Somewhere to go this new year that is slightly warmer??????????? (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
No way will I go somewhere where the charges and laws are not known either that or written in German. Too many pitfalls bit like the go box in Austria where they hit you with a large fine because you do not send something in the post as verification of emissions etc. They all seem to want to fine anybody, for something they never knew about As for the Gotthard tunnel the last time I went through that on my honeymoon, they charged for two people on a motorbike the same as the 32 seat coach in front. I swore I would never go again.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Just wondering how you "Validate" each of the 10 allowable days on or before re-entering swiss?
Maybe at the border crossing, or just keep a purchase receipt?, anyone know?
thanks
Les

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
No way will I go somewhere where the charges and laws are not known either that or written in German. Too many pitfalls bit like the go box in Austria where they hit you with a large fine because you do not send something in the post as verification of emissions etc. They all seem to want to fine anybody, for something they never knew about As for the Gotthard tunnel the last time I went through that on my honeymoon, they charged for two people on a motorbike the same as the 32 seat coach in front. I swore I would never go again.
The charges are known, because I told you them. They are written in the languages of Switzerland but have pictures as well of the vehicles

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
To be ultra clear

You buy a block of 10 days for 32.50CHF and this gets you a form with 10 spaces on it. The validation is that at the start of the day you write the date in one of the spaces. If the police ask to see the form and you havent done it they will fine you.

Jon

btw most of the site is in available in English

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
What is Greece like, sort of well South the sort of time we would like to avoid the miserable climate here. I was warned of the summer months and really like to do the historic sites, Delphi, Parthenon etc
Greece in the winter, think Crete.BUSBY.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
There's a reason the Greek holiday period ends end of October as it isn't very warm ....the canaries have all year round tourist trade ....couple of weeks in a hotel
Canaries not that much better than Spain except it's warmer at night,,BUSBY??

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
We are in India now. Spending 2 months travelling around. Absolutely loving it so far! Where do you guys overwinter? rosalan denisejoe

We've booked to go to Cavalossim for a couple of weeks at the beginning of December. We weren't originally going to Goa this year but was supposed to be going to Gambia with Thomas Cook but when they went bust we couldn't find the same deal on the other websites so decided we'd go back to Southern Goa again but not to the hotel we went last year which was a long way from anywhere - nearly a mile to the beach and about 7 miles from Cavalossim which we liked which is why we've chosen to go there this time.

Would love to go for longer but I've had a lot of health problems this year and have been back and forth to hospital weekly and now waiting for a couple of scans and an operation so 2 weeks is all we can manage.

Denise

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I still do not see how to get to Italy except through A TUNNEL which is dear and pay road tolls just to transit Switzerland which must be done within a time span and precludes going around in Italy for a decent time. G st Bernhardt tunnel is cheaper than Mont Blanc but they have a return time to ge back into France before becoming payable again.? The only alternative is Ventamiglia which is a long way around again and involves Autoroute to get there. Maybe I will not be going to Italy and she will have to do without seeing the buried cities. I do not fancy India much either from what appears here in this thread.

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
I still do not see how to get to Italy except through A TUNNEL which is dear and pay road tolls just to transit Switzerland which must be done within a time span and precludes going around in Italy for a decent time. G st Bernhardt tunnel is cheaper than Mont Blanc but they have a return time to ge back into France before becoming payable again.? The only alternative is Ventamiglia which is a long way around again and involves Autoroute to get there. Maybe I will not be going to Italy and she will have to do without seeing the buried cities. I do not fancy India much either from what appears here in this thread.
You can go via St Gotthard, which is included in the chf 32.50 £30 for 10 any 10days in a year, so you can do both ways with days to spare

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
The only places you are going to have a chance of a bit of sun and a little warmth (not scorching) in Europe in January are southern Spain or Portugal or Sicily or Crete or places adjacent. You might get lucky a bit further north but it becomes a gamble.

Look at the map, Sicily is doable if you can drive to Genoa and get the ferry. If you want less driving go Portsmouth to Bilbao or Santander then drive south. This isn't the cheap option though.

Alternatively, invest in the finest waterproofs and go to Cornwall. :)

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Please read my posts carefully. You pay once at entry for a pass that gives you any 10 days in the following 12 months. So you can drive through Switzerland easily in one day and then spend 11 months in Italy before you drive back through Switzerland on the same pass. And still have 8 days left on the pass. Thst will cost you a lot less and be a lot quicker than using the French toll roads

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We always go through Austria and don't use the toll roads very easy.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Thats clever Lenny,that post from GwayGway has our name on it TinaL
I only wish I had as much local knowledge as GwayGway, yet to discover the overland route to Italy, which is by far our most favourite place, esp Sicily but some of the roads in towns are far too narrow, even by your standards:D
Happy Travels.
Les aka TinaL

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
We came back via the Simplon Pass but you still need to purchase a vignette or 10 day pass but it is a nice alternative.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Please read my posts carefully. You pay once at entry for a pass that gives you any 10 days in the following 12 months. So you can drive through Switzerland easily in one day and then spend 11 months in Italy before you drive back through Switzerland on the same pass. And still have 8 days left on the pass. Thst will cost you a lot less and be a lot quicker than using the French toll roads
I read into it that it was a return within 10 days and when I looked up the Tunnel it gave a seperate price and that was single or a retrun ins so many days, I am confused about the whole thing still.

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I read into it that it was a return within 10 days and when I looked up the Tunnel it gave a seperate price and that was single or a retrun ins so many days, I am confused about the whole thing still.
You are thinking of a vignette, which is used for vehicle under 3.5t. Your motorhome is over 3.5t I understand. In that case it is exactly what I have stated.

Look at the pdf file attached to my post #27, which is a copy of the form you will have to fill in at the border. Look at the row with the picture of a motorhome and then follow that along to the last column. That shows the cost of 32.50sf for 10 days and note 3 says that it is valid for one year.
If you scroll further down the form you see the entry you have to make for each day you are in Switzerland, giving the day of the week and the date. One day to go out and one day to come back is all you will need. You fill it out at the beginning of each day you are in Switzerland before you use the motorhome and you carry it with you in the cab to show if you are stopped by the police.

It really is very easy

Dec 31, 2010
Sunny South Shields
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin i7900
Exp
Since 2010
And a nice free aire on the top of it.

What this one (y)

IMG_20190930_100743.jpg

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
That looks nice but we wanted to do it over the new year and there would be 15ft of snow about there I think. When St Gotthard was mentioned as being in the 32 CHf I take it that was the Pass.

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
Driving to Italy is really really easy even buying the 10 day pass at border. It must be really easy as I managed it with a little Funster help so dont panic set the Sat Nav and drive

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
That looks nice but we wanted to do it over the new year and there would be 15ft of snow about there I think. When St Gotthard was mentioned as being in the 32 CHf I take it that was the Pass.
st gotthard tunnel is included

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
A quick flight to India is our solution.
I don’t call 12+ hours a quick flight but loved 2 months in Goa so worth it in the end.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back