Squeaky (& moving!) OmniStep - can it be fixed? (2 Viewers)

MH04RMV

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 24, 2021
Funster No
MH
Cheyenne 632 SE
Hello Everyone,
The OmniStep on my MoHo has started squeaking, and "dropping" slightly on one side (when using it) - RHS when looking at the Hab door from outside - not sure how clear the video will be, but hopefully you'll get the gist.

It seems to be fixed securely to the flooring material, and it's the section of flooring that is moving/squeaking 😱
This fixing bolt, of course, is behind the plastic internal step/underneath the internal heater cupboard, so can't be "got at".

Any ideas how this might be resolved?
I've thought about perhaps screwing in a 90° bracket under the moving floor section, but I'm not confident that there's anything substantial to screw it into, to take the weight of the step when in use...

The fibreglass that can be seen is the internal step molding.

As always, appreciate any suggestions...

Cheers,

Rich.

Nov 3, 2020
Up the Hamble
Funster No
MH
Ace Siena
Exp
Since 2019
Hello Everyone,
The OmniStep on my MoHo has started squeaking, and "dropping" slightly on one side (when using it) - RHS when looking at the Hab door from outside - not sure how clear the video will be, but hopefully you'll get the gist.

It seems to be fixed securely to the flooring material, and it's the section of flooring that is moving/squeaking 😱
This fixing bolt, of course, is behind the plastic internal step/underneath the internal heater cupboard, so can't be "got at".

Any ideas how this might be resolved?
I've thought about perhaps screwing in a 90° bracket under the moving floor section, but I'm not confident that there's anything substantial to screw it into, to take the weight of the step when in use...

The fibreglass that can be seen is the internal step molding.

As always, appreciate any suggestions...

Cheers,

Rich.

View attachment 757030
Not sure that this will help but we had the movement (without the squeak) on our Ace Siena Fiat Ducato chassis. Turned out that the floor was damp in one corner and gone a bit soft. Solved with a metal plate between the floor and the rail that the floor sits on plus lots of work on the floor itself cutting out the damp stuff, applying wood hardener, gluing in new bits of wood etc.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MH04RMV

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 24, 2021
Funster No
MH
Cheyenne 632 SE
Thanks TDub49 - sounded like a fairly major piece of work...
The problem I have (I think) is that whatever the step is fixed to (& I'm only presuming its flooring, but saying that, the actual MoHo floor doesn't move/sag in that spot as it's a good 5" above the OmniStep level), doesn't appear to sit on any supporting rail.

I'm thinking perhaps something like a caravan jockey wheel (but much thinner/reduced) that could be "unfolded" & locked at correct height from under the dodgy step corner to take the weight while being used...or maybe just take a brick and wedge in place?! 🙂

Cheers,

Rich.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
A common problem with them dropping on one side is the metal bracket that holds them in place splitting along the R/A bend at the top.

For the squeaking try spraying all the moving parts & joints with a PTFE spray. Whatever you do don't use WD40 that will bugger it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MH04RMV

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 24, 2021
Funster No
MH
Cheyenne 632 SE
Have you had a good check for damp ? That nut and bolt are rusty .
Hi Swifter ,
They're external fixings, so will be getting rain/road spray etc. on them.
The carpet above/around the step area or inside the heater cupboard isn't showing and signs of being damp, so I don't think that's a problem in this instance.

Hi Lenny HB ,
I'll have another look, but I think all the brackets/metalwork and associated fixings are good.
It's not the actual step/step workings that are squeaking, but the bit of "flooring" it's fixed to (I think as it moves against the fibreglass outer of the step) - I'll try some lithium white grease spray, as that'll be thicker than the silicone oil spray I've got...

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Mine gave way been fixed now but some quotes were scarey where are you

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
- I'll try some lithium white grease spray, as that'll be thicker than the silicone oil spray I've got...
That is another thing you shouldn't use on any plastic parts it will make them bind.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
M

MH04RMV

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 24, 2021
Funster No
MH
Cheyenne 632 SE
Hi Everyone,
Had a slight brainwave whilst looking for an extendable leg to use for supporting the step...see pic.

Not pretty, but it works, is adjustable to cope with varying ground height, and was something I carried in the MoHo anyway...

Cheers,

Rich.

20230530_140755.jpg

Upvote 0

Nanniemate

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 1, 2019
Wales
Funster No
MH
IH
Exp
Still dropping clangers and making it up as I go along
Hi Everyone,
Had a slight brainwave whilst looking for an extendable leg to use for supporting the step...see pic.

Not pretty, but it works, is adjustable to cope with varying ground height, and was something I carried in the MoHo anyway...

Cheers,

Rich.

View attachment 764247
What is it ?

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread