Spain & France (1 Viewer)

Jul 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado Low Profile
Exp
Since 2016 caravan previously
Off to Spain and France in a couple of weeks. Just found out UK on number plate not sufficient need actual UK sticker on van is that correct? Also do I need headlight deflectors I’m driving a 2020 Ducato. Any other must haves?

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
To travel in the EU, you either need a number plate with a UK flag on it or a UK sticker that's clearly displayed on the rear of your car*.

You should also have the headlight deflectors, however, some nefarious UK drivers who never drive in the dark dont worry about them, but that is an individual choice

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
Jun 6, 2020
Funster No
MH
Apache Hi Line 634
Spare bulbs, yellow high vis vest and warning triangle (at least for Spain) 🇪🇸

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yes, for Spain you need the UK sticker but I took mine off. PIA, people asking where you are from and taking photos of the number plate. Even the Spanish police haven't a clue what it means.

Jul 18, 2009
Manchester UK + Javea/Xabia Spain + Abu Dhabi
Funster No
MH
HYMER B644
Exp
To travel in the EU, you either need a number plate with a UK flag on it or a UK sticker that's clearly displayed on the rear of your car*.

You should also have the headlight deflectors, however, some nefarious UK drivers who never drive in the dark dont worry about them, but that is an individual choice
Never seen European vehicles on UK roads with beam deflectors

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Never seen European vehicles on UK roads with beam deflectors
I did once put them on.
Wales were playing in Lyon and all the Welsh were waiting to board the ferry (Euros 16?) and they were all looking at the unbelievably complicated diffuser headlight plan to put them on.
I wasnt going to bother but I saw an opportunity and went out there, pretended I knew what I was doing, and placed ours onto our headlights.

The Welsh looked amazed and came over and asked if I could do theirs. Of course I could I said.
Then one by one I got their instructions out, looked at their headlights, and placed the diffusers onto the headlights where I thought they might go. I reckon I did about 15-20 cars that night. I didnt have a clue where they went

NB It was the height of Summer, they were overnighting in Lille and would have got there by 1800 hrs and then travel to Lyon the next day so they were never going to use their lights anyway.

It is important to note that to my knowledge no Welsh were hurt in the process of putting diffusers on. The wife was not impressed with me at all worrying if they found out that I was just blagging it for a giggle.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Martatin
Jul 10, 2019
Funster No
MH
Carado Low Profile
Exp
Since 2016 caravan previously
I have a paper driving licence. Do I need an IDP to go with it?

Jul 18, 2010
Bournemouth and Gibraltar
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2003
Yes, for Spain you need the UK sticker but I took mine off. PIA, people asking where you are from and taking photos of the number plate. Even the Spanish police haven't a clue what it means.

RU for Reino Unido/Royaume Uni will clear things up for them….. or perhaps not tovarich!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Suenliam

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 14, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion CV40
Exp
20+
Not sure if we took ours off after our Sept. 23 holiday. They may or may not have been put on correctly then - you need a degree in code deciphering to interpret the instruction sheet. We don't drive at night anyway.
Sue

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back