Spain’s new Digital Nomad visa (1 Viewer)

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Not sure if this has already been mentioned, or if it will be of interest to anybody on here?

Apparently, Spain is launching a new “digital nomad” visa, which is aimed at those who work remotely for a non-Spanish company and is available to those from outside the EU. It will allow people to live and work in Spain for 12 months, with the option to apply for residency for two years, which can be extended for another two.

More details here:

Broken Link Removed

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Interesting, so as the wife books people in online for her hairdresser's, works their hours out from the online diary, emails that to our accountant and then pays them the amounts he emails back, we should qualify. :giggle:

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
Interesting, so as the wife books people in online for her hairdresser's, works their hours out from the online diary, emails that to our accountant and then pays them the amounts he emails back, we should qualify. :giggle:
Sounds like a plan. Don't see why that shouldn't work. (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
after you have registered for tax, secured an 'opening licence' , public liability, registered for IVA ( no exemptions here under x amounts) obtained a business licence registered your business name, etc; etc, etc.
Then you'll need someone to pay your tax & iva (monthly) unless you fancy doing it yourself?
there is also the possibility, regardless of whaat central gov.es says that the regions would consider yo liable for self employed contributions, that's a minimu 273€per month even if nothing is earned. Throw in another 250€/month for the accountant . Then once over 183 days you would be liable for worldwide income to be declared including any types of assets property, vehicle, jewellery ,etc; etc; etc held elsewhere in the world.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Don't think you have it right Gus, it says I can work for a foreign company, out of the EU.

EML

Sep 18, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
15 years
Don't think you have it right Gus, it says I can work for a foreign company, out of the EU.
I agree with you, but I cant quite see what's in it for the Spanish govt. I wonder if it's a way to keep the Brits who are already doing this under the radar, but who might pay property taxes, and spend their money locally?

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
I agree with you, but I cant quite see what's in it for the Spanish govt. I wonder if it's a way to keep the Brits who are already doing this under the radar, but who might pay property taxes, and spend their money locally?
I don't think there has been any mention yet of how much this 'Digital Nomad' visa might cost? Could be a chunky sum?

There is already a 'Golden' visa for folk who are able and prepared to purchase a Spanish property for a minimum of €500,000.

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016
I'd never heard of the 'golden 'visa. 500k in property or 1 million in a Spanish bank account (euros). Interesting ....

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I'd never heard of the 'golden 'visa. 500k in property or 1 million in a Spanish bank account (euros). Interesting ....

Mar 30, 2019
Cardiff, UK
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2016

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
after you have registered for tax, secured an 'opening licence' , public liability, registered for IVA ( no exemptions here under x amounts) obtained a business licence registered your business name, etc; etc, etc.
Then you'll need someone to pay your tax & iva (monthly) unless you fancy doing it yourself?
there is also the possibility, regardless of whaat central gov.es says that the regions would consider yo liable for self employed contributions, that's a minimu 273€per month even if nothing is earned. Throw in another 250€/month for the accountant . Then once over 183 days you would be liable for worldwide income to be declared including any types of assets property, vehicle, jewellery ,etc; etc; etc held elsewhere in the world.
Other than that you think it’s a ‘go’er’?👍🏻👍🏻

Jun 11, 2011
Derby
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Cheyenne 840 SE
Exp
The Non Lucrative Visa looks a good alternative to the Golden Visa.

Spain’s Non-Lucrative Visa allows non-EU citizens to live in Spain provided they are able to support themselves financially. It is used by those planning to retire to Spain and is an option for British retirees and other people who do not plan to work in Spain now that the UK is no longer a member of the EU.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
IMHO the EU should have a look at its visa situation the current situation is actually protectionist, allowing people from poorer areas of europe to relocate ( sometimes too easily) but restricting non cabal members. Its in many of their countries interests to attract both bright young people and income from people who want to retire from outside the EU. There is currently nothing between 3 months and applying to live there. They would surely be better off going for a 2 stage like the US; the online Esta for 3 months and then the better checked out 6 monthly versions.

EML

Sep 18, 2018
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
15 years
I don't think there has been any mention yet of how much this 'Digital Nomad' visa might cost? Could be a chunky sum?

There is already a 'Golden' visa for folk who are able and prepared to purchase a Spanish property for a minimum of €500,000.
My guess is that the cost will be more or less nothing.

There are better golden visa options if you really want to go that way - both Portugal and Greece are €250,000 (can buy in with property), and you can apply for citizenship after 5 or 7 years. The Spanish equivalent is 10 years.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
There are lots of different schemes to obtain residency in EU countries.
However, they are for you to emigrate fully and live there, with all the other requirements of documentation, licensing, vehicle registration and tax implications etc.
Not to enable you to spend 6 months in Beni in a MH 🤷‍♂️
( …..other destinations are available 🤪)

OP
OP
mikebeaches

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 2009
My guess is that the cost will be more or less nothing.

There are better golden visa options if you really want to go that way - both Portugal and Greece are €250,000 (can buy in with property), and you can apply for citizenship after 5 or 7 years. The Spanish equivalent is 10 years.
Well I suppose we'll have to wait and see what the cost is...

And whilst it may be cheaper / easier to get a visa for Portugal or Greece, that slightly misses the point if you want to be in Spain! ;)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Yes you can to gain residency.It doesn't say that you can bypass all the rules that apply to anyone else running any type of business? No one earning a living self employed or as an owner is going to let the spanish gov.es allow foreigners to work here whilst paying nothing in the way of tax, iva, startup costs, registration etc even if none of the work is done in spain nor anything earned here.
There are many spaniards & foreigners who work online here already. Who earn nothing within spain but all are required to register the business , register for iva,pay tax, national insurance, etc ;etc;
They wouldn't be happy competing against those who do not have the same costs?
As above.+ anyone already doing it would probably already be a resident & have no need of a visa?
Other than that you think it’s a ‘go’er’?👍🏻👍🏻
I can't believe anyone in his right mind would?:giggle:

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
There are lots of different schemes to obtain residency in EU countries.
However, they are for you to emigrate fully and live there, with all the other requirements of documentation, licensing, vehicle registration and tax implications etc.
Not to enable you to spend 6 months in Beni in a MH 🤷‍♂️
( …..other destinations are available 🤪)
And this is the point - there is a huge gap in the current visa setup, nothing between 3 months or going to live there.

I also think the previous EU system had massive flaws, it was ridiculous that people could move countries almost on a whim and live for many years without any kind of checks, perfect for criminals.

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Yes you can to gain residency.It doesn't say that you can bypass all the rules that apply to anyone else running any type of business? No one earning a living self employed or as an owner is going to let the spanish gov.es allow foreigners to work here whilst paying nothing in the way of tax, iva, startup costs, registration etc even if none of the work is done in spain nor anything earned here.
There are many spaniards & foreigners who work online here already. Who earn nothing within spain but all are required to register the business , register for iva,pay tax, national insurance, etc ;etc;
They wouldn't be happy competing against those who do not have the same costs?

As above.+ anyone already doing it would probably already be a resident & have no need of a visa?

I can't believe anyone in his right mind would?:giggle:
Being left-handed I use my left mind.
This from that link:

It also greatly simplifies many of the formalities needed to live and work in Spain for a few months, or up to a year.

So it looks like there won't be a need to do much of what gus-lopez says for a year.

Oct 13, 2021
Funster No
MH
just looking
Wooow, I knew nothing bout this new nomad visa and it can work for me. I had heard about the golden visa but this new one is close to me.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back