Spanish has bottle adaptors leaking? (1 Viewer)

Badboo

Free Member
Nov 23, 2016
Northern Portugal
Funster No
MH
McLouis Mc2 72 motor home
Exp
This our first!!
IMG_1272.JPG
Hello,

We recently purchased a Spanish adaptor (see pic) and bottle. We attached it to our Truma Duocontrol. We only used it for a few days and it worked well. When we got home we were planning to head straight out again so I didn't turn off the bottles. In the end we didn't depart for another two months and the bottle was completely empty.

We never smelt any leaking gas but clearly it was escaping somewhere. The adaptor seems to be fitted correctly. The only thing that I noticed is that you can pull the adaptor off the bottle without lifting the locking mechanism. I'm not sure if this is normal? You need to lift the locking mechanism to fit the adaptor on to the bottle. Is anyone had much experience with these adaptors that can suggest what's happened?

Thanks in advance.

Deleted User
It should be necessary to lift the locking ring, if you can release the adapter without doing this then something is wrong but I would have thought that the adapter would not have worked unless fully locked on.

Sometimes it can be difficult to press down to fully connect so i always check by attempting to lift after connecting but I have never tried to turn the gas on in the 'semi connected state'.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
The lower outer black plastic ring needs to locked / pushed down firmly.. Maybe it wasn't making a right connection of had something trapped (bit of grit).. I have used one for 5 years on current van and swop sevral bottles a year, no issues to date.

Also, when connecting, you need to lift the black ring up as you push the adaptor on.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
I could be wrong but you seem to be using a regulator on the bottle connected to the van regulator, when we did this it caused the bottle regulator to weep from its safety hole, when we connected bypassing the van regulator it stopped the leak

Deleted User
I could be wrong but you seem to be using a regulator on the bottle connected to the van regulator, when we did this it caused the bottle regulator to weep from its safety hole, when we connected bypassing the van regulator it stopped the leak

That's not a regulator it is an adapter, the regulator has a simple pipe connection outlet ( don't know the correct name) the adapter has a screwed connector for a high pressure pigtail. The Spanish ones look very similar, another clue is the regulator has a flip 'tap' on the top whereas the adapter has the large screw knob.

This is a Spanish regulator

IMG_2219.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
AS every one else has said if you can remove it without lifting black locking ring then it either wasn't fully pushed down to lock the ring of balls in place or the cylinder has become exceedingly worn. I do what @matamoros does & after pushing down the black locking ring I lift the whole cylinder by grasping the regulator. If it isn't locked then it will detach.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Iv'e had a good look at that Photo you've provided @Badboo and, whether it's the perspective or what, but it doesn't look as if it's on 'square'.
As said, it might be my looking at it wrong but I think,(if you didn't move it from when your problem was discovered to taking the photo) that it's not seated properly.

Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
I'm not trying to be a smart arse but I never travel without turning the gas off at the bottle.

Still, every cloud has a silver lining as you wouldn't have known you had the problem unless you'd left the gas on :LOL:

I must admit, I've had problems attaching the Spanish Jumbo adapter and double check if it's gone on properly by lifting the bottle by the adapter.

OP
OP
Badboo

Badboo

Free Member
Nov 23, 2016
Northern Portugal
Funster No
MH
McLouis Mc2 72 motor home
Exp
This our first!!
I'm not trying to be a smart arse but I never travel without turning the gas off at the bottle.

No you make a good point but we purchased the Truma DuoControl was to allow for usage while driving

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I had a similar problem when in Spain a few months back being unfamiliar with the Spanish
adapter and arthritic fingers and very little room in the gas locker
to fit it I found it wasn't connected properly but allowed gas to escape ,I also had a duff adapter
it took a little while and one gas bottle to twig what was happening but 6 euros later and a new adapter all was well :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back