LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
We are due to visit Vanbitz and we are hoping to spend a night or two on the way down, so that Tilly can have a run on a beach, we live as far as possible from the sea,
We were hoping to find somewhere near Weston Super Mare or anywhere on the coast on the way to Vanbitz.

It looks like most campsites are closed.

Suggestions please. We don't need hookup

Dave

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Uphill Marina Touring Park…….

1667463959833.jpeg

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
Nov 13, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2000
We walk past uphill marina quite often and it’s always busy you will probably have to book. If you can get in it’s a great area for walking and short distance from the beach.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
I went there, paid for four nights and left after two!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 29, 2020
Paulton
Funster No
MH
Roller Team 685
Exp
Since 2012, Tugger for previous 20 odd years
Uphill Marina owners can be, in my opinion, a bit prickly and "precious" - you must do this and you mustn't do that. Apart from that, if you follow the rules with no deviation, it is a pleasant enough site with good access to the beach and Weston Super Mud. The village has a couple of goodish pubs and I believe a bus service operates from just outside the gates.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
If left after two nights you should tell us why.
I emailed and asked if they could fit a 9m RV, the reply was yes no problem most of our pitches will.

We arrived with our mates and they allocated us two pitches in a bend.

All was fine the first evening, the following morning they told me that I had to "move" over as I was too close to the van next to us.

I pointed out that I was much closer to our mates motorhome and would be virtually "touching" at the front due to the pitches being squeezed in on a bend, also the edge of the pitch was muddy, but I said that I would try to move.

I moved over and apparently this still wasn't enough. I couldn't be arsed to argue, I didn't like the site, the rules the mud or the facilities so suggested to our mates that we buggered off back to Taunton which we did.

I posted a review and it was challenged, with the sarky comment that if you have a big camper it would be sensible to email first and ask!!

I replied to their comment saying that I agreed it would be a good idea, which is why I had asked them!

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Have used Uphill Marina several times and would recommend without reservation. Good alternative if you fancy a CL would be Clevedon Golf Centre. Clevedon is much nicer and compact than Weston-s-Mud. Walking distance to seafront, famous pier and pubs. Restaurants and supermarkets all within easy reach. I think 3 of the 5 pitches are hard standing.

Attachments

• 51F38E50-51C5-4F6C-B32D-47A8886573CC.jpeg
    51F38E50-51C5-4F6C-B32D-47A8886573CC.jpeg
    606.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 8695DFD2-3788-4D0B-B238-14F8DA9BCFD3.jpeg
    8695DFD2-3788-4D0B-B238-14F8DA9BCFD3.jpeg
    828 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
We really liked Uphill really great location and a nice cafe at the entrance! Couple of pubs in the village which were ok.
Few hundred yards to a huge beach.
Would highly recommend 👍

AndyPK

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 7, 2015
Cirencester
Funster No
MH
None……..!
Exp
Motorhoming since 2015......
Yes, Brean is on the other side of the Axe estuary from Uphill……….

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
Have used Uphill Marina several times and would recommend without reservation. Good alternative if you fancy a CL would be Clevedon Golf Centre. Clevedon is much nicer and compact than Weston-s-Mud. Walking distance to seafront, famous pier and pubs. Restaurants and supermarkets all within easy reach. I think 3 of the 5 pitches are hard standing.
No beach for dog to run on though. :unsure:
We love the beach at the Uphill end of Weston-super-mare and often go for Rosie to have a run. It is possible to park on side streets at the southern end of Weston to go on the beach but not sure I would overnight there. It’s a good winter exercise run for the van from where we live.
EF05CC1B-8508-42D6-8EDB-1434721E769E.jpeg

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Yes, Brean is on the other side of the Axe estuary from Uphill……….
Plenty of space and parking on the beach at Brean, get out of there before the tide comes in tho’:oops:

Attachments

• 401A008F-9C2D-4FF4-98B8-044A0895A785.jpeg
    401A008F-9C2D-4FF4-98B8-044A0895A785.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
May 13, 2016
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
eight years in theory, a newby in practice!!!
We had a couple of nights at the Uphill site just after the first Covid lock down. The weather wasn't the best, we enjoyed the site but we'll remember the trip for another reason. We'd booked a table in The Ship Inn near the site to celebrate our Anniversary, we went to the bar to find out which table we'd booked. Punters were standing 4 deep at the bar and had to fight our way thru the crowds just to get there.
Despite the forecast of rain, we asked to sit out in the beer garden as it was scary being in close proximity to so many people at the height of Covid when people were dropping like flies all over the country. We had our meal in the garden and it rained, it was miserable. We were convinced that we would have contracted Covid but thankfully we hadn't. So far we've managed to dodge the bullet unlike everyone else in the family. Had our booster yesterday so we feel a bit better.(y)
Would go back to the site again but not the pub ;)

Jan 20, 2019
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740
Exp
Since 2019
We had a couple of nights at the Uphill site just after the first Covid lock down. The weather wasn't the best, we enjoyed the site but we'll remember the trip for another reason. We'd booked a table in The Ship Inn near the site to celebrate our Anniversary, we went to the bar to find out which table we'd booked. Punters were standing 4 deep at the bar and had to fight our way thru the crowds just to get there.
Despite the forecast of rain, we asked to sit out in the beer garden as it was scary being in close proximity to so many people at the height of Covid when people were dropping like flies all over the country. We had our meal in the garden and it rained, it was miserable. We were convinced that we would have contracted Covid but thankfully we hadn't. So far we've managed to dodge the bullet unlike everyone else in the family. Had our booster yesterday so we feel a bit better.(y)
Same thing happened to us we must have been there around the same time . We walked out as the table they put us on was surrounded by people standing/ drinking so not great!
To be fair we used the pub in 2019 at it was fine nothing special just ok.
The campsite however is a bit special and very scenic so would go back but have struggled to get availability.

Mark and Mindy

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2017
Nr Bicester
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640 SGX
Exp
Since 2019
We stayed at the campsite and were told that because we had a small van that they'd put us into the pitch right at the far end - 5.4m small - the pitch would have been fine for a VW or something smaller but was tight and awkward to get into because there was a barrier and no room to go past and then reverse back in. Also the sounds of the clanging and clanking from the boats moored up at night was so loud!

Aug 26, 2008
B&NES
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2007
I always look at the prices and as soon as i see they charge for a dog I don’t go any further.
How can they/any campsite charge for a dog?
Dog doesn’t use any of their facilities!

Unless they wash their dog in the shower block. Seen that. :rolleyes:

Oct 18, 2022
South West
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 1992
Neither pub in Uphill is up to much. I think the Italian restaurant is now closed too? Nice little cafe at the marina entrance though, serves a decent breakfast. The site has become particularly busy since Paul Merton featured it on his MH series - celebrity endorsement is generally a bad thing for the rest of us.

Last edited:

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
You select your pitch when you book now. If you struggle for availability, as we did, book a pitch for one night and then see if another pitch is available the next night. In a MH it’s not too much trouble to move.

It was our first outing after my heart attack so we didn’t want to go far. Had a lovely afternoon walking around mainly doing a circuit on the beach for Rosie to run.
Then, when starting the oven for tea, set fire to the silicone anti rattle mat and the powder extinguisher was deployed. We had to go straight home, sympathy from the warden who had lent us an extension lead to reach the post, but no refund. I didn’t expect one of course and the warden just an employee. I was really looking forward to staying there for a couple of days.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
I’ve never stayed there as I can easily walk to the site. It is in a good location for miles of beach walking, walking through countryside to the Brean area and cycling. Dogs are restricted at certain times of year, on some of the beach areas, so owners would need to check.

However, the cafe on the marina has always been a nice place to stop for a coffee / food. If you don’t want to walk / cycle into Weston, go the opposite way and walk / cycle (virtually all off road) to Brean / Brean Down.

The two pubs in Uphill, I agree, are only okay and food is very hit or miss. Weston has plenty of the usual seaside places to eat, as well as Indian, Chinese etc.

I maybe a little bias, but we walk or cycle for miles around the area.👍

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back