Sparkly new camper, collect in a couple of weeks (1 Viewer)

Nosmo King

Free Member
Jul 17, 2018
Funster No
Hey folks, as the title describes.

We don't buy brand new campers very often, or even used campers for that matter.... based on a Fiat Ducato panel van conversion btw.

The query I have - what do we look for in terms of documentation from the dealer, particularly wrt to the conversion?

Also - what do we / should we expect in terms of electrical tests, water tests, habitation and gas checks (it has a refillable cylinder)?

Thanks ever so.

Nosmo

OP
OP
Nosmo King

Nosmo King

Free Member
Jul 17, 2018
Funster No
Caroline - it's a Benimar Benivan. Quite looking forward to picking it up, the naming ceremony and the inaugural night away....

Yet to decide on both though. Need to do the latter asap jic there are any challenges and opportunities thrown our way by the 'newness'...

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi.
There will be many bits of paper you will get/need. The only two i worry about are the "Gas certificate and Electrical Cert ".Kick the tyres and check the oil,check the wheel nuts after about 50-100 miles and enjoy
I have been caught out on the vin/chassis numbers,the last thing you would think about from a Top Spec/Highly rated (As WAS:xrofl:)!! Converter ,but thats a LONG story in itself,and me down in Portugal at the time...ooops.How come they knew and i didn'txroll:xroll:.
Tea Bag
Edit. And THEY INSISTED they registered it,saying they could not regester it to a personal number,even though i had had it done with vehicles for years from new:whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::whistle::unsure:
PPS. Many Happy and Safe miles:xThumb::xThumb:

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
Knowing what I know now I should have asked for a Defect Book!!
Seriously though make sure they torque the Wheelnuts in front of you ,I asked HighBridge handover person/fitter to check wheel nuts ,he said they are tight I said I want you to torque them up in front of me why? because I took away a caravan from a Main Dealer (not HighBridge) and the wheel fell off (after I asked the Dealer twice if wheels were tight he said yes ) wheel off smashed axle and wing , .4of a mile away from Dealer, if Police had caught me I could have been charged for taking a vehicle on the highway in a unsafe condition .This applies to any thing you take on the highway even after a service .
Secondly I would check the tyre pressures as soon as possible my Motorhome had 1 tyre correct 2 tyres 20 psi low and the 3rd from memory low as well. Whether it had a check over I Don't know, trouble is Management cannot keep an eye on everyone they employ, it's not an excuse but a fact, I was a foreman , then Fleet Engineer ,before being a Garage Owner, I suspect I never saw all the dodges some got upto

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
I'd expect a list of everything done in PDI (didn't get one though). Neither did I get a gas or electrical cert (what should they look like?). I'd expect user manuals for each of the items supplied, especially the complicated ones: heating, media, fridge, security,...
Hopefully, you'll get a good handover, lasting an hour or so.

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
I'd expect a list of everything done in PDI (didn't get one though). Neither did I get a gas or electrical cert (what should they look like?). I'd expect user manuals for each of the items supplied, especially the complicated ones: heating, media, fridge, security,...
Hopefully, you'll get a good handover, lasting an hour or so.
I did get the PDI form and gas and electrical paperwork signed as well !!
still had tyre pressures low , also returned back to dealer 4 days in a row , handover took 6 hours ,yes 6 hours salesman said I must have had the record for the longest hand over , my reply to him is unsuitable for this family website !!

OP
OP
Nosmo King

Nosmo King

Free Member
Jul 17, 2018
Funster No
Thanks folks. We have our comprehensive ticklish of things to check. And this is before we pay for the thing so we've got a bit of leverage.

What I need to know about is paperwork if anyone has any recent experience please!

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
What I need to know about is paperwork if anyone has any recent experience please!

A few things from my recent handover (2-weeks ago).

1. The certificate of conformity.
2. English instruction manuals for the various equipment fitted, including the base-chassis.
3. PDI check list and equipment test certificates.
4. Printed and signed warranty documents - all cross referenced against your name and the specific vehicle being purchased.

Also, ensure that you have the correct UK equipment packs fitted.

Example: if you have bought a van which should have a black shiny grill, electric mirrors, self closing doors, 4m awning, traction control, duo CS reg, Varta batteries etc etc, then make sure these have been fitted as per the dealers marketing buff.

Check the van over but ensure you have the exact kit as per the spec list.

Good luck and enjoy :xThumb:

Andrew

Blue Knight

Free Member
Aug 7, 2017
Durham
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Andrew - perfect - exactly what I was after.
Many thanks

Also, if your van is to be registered at a higher weight (3,650kg, 3,850kg, 4,400kg etc) then make sure that everything is correct since the admin capability of some dealers is naff and they do make mistakes.

Have a great time and best of luck with your first trip away.

Andrew

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Give it a really good wash because Benimar are carried on rear open deck of Cap Finistere from Bilbao to Portsmouth and get a good dousing of salt water on route.BUSBY:xangry:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
One for the summer and one for the winter months:)
IMG_4880.JPG
IMG_4881.JPG

OP
OP
Nosmo King

Nosmo King

Free Member
Jul 17, 2018
Funster No
Thanks! Do they come in campervan size?

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I'd expect user manuals for each of the items supplied, especially the complicated ones: heating, media, fridge, security,..so.
When we picked up our new PVC last year we had the PDI check list and gas and electric test certificates.

However, the Owner’s manual, specification details and service record all had to be downloaded from the internet. No problem for us but it assumes access to the internet etc. Failure to download when an internet connection is available could lead to problems if something shows up when away later.

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
The assortment of equipment manufacturer's leaflets you get, plus an amateurish converter's handbook that covers a range of models and whose illustrations lacked important details specific to our PVC was disappointing, considering the price. The FIAT handbook for the base vehicle is better although some of the contents apply to models that are not for the UK market.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back