Somewhere to go this new year that is slightly warmer??????????? (1 Viewer)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Having been to Spain and down to Gibraltar for the previous two years. I was thinking of somewhere else to go to. hopefully slightly less of a long drive.
I was thinking of Portugal this time and was considering Italy, until I found the MB tunnel costs.
What is it like in Portugal? Considering, stopping and parking, Tolls, Taxes, cost of fuel etc. I have never been there and have not got the foggiest idea of what it is like. The weather is a big point with us to get away from the dreary UK for a couple of weeks at least.
It would be nice to have some sort of quick guides to all these places before we set out and maybe find out the hard was what it is like. Spain is OK but not wanting to keep repeating the same thing for lack of being more adventurous. South of France is not as warm a Spain, but it nearer but dearer.
Any suggestions to where to go, but 'Herself 'does not like loads of people around and is unlikely to agree to gregarious places.

Jul 2, 2017
Pr9 9qs
Funster No
MH
Adria matrix 670sl
Exp
Having been to Spain and down to Gibraltar for the previous two years. I was thinking of somewhere else to go to. hopefully slightly less of a long drive.
I was thinking of Portugal this time and was considering Italy, until I found the MB tunnel costs.
What is it like in Portugal? Considering, stopping and parking, Tolls, Taxes, cost of fuel etc. I have never been there and have not got the foggiest idea of what it is like. The weather is a big point with us to get away from the dreary UK for a couple of weeks at least.
It would be nice to have some sort of quick guides to all these places before we set out and maybe find out the hard was what it is like. Spain is OK but not wanting to keep repeating the same thing for lack of being more adventurous. South of France is not as warm a Spain, but it nearer but dearer.
Any suggestions to where to go, but 'Herself 'does not like loads of people around and is unlikely to agree to gregarious places.
In Portugal now and liking it. Think it won’t be as hot as Spain in winter months but not much between them and better than uk. Having done Spain a few times must say do like Portugal a little better. Bit further but maybe worth the extra drive. Finding plenty of places on camper contact

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp

You don't have to go via Mont Blanc Tunnel, massively cheaper to go Belgium Germany Switzerland as long as you re careful which tunnel you use ( Gotthard is included) having said that new year could be snowy and still cold in Italy.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Cleve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 27, 2015
France
Funster No
MH
Hymer 654
What is Greece like, sort of well South the sort of time we would like to avoid the miserable climate here. I was warned of the summer months and really like to do the historic sites, Delphi, Parthenon etc

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
We did Sicily for 6 weeks a couple of years ago. The weather was very pleasant and warm and the history and island was fantastic. But it's a very long drive, makes Southern Spain look like a short hop. The other thing is Sicily is quiet, many campsites are closed from October until Easter.

Reactions: DBK

CapnJack

Free Member
Sep 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
What is Greece like, sort of well South the sort of time we would like to avoid the miserable climate here. I was warned of the summer months and really like to do the historic sites, Delphi, Parthenon etc
Following as we are having the same idea.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Why on earth are you ruling Italy out because of the cost of a toll tunnel that you do not have to use and which is not on the most direct route anyway?

As had been said many times on another thread the easiest quickest and cheapest way to Italy is through Switzerland via Basle and Como. Motorway all the way and the whole "toll" for crossing Switzerland is about 32€ return paid in advance when you first enter the country.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Spain tends to be warmer than Portugal, Algarve thends to be warmest part of Portugal.
We are in Portugal at the momentum, see top link in my signature. Also other links to my Spain & Portugal trips.

Reactions: DBK
Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Why on earth are you ruling Italy out because of the cost of a toll tunnel that you do not have to use and which is not on the most direct route anyway?

As had been said many times on another thread the easiest quickest and cheapest way to Italy is through Switzerland via Basle and Como. Motorway all the way and the whole "toll" for crossing Switzerland is about 32€ return paid in advance when you first enter the country.

Yes and that 32 euro covers you a year for up to 10 journeys across Switzerland.
Tbf Switzerland can get expensive if you actually visit anything.

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Greece is pleasant up till Christmas. It can get very wet and stormy after that. Also Delphi (stunning) and the Parthenon are not well south.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
How do you guys get around in India? On our visit I found getting around a real pain, that and all the acres of rubbish.
Slowly, been there done that, not for the faint hearted traveling independently.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I think they changed it this year for over 3.5t now 10 consecutive days.

Do you have a link for it?

I'm looking here - I think its the official one

Applicable charge periods
The following possibilities exist for paying the PSVA:

• Between one and thirty consecutive days
  • Ten freely chosen days during a given year*
  • Between one and eleven consecutive months
  • One year
*In the case of proof of payment for ten freely chosen days, you must independently validate it before entry as well as at the start of each subsequent day the vehicle spends in Switzerland.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013

• One year
*In the case of proof of payment for ten freely chosen days, you must independently validate it before entry as well as at the start of each subsequent day the vehicle spends in Switzerland.
Looking at that info it is apparent that the 10 days in any one year pass for as motorhome is still the 32.50 Swiss francs I paid in 2016.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
We have travelled around much of India but now tend to relax in Kerala. As for transport, their trains rank amongst some of the worlds largest enterprises and the ease of booking and cheapness make them an unbeatable adventure.
Visiting the sub-continent with an open mind, allows you to appreciate their wonderful culture.

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
Afternoon
Hope you are all good.
Not a lot happening here.
Pic of the new grandniece 5 days old
and already part of family rough and tumble.

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009

• One year

I have been through the links and the forms, which is where English stops and German takes over.

I understans the different charging periods, but cannot find how much it is per day.

Is the daily charge the same which ever period one chooses or are they different tarrifs?

Anyway I cannot find the charges per day.

Help please.

Geoff

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I have been through the links and the forms, which is where English stops and German takes over.

I understans the different charging periods, but cannot find how much it is per day.

Is the daily charge the same which ever period one chooses or are they different tarrifs?

Anyway I cannot find the charges per day.

Help please.

Geoff
The charges are set out for the various types of vehicles and durations on the form you fill out at the border. I followed a couple of links to find it, but can't remember what they were. Anyway I save a pdf copy of it to my PC and I attach it here.

Edit to save time, it is 3.25 sf per day, or 58.50sf per month or 650sf per year or 32.50sf if you want any 10 days within a period of 12 months. (all for a motorhome in excess of 3.5t

Attachments

• 15_91_psva_deklarationfuerdiepauschaleschwerverkehrsabgabe.pdf
    165.8 KB · Views: 26

Mousy

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 13, 2013
Sa15 2DG
Funster No
MH
Hymer S840 Merc auto
Exp
Since 2013
How do you guys get around in India? On our visit I found getting around a real pain, that and all the acres of rubbish.
are you doing a thread..? Would love to see some pictures and details...?
Did you pick up the new van then abandon it at home?

We are traveling independently, we’ve used an Indian company to book trains, flights and occasional private driver. All been easy so far.

We’ve spent the last year or so travelling extensively in Asia, Mexico, New Zealand and Europe etc so India hasn’t been as much of a cultural shock as we thought it would be. It’s cleaner than Vietnam! But we are in the south (known as India light).

We’ve been in Kerala for 2 weeks and are slowly working our way up to Goa before flying north to do the golden triangle in November.

Happy to do a blog if you’re interested?

Lenny HB yes we went to Belgium, stayed a few nights with Campariama (who were fantastic about doing stuff) drove home, played with the new van for a few days then very reluctantly left it behind to go here! We love it and are looking forward to using it at Shrewsbury for new year.

Probably just as well we are away as waiting to register it etc at home would be torment.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Don't have a link my mate was looking at buying on line that's what he came up with.
That's why I said think, not sure.
May only be if you pay online.
You didn't used to be able to pay in advance, and had to be done at the border. I understand you can do so now, but only by using the Via app, which I think is an app for HGV drivers tolls. They often have to queue for hours to get things sorted out at the border. But all motorhomes just follow the car route. You will get stopped, just tell them that you are over 3.5t and they will direct you to the correct place to sort it out.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back