Lanerboy

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
midlands
Funster No
MH
Carthago 4.9 superior
Hi all

Have any of you toured southern Ireland in your motorhome, we are thinking of doing this but need to know a bit more about it

1 is it safe, are the locals friendly in these strange times
2 can you wild camp like in Scotland
3 i have heard its hard to get rid of your rubbish
4 which is the best ferry to get from the uk to Ireland
5 would 2 or 3 weeks be enough time to see the place
6 what are the roads like are they very narrow if so are there plenty of passing places
7 are there plenty of campsites if needed
8 anything else people who have been can comment on

Thanks

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi..theres been a few threads on tis which will answer most of what you ask other than things relating to covid..

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
At the moment, it appears that anyone travelling to Southern Ireland is expected to restrict their movements for 14 days after arrival. That is unless you've come from Northern Ireland or a Green List Location (England, Wales, Scotland are not on the Irish green list).

I'd hoped to do Southern Ireland, or more particularly parts of the Connemara and western areas, last May. But too much uncertainty even to be looking at the alternatives of this September. Next year it will have to be.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Boris7

Banned
Jan 27, 2020
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Burford
Exp
1 year
Hi all

Have any of you toured southern Ireland in your motorhome, we are thinking of doing this but need to know a bit more about it

1 is it safe, are the locals friendly in these strange times
2 can you wild camp like in Scotland
3 i have heard its hard to get rid of your rubbish
4 which is the best ferry to get from the uk to Ireland
5 would 2 or 3 weeks be enough time to see the place
6 what are the roads like are they very narrow if so are there plenty of passing places
7 are there plenty of campsites if needed
8 anything else people who have been can comment on

Thanks

1 Absolutely NOT, unless you bring a potato youā€™ll have to deal with a Shillelagh wielding leprechaun.

2 NO, youā€™ll need to park on the right of the Rowen tree

3, Rubbish

4. The big one

5 Which place?

6. black

7, How many do you need?

8. Youā€™ll need to bring your own electricity, you can get it in garages but our buckets only have lefthand threads.

Itā€™s Ireland, not Afghanistan, roads are fine, people are great, the ring of Kerry is quieter than ever.

As with anywhere covid means just be more respectful, Guinness from the Liffey is an antidote for covid (this may not be true)

Buzz67

Free Member
Feb 10, 2020
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Exp
Never toured there in a motorhome but know the area well.
The south west is stunning!!!
Check out the Beara peninsula. Eyeries, Allihies, Healey Pass etc.
Friendliest people youā€™ll meet anywhere and thereā€™s always the craic.
And of course the Guinness.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Healey Pass
Lovely part of the country (y)
FD340325-3214-4AF2-8886-26C0173107E4_1_105_c.jpeg

920A5014-0BD1-41C7-BC19-D36D7D890849_1_105_c.jpeg

Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
Have toured Southern Ireland in the rain campsites are overpriced and most lay-bys have height barriers to stop gypsies will not go back France is far better and costs a lot less

Buzz67

Free Member
Feb 10, 2020
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Exp
Many years ago I watched the Circuit Of Ireland rally coming up the Cork side of the pass, as shown in Andyā€™s post. Absolutely mental.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Many years ago I watched the Circuit Of Ireland rally coming up the Cork side of the pass, as shown in Andyā€™s post. Absolutely mental.
The day I took that photo there was an iron man event on and the cycling section took in the pass.. Ƭ sat it out till they were all through..
Andy..

Jul 1, 2012
Nr Whitby
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
On & off since late70s
Have toured Southern Ireland in the rain campsites are overpriced and most lay-bys have height barriers to stop gypsies will not go back France is far better and costs a lot less
Off to France you go

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Planning to return next month to finish the Wild Atlantic Way and maybe "do" the River Shannon which has been recommended to us. Subject of course to restrictions. We took three weeks last year, thinking it would be enough but there was so much to see and the pace of life wa so slow that we only got halfway round (but that did include right around the NI coast too from Belfast which was equally as attarctive in it's own way).

We never used a campsite, finding enough stopovers using the various apps, Campercontact etc. Just downloaded a new one, Motorhomeireland, which appears to show a lot more but they do vary from lay-bys to full-blown aires and campsites. In 3 weeks the only time we paid for a stopover was a private aire, otherwise we had little problem with water, waste etc.

The roads are, like anywhere, varied but generally very quiet away from the cities. The WAW is well-signposted but as it does it's best to stay as close to the coast as possible some of the roads are, well, challenging!

As for ferries, it's really dependant on where you start from and where you want to go, but none are cheap and we aren't using Tesco vouchers as the very small reduction in cost isn't worth wasting them. We used, and will again, the Cairnryan/Belfast route, simply because it's overall cheaper as total mileage appears to be the same. CMC seem to have good rates but it's still worth checking direct with the ferry companies - last year CMC beat everything else by over Ā£100 but not so much this time.

If you visit our blog (link below) there's another to the blog we did for Ireland.

Buzz67

Free Member
Feb 10, 2020
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Exp
Andy, the last picture (Glanmore Lake) is a very special place to me.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Andy, the last picture (Glanmore Lake) is a very special place to me.
I'm curious now šŸ¤” ..but im sure if it was for public consumption you would have said why....
Are you from the area... it is a beautiful country and considering my family originated in the north and many still live up there ive only managed to tour the south a couple times..
I'm frequently in donegaul when I'm over visiting family.
Andy

Buzz67

Free Member
Feb 10, 2020
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640
Exp
It was my motherā€™s favourite view so we scattered her there.
10 years later, my father joined her.
So of course I always go for ā€œquiet timeā€ there, when I am in the area.
No, not from the area, but spent a lot of time there.
My folks first went there in the early 1960s and fell in love with the place.
Tourism was virtually unheard of in that area then
Might try and get over in the van later in the year.

ctc

Oct 12, 2015
Crowle
Funster No
MH
Hymer b680
Exp
New
But........ They donā€˜t often have Guinness. :(
The best Guinness is made in England, I was told the by one of the Guinness family running their Runcorn plant and by one of their brewers.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back