Solar regulator load to cab battery (1 Viewer)

Wilberforceftw

Free Member
Jul 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Swift 614
Exp
Hi all

I've read as many posts as I can on battery, solar, battery masters etc.

Just bought a autoquest 145 with pre wired solar panel. From following the wires it appears to me that the load connections are wired to the cab battery cables. I only think this based off the colours of wires and that the fuse / red box appeared to be the fuse stated as car.

I fully appreciate no one can answer for definite but will this be ok in the short term for my cab battery? Are there any major pitfalls other than overcharging.

If it is how I think is there a way to check and if so could I swap to a dual regulator to make life easier?

It has been wired by a dealer and I was hoping to find a battery master or similar but no luck. Can take a pic if would help but would be happy for any thoughts on this of those wiser than me.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
hi ..
pictures may give a better idea to those able to help..
you say following the wires it appears they are connected to cab battery...

following from where ..?? the solar regulator ???
the load connection on a solar regulator is often not used and wouldn't be connected to a battery but to load such as lights etc so you are probably describing the regulator output to the batteries ??
you should be able to check with a meter to see which batteries are been charged by the solar.. they will have an elevated voltage. 13 to 14 plus volts..

Andy

OP
OP
W

Wilberforceftw

Free Member
Jul 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Swift 614
Exp
Hi there

I'd post pictures if I thought they'd help but in all honesty I doubt it as once the cables leave the van I cant see where they go.

There is definitely the regulator to the battery going into that as I cant follow that through. I have checked the cab battery and cant see the cables mentioned later.

The solar regulator has the load connections in use and from the elddis manual these cables are spliced into a green and white and brown cable which are stated to be the van battery. There are dual 10a fuses where both the salar to battery and load live cables go through.

If this is the case could I just wire a dual battery charger regulator to avoid the load connections? Fully appreciate without sight no one could answer 100% but does my rationale seem correct Imif wired how I think? Or could the load be doing something else...and if so what possibly could it be?

That's for any help as I know I'm asking for it blindfolded and in the dark?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
has the load connections in use and from the elddis manual these cables are spliced into a green and white and brown cable which are stated to be the van battery.
as I said I can't understand that... the solar I would expect to be installed to keep the leisure batteries right... and the load terminal to service some small load possibly but not connected to the start battery...

there would be no reason you couldn't put in a dual regulator but without knowing what solar you have it may hardly be worth splitting the available charge... 10 amp fuse would indicate not a large regulator or array...
you could consider fitting a battery master type device to keep your start battery charged rather than a dual solar regulator...
you need to confirm or find out what that load connection on the solar regulator is doing..

Andy

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
I would not be concerned. Check the settings menu of the solar charger to see if the load is on a timer, or gives a maintenance/float charge to your (presumed) cab bat.

It is the AUX load we are talking about and not the MAIN load output?

Dont worry about overcharging anything, cab or hab, thats why they are there, and after all thats why they are called regulators!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
The load on my regulator is wired to run the fridge fans and the beer coldbox. It can be set on a timer eg off at an hour after sunset or whatever.

Louis

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 29, 2016
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auotrail
Exp
6 Months with motorhome(35 years tugging)
A dual controller would be fine. Splice into hab or cab battery ( whichever battery is not already connected) wiring in the Same manner , plenty of info on the Forum if you make a search ?

OP
OP
W

Wilberforceftw

Free Member
Jul 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Swift 614
Exp
Sorry all for not updating none the wise really but it does look as though the output load is connected to cab battery. This is the only thing I think it can be as there is nothing additional on the van this could power. Gonna get someone more learned than me to investigate

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
On a sunny day --While not on EHU or engine running----- check voltage at engine battery and a habitation 12v socket and compare voltage ------ if both read over 12. 8 or so, i would be thankful that the previous owner has had the sense to ensure that engine battery stays charged and not relying on a battery master which may not always do it's job!!!!
If habitation battery is lower maybe the solar only charges the engine battery?????
Just my thoughts!!!!!!!----- not a professional opinion!!!!
I am constantly amazed at the parasitic draw newer vehicles have on the engine battery!!!!!!!!!!!

OP
OP
W

Wilberforceftw

Free Member
Jul 7, 2019
Funster No
MH
Swift 614
Exp
On a sunny day --While not on EHU or engine running----- check voltage at engine battery and a habitation 12v socket and compare voltage ------ if both read over 12. 8 or so, i would be thankful that the previous owner has had the sense to ensure that engine battery stays charged and not relying on a battery master which may not always do it's job!!!!
If habitation battery is lower maybe the solar only charges the engine battery?????
Just my thoughts!!!!!!!----- not a professional opinion!!!!
I am constantly amazed at the parasitic draw newer vehicles have on the engine battery!!!!!!!!!!!
Sounds like you've had fun with a battery master.

Have tried but my multimeter was playing silly buggers. I tried disconnecting load from regulator and there was a slight difference. Will need to try again. It just annoys me when I cant figure something out but has to be the only logical thing

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back