... after more reading and research

The 'old standard' where only four wires in an ethernet connection were used for data and the others for power could deliver up to 100mbs per second. In reality, is that really that bad? Just done a test in my phone and using BT I get 130mbs and just phone data 60mbs, so 100mbs isn't an issue ..... it's not as though I would be gaming etc, it's purely for web browsing, phone calls and TV - so I might be able to get a single cable feed after all?
Need to do some more research tomorrow.... to check I've read it all correctly of course !
Of course if anyone has technical knowledge and can point me on the right path, that would be much appreciated...

Is one of the links I got my info from.
Power over internet POE puts the power on the same lines as the data. It does not impact the speed of the data at all, so all things being equal you can use POE without impacting the speed of data.

This is because the data on each pair of wires in an Ethernet cable are transmitted as a difference signal between the two wires of the pair. Without POE this difference is around about 0v and with POE the difference is around whatever voltage the POE injector adds. It results in the same difference voltage so data is unaffected.

Hope I explained this well enough! Good luck with your hacking!

OP
OP
Carpmart
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
Okay, I can assure those that travel with a Gen2 Dishy in Southern Europe, the dish has been pointing N in southern Portugal and Spain for eight months and NW for the last month for me as I’ve moved further north. It articulates and orientates itself, I haven’t any control over this.

I appreciate in the UK it way orientate differently. 👍🏻

Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
This might help you understand why it points south/south west.
With Starlink your link is dependant on two issues: 1) can your terminal see a satellite and 2) can the satellite get to an earth based down station.

When Starlink add down stations they will often steer their customers to use satellites “closer” to the down station. This is probably why your dish has moved. If there is a new ground station on line then you are getting moved so as to use satellites that can use it.

One of the other main issues for Starlink is that they have to be careful not to interfere with existing satellite services which all tend to be in geostationary orbits and so satellites have to stop transmitting to down stations when they run the risk of interfering.

So you may see all those satellites on a globe and assume you will be able to use any that are in sight but it is not like that only some will be available for you at a particular location on the earth and the position of a suitable ground station is also very important as to which you can use.

There is a plan to add higher level satellites using optical links (which won’t interfere with existing geostationary satellites) this will improve the situation and allow each satellite more access to ground stations as there will be a backbone above them to give new ways to get to a ground stations without interfering.

It’s all described in the FCC filing made by SpaceX a quick search will get you a lot more details!

Happy satellite hunting!

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
With Starlink your link is dependant on two issues: 1) can your terminal see a satellite and 2) can the satellite get to an earth based down station.

When Starlink add down stations they will often steer their customers to use satellites “closer” to the down station. This is probably why your dish has moved. If there is a new ground station on line then you are getting moved so as to use satellites that can use it.

One of the other main issues for Starlink is that they have to be careful not to interfere with existing satellite services which all tend to be in geostationary orbits and so satellites have to stop transmitting to down stations when they run the risk of interfering.

So you may see all those satellites on a globe and assume you will be able to use any that are in sight but it is not like that only some will be available for you at a particular location on the earth and the position of a suitable ground station is also very important as to which you can use.

There is a plan to add higher level satellites using optical links (which won’t interfere with existing geostationary satellites) this will improve the situation and allow each satellite more access to ground stations as there will be a backbone above them to give new ways to get to a ground stations without interfering.

It’s all described in the FCC filing made by SpaceX a quick search will get you a lot more details!

Happy satellite hunting!
I was simply pointing out why in the UK we point our dishes south and west.

Jul 24, 2023
Funster No
MH
RPMOTORHOMES Rebel
Exp
New to van life
Yes the globe is a nice display, it shows the ground stations as red dots. It’s however not really going to help predict where your antenna is going to point as there is a lot more involved than just seeing a satellite - the position of ground stations and the way Starlink decides which satellites you can use are out of your hands and does change over time. This will explain why even if you don’t move positions the antenna pointing might suddenly change.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back