Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
spelling and grammer.. i am one of the ones who does not use proper grammer ,sometimes my spelling is wrong. i do sometimes read it before posting and try to correct spelling. i tap on this board with one finger and its slow. i cant type . i speak alot ,if you know me you probably will agree. i left school at 15 have worked in several types of jobs. i have picked up several badly spoken languages,i can normaly comunicate with most people. have been known to use and listen to about5 languages in one sentance. does it matter? if all get the message its ok. i do hope we will not start correcting the dialects used in this country alone .imagine if we did. can you understand a geordie?or some one from deep in cornwall,or a scouse ,cockney?be a hard life if we tried to correct them. or me. i did find the spell checker yesterday but will not be using it ,it wouldnt be me then but a machine. if you cant dont like my style then never mind ,i,m sure i shant miss you. cheers alan.:ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
dont know what enter button does never pressed it.never use that part of key board. ha ha i mean it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
dont know what enter button does never pressed it.never use that part of key board. ha ha i mean it.

It's called ENTER or CARRIAGE RETURN.

There I've pressed it twice to space the message out to make it easier to read.

It's the great BIG key on the right of the main keyboard, mine goes:

ASDFGHJKL;'# then ENTER.

I can't read a message when it's all in one big lump, my eyes skip lines after a while so I curse people who type their life story without ever pressing ENTER.

I've trained many people who did just use one finger and just getting them to make that one finger on each hand, use one finger for each half of the keyboard and it makes a big difference.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i take it my key board is different to yours but will try harder in future .

i have worked that out now .i wondered how you get the line spacing .

i,m wrong i thought you meant the key on the very right saying enter, i have just been told

you mean the one with the funny arrow. never knew that. I admit to being computer illiterate.

got the lines wrong again. will try and practice more.Have fun ,i do cheers alan.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
i take it my key board is different to yours but will try harder in future .

i have worked that out now .i wondered how you get the line spacing .

i,m wrong i thought you meant the key on the very right saying enter, i have just been told

you mean the one with the funny arrow. never knew that. I admit to being computer illiterate.

got the lines wrong again. will try and practice more.Have fun ,i do cheers alan.

Brilliant ! That is so readable. Olde Fartes like us lot weren't born to keyboards, and the layout is plain stupid now, but we can all get there. There is an old story that the guy who invented the typewriter got made it so slow that he scrambled the letters to slow down typists to give the hammers time to get back down.

If you go into internet cafes abroad it gets really difficult, I had to get the young bloke in Morocco to help me find the right keys, I'll bet he was thinking in best Moroccan "Olde Farte he's too old to use a computer".

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007

Picture says it all, does he not look the perfect prat complete with badges. The type of person you'd see in the distance in the street and immediately do a U turn before he bored you to death, again, about the flugel beetle nibbling his prize winning roses. The type of person that campaigns for strict speed control through HIS village and the one who get the first speeding ticket.

Not only that he is illegally vandalising council property.

Detourer

Trader - Tour Operator
Jul 30, 2007
Spain and Morocco
Funster No
MH
4x4 OverLander
Exp
20+ years
No Hilldweller......

As I remember it he was probably thinking "The old Farte is too pizzed to use the computer" :ROFLMAO:

Ray

invisybubble

Free Member
Jun 19, 2008
Funster No
Picture says it all, does he not look the perfect prat complete with badges. The type of person you'd see in the distance in the street and immediately do a U turn before he bored you to death, again, about the flugel beetle nibbling his prize winning roses. The type of person that campaigns for strict speed control through HIS village and the one who get the first speeding ticket.

Not only that he is illegally vandalising council property.

Just looks like another 'old farte' with a dubious point to prove. Unfortunately/fortunately (delete as appropriate) there are many of the same ilk around.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
No Hilldweller......

As I remember it he was probably thinking "The old Farte is too pizzed to use the computer" :ROFLMAO:

Ray

You swine, you'd promised you'd never mention that and I said that what went on between you and that goat in the sand dunes was between you, the goat, the goatherd and his two assistants, one holding the goat and one holding you. We had a gentleman's agreement.

Detourer

Trader - Tour Operator
Jul 30, 2007
Spain and Morocco
Funster No
MH
4x4 OverLander
Exp
20+ years
You must be getting old Brian.................17 mins to come back with a good one, but much slower than when we shared that goat currie, after we had........Shhhhhhhhh :winky:

Ray

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Sorry Jim it will not work, as you have seen the persistent offenders don't even know when they are doing it or the hurt they are causing. Others even think it funny to get banned. Even if they did realise I doubt they would be ashamed of themselves. I was well educated could once spell but age has changed that so really have no axe to grind either way. But I do see the harm caused to others hence my original rant. I have no intention of naming names they know who they are.

Detourer

Trader - Tour Operator
Jul 30, 2007
Spain and Morocco
Funster No
MH
4x4 OverLander
Exp
20+ years

Oh but it is so sweet to see the grammar/spelling police get caught out themselves, or the others who judge……:ROFLMAO:

Don't you look at me so smug
And say I'm going bad.
Who are you to judge me
And the life that I live?
I know that I'm not perfect
And that I don't claim to be.
So before you point your fingers,
Be sure your hands are clean.

Judge not
Before you judge yourself.
Judge not
If you're not ready for judgment.

The road of life is rocking
And you may stumble too.
So while you talk about me,
someone else is judging you.

Bob Marley

Drylander

Free Member
Aug 28, 2008
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
5 Years
Funsters All,

Never forget the FUN (deep joy) that can be had from the use & misuse of our mangled Ingrish languewold:

Anyboldy remember Stanley Unwin?

i.e <<Goldyloppers and the Three Bearloaders

Now, once a-polly tito. You may think that doesn't sound quite right. But believe me, once a-polly tito it is, and in this case it was Goldyloppers.

Goldyloppers trittly-how in the early mordy, and she falolloped down the steps. Oh unfortunade for cracking of the eggers and the sheebs and the buttery full-falollop and graze the knee-clappers. So she had a vaselubrious, rub it on and a quick healy huff and that was that. So off she went, and she went trittly-how down the garbage path, and at the left right-hand-side goal she passed a [sniff] poo-pom, it was hillows a humus heapy in the garbage! But never mind. Erm... she lost her wail.

Now this is a sadness, dear childers, because in the slight misty haze which all forry, let me tell you, in the ephemeral forry there's always a fairy control where the misty risey huff there, and so she was completely lost it. Oh folly, folly.

There was a cotty; so she went up, all ready with the basket and picked up the butter and all that with a little bit of birch she scrape it off and rub it and down her clothesee. Mum would be cross but... never mind. Clop clop on the door. This little cotty had a jar on the door, so she went in. Nobody there. Three baseload of porry on the tabloid, all slightly steamy huff, and nobody at. She called out: [as though down a cardboard tube] "Anyone home?" Nobody. Folly, folly, and a little hunger was with her, so she falolloped a taste out of the first basel.

This was the large baseload and too oversalty for the flabe p't't't spitty-how. Oh dear! Now the middload was a middle flabe which was not too oversalt and a sugar flabe on her saliva glam and it wasn't course quite satisfactual; so she did a tasty most in the little baseload there, and it was a joy. And oh [gulp] (pardlo!) as she stuffled it down! Oho dear! Now this was great, but there was also a little tiredness in the Goldyloppers and she sat on a three-lebber stool and -- tock falolloper! -- all the lebbers floating across the corm, sat on her bocus there, bruisey most.

Well, still there was no one around, so she went brrrrrr tock up the stairloaders. And she found a large bedding, not a caypack that eiderdown but stuffled with feathers, but here and there a stalk, as you know is a big feathersy eaglode and it stuckening in her back; and it was most uncomfortipold. So she saw the cotty, and in this cot she did lay down: [snore, zzzzz] deep sleevers under the eiderdobe.

Well, while she was this thus sleepy and a deep dream of peaks, then up came the bears into the cotty. Now the fatherbold bear looking around and say: "Who's been tasting and suffling my porry? Ho ho, dear!" And then the mother bear look it in her baseload of porry and said: [tube voice again] "Who been tasting my porry? Oohhhh, a bedder pinger!" So the small bear came and said: "Who touches my baseload and falolloping all down, mum! Huh-ha-ho dear, look it and empty and not scratching on the bottom!"

And there was a general consternail uproar and complaint about the three-lebbed stool bear, all the bits and floaty, and so they had a looking it around the houseloader.

[Brrrrrr tock] Big bear, [higher pitch: brrrrrr tock] middle bear, [higher still: brrrrrr ss't't] they all went up the stairloaders, and soon there was a dent discovery in mum and dad's bedling when the dirty footmark of where she did her trottly over-and-how and then into the cops't'k. And the little bear said: "Oh lookadee, mum! There's a lying of some Goldyloppers!"

But at this mode, she jumped up in the middle of her deep dream and sleep peacey, [snore, whistle] out of the windload, slide it and huffalo-dowder the drainpikers, and through the forry fast awail! And they all looked such consternail through the windload, they hadn't time to say: "You naughty girlage!" Huh-huh-huh-huh! >>

Perhaps HE would have said that a 'pedant' was 'something that should be worn by the neck'.

Bob

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I might be wrong Mr Bulletguy but I think it is definitely not "definately"... but then I was spoilt when I was a child and snt away to school...

JJ

(Whoops... now banned for a month... :) )
:thumb: Correct JJ!
Like anyone else i make the odd spelling error. I'm not perfect just as none of us are. I overlook that in other posts, especially if they are generally well written in a legible and comprehensible manner. It's all about self confidence and a good example of this is a poster i made a reply to who tried improving his english grammar by taking a course, but believed he was still 'crap' (his description...not mine!). His post had no spelling errors, just a few punctuations in the wrong place etc. But his post was quite legible and at least he made the effort.

Some folk can't even be bothered to hit the 'cap key' on their keyboard, the end result being a post written entirely in lower case so anyone reading it has no clue where a sentence begins. They may as well be writing in cipher code!

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Sorry, but I just had to say this:
Bulletguy, this is just one of your posts. It is littered with grammatical errors and spelling mistakes. You should move out of the glass house before you throw such stones. Maybe concentrate on making your posts better before picking on others. What a pedant!
And i just have this to say in reply.

Your choice of highlighted letters from my post indicates precisely the definition of pedantic.

Detourer

Trader - Tour Operator
Jul 30, 2007
Spain and Morocco
Funster No
MH
4x4 OverLander
Exp
20+ years

I think……and that is something I rarely do before opening my mouth or reaching for the keyboard……..

Should a member post a question or comment or whatever on any subject and then “someone” comes along and points out spelling/grammar, delete the “someone’s” post. It’s nothin’ to do with the thread.

I wish I had more to do with my time today………..:RollEyes:

D

dislexik

Deleted User
And i just have this to say in reply.

Your choice of highlighted letters from my post indicates precisely the definition of pedantic.

If the cap fits son, eh:Smile:

It seems to me that you are the ONLY one, (on this thread), that wants to "help others" with their spelling and grammar. The only one that disagrees with the site owners policy. Why does poor grammar upset you so? Does it bring back bad memories from your school days, was it your English master? Did he beat you? Did he humiliate you in front of others? Is it revenge you want? ::bigsmile:

The Wallace

Free Member
Apr 3, 2009
Funster No
Should a member post a question or comment or whatever on any subject and then “someone” comes along and points out spelling/grammar, delete the “someone’s” post. It’s nothin’ to do with the thread.
This happens on the professional pilots forum and leads to some very disjointed threads since posters reply to a post before it is removed leaving you wondering what the new post refers to!!!!! Makes following threads very difficult.
Goodness me, I don't even follow what I have just written.

Detourer

Trader - Tour Operator
Jul 30, 2007
Spain and Morocco
Funster No
MH
4x4 OverLander
Exp
20+ years
......."Goodness me, I don't even follow what I have just written"...........

Best you come and sit by the pool with me then :Cool:. Off on another tour at the weekend, after the summer break everything is behind.......loads to do, so don't know were to start......perhaps tomorrow :RollEyes:

In the meantime I am working my way through the Encarta World English Dictionary. Did you know that on page 665 it says..........Yawn .........:winky:

Losos

Free Member
Feb 17, 2009
Suffolk & Czechland
Funster No
MH
Looking to buyi
Exp
N/a
Agreed that spelling and grammar are not too important ,but :Doh:, please let's have no txt spk on the forum. :winky:

Yes Jim, your OP did not mention the dreaded 'text speak' what is your judgement on this ? (Just for the record I hate it ::bigsmile:)

Over on Dogsey the LHM (Lord High Moderator) put out an appeal to members to refrain from text speak and most obliged, but two people did not and were banned. Did anyone miss them ? No way, in fact I don't think anyone even commented on their departure :ROFLMAO:

I agree that on a chat forum spelling and grammar are maybe not a high priority but Ihave on occasssion had to struggle a bit with some posts, and as some have said I have had to ignore them or even give up halfway through reading them.

It only takes a little effort to get most spelling correct e.g. I have gone back to check derekfaeberwicks spelling of grammar (because I often get it wrong and spell it grammer) so, derekfaeberwicks spelling maybe wrong but I have taken a few seconds to check and now we are either both right or both wrong :ROFLMAO:

Also on Dogsey quite few people use the following to indicate that they are not sure about a spelling (Sp.?) which, to me, indicates that they are concerned about spelling but have used a word that they would not normally use in speech in order to explain something.

While I am rabbiting away, here are two questions which it would be nice if someone could answer:-
1) Where is the 'Spell Checker' on this forum ? (I can't recall ever seeing it)
2) Why don't we have an 'ignore' button for people we really don't like (Not that I have any FUNsters I wish to excommunicate right now, but you never know who might upset me in the future do you ????:ROFLMAO:)

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Its on the top right hand corner of the text box that you type your message in.

It is a tick with an ABC over the top of it. Its really hard to miss.

Jim
:Cool:

geoff587

Free Member
Feb 13, 2009
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Time to double your speed - one finger on each hand. Thumb for the space bar.
Then little finger for Enter and you'll fly.

Practised or Practiced this method, but my left hand can,t spell. :Sad:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
1) Where is the 'Spell Checker' on this forum ? (I can't recall ever seeing it)
2) Why don't we have an 'ignore' button for people we really don't like (Not that I have any FUNsters I wish to excommunicate right now, but you never know who might upset me in the future do you ????:ROFLMAO:)

If you use Firefox it has a spell check built in that underlines misspellings as you type.

You will find the ignore a member facility in the UserCP .. scroll down, on the left, look for 'Ignore List'

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
If you use Firefox it has a spell check built in that underlines misspellings as you type.
If its not already installed you can download it from here.

If you don't have Link Removed then you should Link Removed, it really is IMO the best browser. :thumb:

TDH

Jun 22, 2009
Powys/Shropshire border
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Loads
What is the effect of putting a member's name on your 'ignore' list?

There's one name on this forum that the firewall at work always collars as being 'offensive' and prevents me from opening any page containing the name. (At the moment I can't get on to the home page as this particular member is on the 'currently on line' list).

If I put it on the 'ignore' list does it remove the name from all pages I may open?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
What is the effect of putting a member's name on your 'ignore' list?

If I put it on the 'ignore' list does it remove the name from all pages I may open?

You won't see any posts by a member on your ignore list .. .. give it a try .. but it can make threads hard to follow, mind you, many are already :RollEyes:

maybe some should put themselves on it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
You won't see any posts by a member on your ignore list .. .. give it a try .. but it can make threads hard to follow, mind you, many are already :RollEyes:

maybe some should put themselves on it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Sounds like a great tool where do I find it???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back