SQUARE PEG IN A ROUND HOLE ... nah! (1 Viewer)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
So sorry to hear about your mishap. Don't let it spoil your motor homing fun.
One of our favourite stops in northern France is at La Mailleraye-sur-Seine.
Why? One very good reason is that you bypass Rouen to get there.
I had heard about the infamous underpasses well before we went that way so found a way of not going via Rouen and La Mailleraye offered an alternative route. We go that way almost every time we head south or back north.

Richard.

OP
OP
Madeinengland
Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Sorry to hear about your unfortunate incident. Your insurance company will require you to inform them within a 'reasonable time' - what constitutes this phrase depends on the policy wording and as you probably don't have the document with you it might be advisable to tell them sooner rather than later.

One point to bear in mind, they will expect you to take steps to prevent further damage so you need to protect it as best you can. Don't give them an opportunity to exclude part of the repair because 'further damage was caused by failure to protect the original damage'. I would suggest a chat with their claims department, I am sure they will try and assist if you approach them sensibly.

Thanks that's excellent advice.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
Haha! Not too many behind to begin with!
Finally we are stopped at a beautiful site with a river view, glass in hand... Heaven.

The view will be heavenly tonight..... You'll be looking at the stars through the holes....:Eeek:

Sorry couldn't resist it....

I really feel for you and i would be gutted...:cry::cry:

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Oh I've always been a leader Ian lol.
The skylight is smashed to pieces, the rest quite badly damaged - I can see a bit of light from inside. So we're driving round with a bit of fake grass ( I know, I know) and a hi viz jacket ratchet strapped to the top of roof light. You can see us coming for miles :):)

Don't forget to water the grass,I need a pic!!!

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
If it's any consolation, 3 weeks ago my hubby tore off one of our roof bars and buckled the bracket/guttering parking onto pitch and getting stuck under a tree.... and he had someone guiding him in and shouting STOP, waving arms etc.... that was me !!!!! We had a full blown domestic to the amusement of the many dutch watching from their chairs. The women were raising their eyes as if to say, 'they're all like it, knobs the lot of 'em', the men giving hubby pitying looks and a 'I feel your pain' nod. Hope you manage with it, at least you're all safe :)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Feel for you, hope its sorted out without too much inconvenience or expense.
Yes, inform Ins Co asap

Aug 14, 2013
Département 87
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since about year 2000
The view will be heavenly tonight..... You'll be looking at the stars through the holes....:Eeek:
[/QUOTE

. . . . and if you look out at the right time you could see the ISS go over, Tonight it should pass over three times, but the best view may be around 05.49, towards the north.

J

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
It was in Roen. We not long come through a long tunnel.
Someone may know if I've got the right place??

Hi.
Had you read my post about the one stuck in the picture and my comments about the black lines i painted before taking evasive action in Rouen,might i suggest you visit "Spec-savers SOON?"
As not only did you not see the black lines,you did not see the BRIDGE...LOL. Hands up,i don't think i would have posted if i had hit the bridge,so,fair play to you,at least,next time,you will know what the noise is....... LOL
Clean M&S's?,is the seat repairable,where your bottom bit chunks out of it?. Did the "SLOW ? cooker dump its contents all over you ?........... An accident you can walk away from and have a laugh,is the best one to have.
Tea Bag

Nov 5, 2013
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago chic e-line
Exp
Since 2013

Sorry couldn't resist it....

I really feel for you and i would be gutted...:cry::cry:

that's why it's called an Autocruise Stargazer (y)

I admire you owning up and posting on here many wouldn't !

Nov 25, 2013
kent
Funster No
MH
Swift Kontiki 669
Exp
Since April 2013
You have my total sympathy, for many of us have been there before, in my early days of Car transporting I took the roof off a Metro in a low bridge in Newcastle , BUT , I very quickly bought a height pole , an adjustable measuring pole to measure the load heights. and yes I have checked my MH .In Europe especially France bridges are much lower that the UK , and Supermarket Fuel Canopies are no exception.
Most are marked but not all.
Good luck with the repair.

May 17, 2016
Aberdeenshire
Funster No
MH
B524
Exp
2nd base
Sorry to hear that. If it makes you feel any better, the other day at work I had one to many apples and mid-afternoon I thought I had passed wind but very quickly realised I had fully followed through. Funny walk to the toilet and a 20 minute clean up involving stashing my dirty boxers in the burning bin I was all set to go back to work.

Nobody realised. Which was nice.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Sorry to hear that. If it makes you feel any better, the other day at work I had one to many apples and mid-afternoon I thought I had passed wind but very quickly realised I had fully followed through. Funny walk to the toilet and a 20 minute clean up involving stashing my dirty boxers in the burning bin I was all set to go back to work.

:eek:o_O

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
You have my total sympathy, for many of us have been there before, in my early days of Car transporting I took the roof off a Metro in a low bridge in Newcastle , BUT , I very quickly bought a height pole , an adjustable measuring pole to measure the load heights. and yes I have checked my MH .In Europe especially France bridges are much lower that the UK , and Supermarket Fuel Canopies are no exception.
Most are marked but not all.
Good luck with the repair.

Hi martin. Car Transporter Men? LOL
Once upon a time.... The A40 main road used to run through Monmouth,coming out of Newport,as you entered Monmouth north bound,there were traffic lights and a 90deg right turn,as the front car of the top deck stuck out a bit,this used to regularly clean all the pots/plants,rails etc off the balcony of the second floor dwelling.......
I was told by a transporter driver,that you were NOT a proper driver on that job, until you had smashed 6 Pots,it was a highlight of a jouney down or back to see how you were all progressing, me,tippers/tankers ? No problem LOL.
Tea Bag

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994

TMI

jumartoo

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 19, 2015
Alhama de Murcia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Hymer Tramp
Exp
Since 1994
I don't think there are many of us that haven't had bad moments with our motorhomes. We once got stuck in a narrow Spanish village street and had to climb out of the roof light to look at the situation as we couldn't open the doors wide enough to get out.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
If it's any help, places like M. Bricolage usually sell quite wide plastic sheeting of varying thicknesses displayed on rolls, by the metre. They also sell duct tape ........

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Morning @Madeinengland
Hope you had some sleep and it wasn't rainy . Happy travels whatever you decide to do and hope it hasn't put you off Motorhoming , I blame the navigator of course !!
Take care.:) If it's sunny you have built in air on now for a while!

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We nearly did exactly the same in our old van about 6 years ago.

We smashed into the height barrier warning, got out, assessed the height of our motorhome, the line of pissed off drivers behind us, the height of the tunnel and just went for it.

We must have made it by an inch or two.

The height barrier smashed our front roof window but we repaired it with a bit of gaffer tape.

We were very lucky.

Hope you get everything sorted(y)

OP
OP
Madeinengland
Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Morning @Madeinengland
Hope you had some sleep and it wasn't rainy . Happy travels whatever you decide to do and hope it hasn't put you off Motorhoming , I blame the navigator of course !!
Take care.:) If it's sunny you have built in air on now for a while!

Ha ha!
Didn't like to say about blaming the navigator Anthea, but he was telling me where to go, and he did shout 'stop'.......just not quick enough. :LOL:

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Trouble in roune in our case the bloody sat nav sends you that way, and when you are following that and all the other signs , the height one gets over looked as you aren't expecting something like that on a big wide road .

OP
OP
Madeinengland
Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
That's it exactly chaser. It was what felt like in the middle of the city, loads of traffic, a busy, busy time of day and a bit hectic to say the least!

scousebird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 18, 2012
South East Kent
Funster No
MH
Bailey
Exp
March 2012
We've been through Rouen many, many times but I can't picture this tunnel you're all on about.

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp

That's an accident we DON'T want pictures of!

OP
OP
Madeinengland
Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
We'd not long driven through a fairly long tunnel, then about 2 miles after that it was a low bridge? Down a slip road where it got me. I've only got, which we now realise is a terrible map. Just off for a wander around and may be able to pick up a decent one of France rather than Europe that might actually include road numbers. :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back