Spanish change in law Re passing cyclists 22/3/22 (3 Viewers)

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
What on earth is a legal requirement for mud guards on bikes supposed to achieve? I've heard some funny ideas about what cyclists should have to do to be allowed out on their bikes but this is a new one on me šŸ˜‚

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
I live and work in Derby, you could count the number of cyclists passing each day on a busy main road on one hand - verses thousands of vehicles.

So who should take priority?

Cycling is dangerous - only safe if no cars....
The most vulnerable road user takes priority. It's not as though most cyclists don't drive too you know so it's ridiculous to get so tribal about it. There's hardly any horses on the roads but I'm happy to slow right down and wait or pass very slowly whether on my bike or van.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I live and work in Derby, you could count the number of cyclists passing each day on a busy main road on one hand - verses thousands of vehicles.

Driving is dangerous too. It seems like cars are the problem. It would help of more drivers read and follow the Highway Code but it seems that is asking too much. It is a shame that other road users are put at risk because so many car drivers are so dangerous.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
So you didnt't feel the need to pull over and not hold up traffic....
From recollection I didnā€™t feel there was a need for me to stop riding so the car could pass. I too am ā€˜trafficā€™. I was surprised the cars didnā€™t pass me to be honest, there was ample sight of oncoming traffic in many places to safely do so, albeit crossing the white line to give me the legally required 1.5m

I was using the road correctly, close to the edge, safely and was not holding the car up, they just couldnā€™t drive as fast as perhaps they wished to. To have stopped and given them greater room was not possible as there was no path for me to get onto, if there had been and no pedestrians I would have likely been riding on it šŸ˜Š

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
The most vulnerable road user takes priority. It's not as though most cyclists don't drive too you know so it's ridiculous to get so tribal about it. There's hardly any horses on the roads but I'm happy to slow right down and wait or pass very slowly whether on my bike or van.

I am not being 'tribal'

I actually bought a house for my son to live in rather than see him ride 5 miles to work.... I am a realist not a dreamer

May 7, 2017
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
2017 Chausson 718XLB 180
Exp
20 years
What on earth is a legal requirement for mud guards on bikes supposed to achieve? I've heard some funny ideas about what cyclists should have to do to be allowed out on their bikes but this is a new one on me šŸ˜‚
Same as sideguards on trucks I doubt if Hauliers want them

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
From recollection I didnā€™t feel there was a need for me to stop riding so the car could pass. I too am ā€˜trafficā€™. I was surprised the cars didnā€™t pass me to be honest, there was ample sight of oncoming traffic in many places to safely do so, albeit crossing the white line to give me the legally required 1.5m

I was using the road correctly, close to the edge, safely and was not holding the car up, they just couldnā€™t drive as fast as perhaps they wished to. To have stopped and given them greater room was not possible as there was no path for me to get onto, if there had been and no pedestrians I would have likely been riding on it šŸ˜Š
You just had to stop, you knew you were holding the car up....you said so

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
Same as sideguards on trucks I doubt if Hauliers want them
How is a mud guard anything like a side guard on a truck? Surely they are for stopping cars going under a truck. Are you worried about radio controlled cars going under bicycle wheels?!

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
You seem to be venting here. I hope that you feel better.
I never feel better until it is all done my way.I just get more physcotic.
Road Tax was abolished in 1937.
& so was 'national insurance ' & its usage but it is still called that so the sheep don't realise income tax starts in the 30+% area.
The most vulnerable road user takes priority.
Yes but they also have to have some responsibility for themselves & not leave it all to others to do.

When walking I have concerns for not incoveniencing those who are busy. When crossing roads anywhere than designated crossing points or where there are centre refuges if I get knocked down I know it is my own fault. When cycling if I go through red lights ,fail to stop at junctions requiring it, fail to stop at crossings ,etc, I expect you to run me down. I have no problem or complaint with that .I am performing illegal manoeuvres . I understand that regardless of what politicians try to make into laws.

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
I am not being 'tribal'

I actually bought a house for my son to live in rather than see him ride 5 miles to work.... I am a realist not a dreamer
Lucky him what about the ones who can't afford that? Perhaps the answer lies in better infrastructure for cyclists and education on road safety?

Aug 20, 2019
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Pulse
Exp
Motorhoming since 2020
O

& so was 'national insurance ' & its usage but it is still called that so the sheep don't realise income tax starts in the 30+% area.

Yes but they also have to have some responsibility for themselves & not leave it all to others to do.

When walking I have concerns for not incoveniencing those who are busy. When crossing roads anywhere than designated crossing points or where there are centre refuges if I get knocked down I know it is my own fault. When cycling if I go through red lights ,fail to stop at junctions requiring it, fail to stop at crossings ,etc, I expect you to run me down. I have no problem or complaint with that .I am performing illegal manoeuvres . I understand that regardless of what politicians try to make into laws.
Of course cyclists have responsibility too. Where has anyone argued otherwise? I obey all rules of the road and am considerate to all other road users.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

Such a shame... Have you had your Snickers recently? You're not you when you're ranting about cyclists breaking so many laws... Maybe a cholate bar will help.

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years

Yes. But it shouldn't be.

Cigarettes are dangerous to people in pubs. So do you ban people. No. You ban the cigarettes.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Yes. But it shouldn't be.

Cigarettes are dangerous to people in pubs. So do you ban people. No. You ban the cigarettes.

Your avatar shows which catagory of cyclists you identify with - not just a commuter....

Dec 1, 2015
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Low profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Twenty years
Why didnā€™t you buy him a car, it would have been cheaper.

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
You haven't answered the question though? why are they so wide when no one uses them.? In terms of cost it must be in excess of a milliona cyclist at a guess?
The better ones do get used because they are designed for cycles. The crappy ones much less so because itā€™s safer on the road as I said before.

It is chicken and egg, before there are miles of good cycle lanes that are segregated from cars, most people who would use a bike wonā€™t for fear of their life and that includes me. I am happy to spend my tax revenue on infrastructure that will make people healthier as well as pollute the planet less.

The last fatal RTC I attended involving a cyclist was where they were minding their own business cycling along. A driver who was respectable, taxed, insured and legal, probably just like me and everyone reading this thread had a moments lapse in concentration and got too close.

I wonā€™t describe the scene but itā€™s safe to say, there was nothing I could do for the poor chap. The car driver, though traumatised beyond belief, went home to his family without a scratch, vulnerable road users deserve and should have priority for this reason alone.

Threads like this always boil down to a few people with different views voicing them loudly. If you are an idiot and discourteous, you are an idiot and discourteous. The vehicle you drive or ride is immaterial.

I wonā€™t say anymore, itā€™s not us and them, itā€™s about the safety of all of us.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
The better ones do get used because they are designed for cycles. The crappy ones much less so because itā€™s safer on the road as I said before.

It is chicken and egg, before there are miles of good cycle lanes that are segregated from cars, most people who would use a bike wonā€™t for fear of their life and that includes me. I am happy to spend my tax revenue on infrastructure that will make people healthier as well as pollute the planet less.

The last fatal RTC I attended involving a cyclist was where they were minding their own business cycling along. A driver who was respectable, taxed, insured and legal, probably just like me and everyone reading this thread had a moments lapse in concentration and got too close.

I wonā€™t describe the scene but itā€™s safe to say, there was nothing I could do for the poor chap. The car driver, though traumatised beyond belief, went home to his family without a scratch, vulnerable road users deserve and should have priority for this reason alone.

Threads like this always boil down to a few people with different views voicing them loudly. If you are an idiot and discourteous, you are an idiot and discourteous. The vehicle you drive or ride is immaterial.

I wonā€™t say anymore, itā€™s not us and them, itā€™s about the safety of all of us.

You say it all - cyclists and motorcyclists (and pedestrians) are vulnerable and have to take more care - for their own sakes....

OP
OP
royandsharont
May 14, 2021
East Yorkshire, UK
Funster No
MH
ADRIA Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2012
You just had to stop, you knew you were holding the car up....you said so
Where did I say I was holding the cars up? I didnā€™t and I didnā€™t see it that way. I was using the road within the rules and suspect with hindsight the car drivers were too, or frightened to cross the centre line to safely pass me.

If I had been driving I would have waited until a clear view of the road ahead was possible to safely pass the cyclist and I would have moved out to safely pass them, crossing the centre line to do so.

If we applied your idea of cycling to assist motorised drivers then, on that road I was referring to, cyclists would be banned, so motorised drivers could use it. Even if Iā€™d have stopped, as you suggest, the distance from me to the passing cars could not be changed by my actions.

I just donā€™t get it ā˜¹ļø

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
You say it all - cyclists and motorcyclists (and pedestrians) are vulnerable and have to take more care - for their own sakes....
Please donā€™t misquote me, I didnā€™t say they need to take more care. Thatā€™s victim blaming.

I said it is about the safety of all of us.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
It seems a bit strange you feel that cyclists have to take more care due to dangerous drivers when the dangerous drivers appear to be so close to home.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
Please donā€™t misquote me, I didnā€™t say they need to take more care. Thatā€™s victim blaming.

I said it is about the safety of all of us.

It's not about the safety of the vehicle dtiver - it's about self preservation - pedestrians and cyclists

Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis
Exp
20 years
It's not about the safety of the vehicle dtiver - it's about self preservation - pedestrians and cyclists

I have nothing else to add, if you canā€™t see why, it is because you donā€™t want to see why.

Have a good evening.

Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
It seems a bit strange you feel that cyclists have to take more care due to dangerous drivers when the dangerous drivers appear to be so close to home.

Car hits cyclist - car driver not injured, cyclist, pedestrian hurt or worse

Commonsense tells me as a pedestrian or cyclist to be more aware than the vehicle driver

Apr 19, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado T339
Exp
5 years
Car hits cyclist - car driver not injured, cyclist, pedestrian hurt or worse

Commonsense tells me as a pedestrian or cyclist to be more aware than the vehicle driver
A bit like saying there is a man walking down the street shooting everyone who doesn't smile at him. Its the fault of the people who didn't smile at him rather than the person with the gun

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back