Affiliate links here may earn MHF compensation
Jul 16, 2020
Glenrothes
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express
Exp
since 2018
I bought a new Starlink a few months ago to help me in my small business.
I run a small craft business and use a sum up machine for taking payments at events such as highland games, county shows etc. The signal in some locations is dire without the event taking place and non existent with several thousand people wanting to use social media etc and lots of traders trying to take payment at the same time. Occasionally an event organiser will have a wifi network up and running but these are pretty dire in most cases.
The scenario needing a solution!
At most events I can park my motorhome behind my gazebo with a bit of space for the Starlink to be set out. Sometimes there is no room for the motorhome and I have to leave it in the car park.
I spoke to a trader yesterday who was using Starlink for payment and he bought a big Anker Solix Power bank and left the Starlink on 240V. He gets about 18 hours use out of it and at a 4 day show can scrounge a 240v socket to charge it up. I like this idea as it only takes about 1 hour to charge it up to 80% but if its on overnight then it will be back up to 100%.
The difference between taking card payments for payment or cash can be several hundred pounds per day as generally there isnt a nearby cash machine and if there is then it soon runs out of money. Most folk these days carry little cash and they want to keep it for refreshments if they know they cant get more money anywhere.
I could possibly subsidise my costs by letting a few nearby traders access to the network as well.
Would it be better perhaps for duration of usability to convert it to a 12v Starlink or leave it on 240v if it makes no difference.
Are there better power banks out there apart from Anker? I am familiar with them as I have 4 smaller power banks for charging my phones, ipad and led stand lights when I am out and about at events.
I did read the big long thread but it got a bit long winded and technical for me and thats the reason for this thread.
Any thoughts or advice will be most welcome.

Thank you in advance.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
You could convert Starlink to 12V for better efficiency, but if the difference is minimal, sticking with 240V is fine. Brands like Goal Zero, EcoFlow, and Jackery also offer good power banks if you want alternatives.
I have saved about 45% power usage converting to 12Volts. In my mind that makes it a very worthwhile project.

Upvote 0
Apr 14, 2023
Funster No
MH
Bailey
I have saved about 45% power usage converting to 12Volts. In my mind that makes it a very worthwhile project.
Does this saving include the flat mounting, as that usually does away with the motors driving the dish?

I was looking at doing this and the only issue I can realistically see is the odd drop off as it switches satellite as it can no longer track a single one. Is that what you see with yours?

Upvote 0

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
Does this saving include the flat mounting, as that usually does away with the motors driving the dish?

I was looking at doing this and the only issue I can realistically see is the odd drop off as it switches satellite as it can no longer track a single one. Is that what you see with yours?
Yes, I have mine flat mounted.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
A
Jul 16, 2020
Glenrothes
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express
Exp
since 2018
That was the next question I was going to ask. What is the best way to convert it to 12v then please. I know its on the mega thread but it will take me about 3 days to go through it all

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
I don't think there is a 'best way' as there are a few ... It all depends on what your skill levels are, the more competent you are with jointing cables, fitting your starlink where you want it so that it operates in the way you want it to, the more options you have.
Tedious as it might seem, I would read through the thread, or get onto YouTube and browse on there.
I converted my router a long time ago and did various mods, but Im still not satisfied, so imm getting rid of the 48v supply and making everything 12v and adding a different router ...
Not sure how successful it will be but I'm hoping it will be my final change !

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Mid Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RS Endeavour
Exp
Just a tad..
That was the next question I was going to ask. What is the best way to convert it to 12v then please. I know its on the mega thread but it will take me about 3 days to go through it all

User error! šŸ¤Ŗ

You can use the search facility for an individual threadā€¦ āœ”ļø

My view is it is much better keeping it all in one thread as itā€™s then easy to (you guessed it) search! šŸ˜‰

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back