Solar Panels and Leisure Batteries Autotrail Apache 2014 (1 Viewer)

Apr 10, 2021
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Apache 634
Hi All - We’ve had our 2014 Autotrail Apache for almost a year and got away for 3 weeks last year to Sweden in-between lockdowns. We were without electric hook up sometimes for 2 or 3 nights at a time. But we did drive around during the day and have solar panels. As time went by the leisure batteries performance deteriorated so I am looking at replacing the leisure batteries.

We’re not sure if the set up with the solar system and batteries is correct as we assume an additional leisure battery was added and perhaps an additional solar panel. I have attached a drawing of the solar panel connection to the batteries via a Sunsaver 20L controller.

I believe the Banner Energy Bull 100Ah is the original Autotrail supplied battery and, the Duracell Advanced Extended Life Performance 100Ah DA100/UK 019 was added later. I also noted the Duracell battery is not actually listed as a leisure battery!

The motorhome has an EC500 power control system and EC300 control panel over the habitation entrance door. The EC300 Solar Current to Leisure normally reads 0.0 to 0.1A. The Fox D1 battery display does give the battery voltage and current, in this weather, perhaps 0.5A to 1.5A current.

On the following links you can access a photo/plan of the solar battery wiring and also a photo of the solar panels.

If possible, can you please advise on the following:

• Is the wiring of the system, correct?
  • There is no connection to the Sun Saver controller load – is that normal? I assume the connection is elsewhere as the 12v habitation system works.
  • Are the batteries connected properly to gain the best benefit from them?
  • I assume some will know the likely rating of the solar panels from the photo, can you please advise on what they are?
  • Can you please advise if the solar panels are suitable for charging two 100Ah batteries for the UK April to October. Just LED lights, water pump, charging mobiles, ipad.
If you got this far well done and I look forward to your replies.
Thanks(y)

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
The load connection is rarely used in Motorhomes.
The panel sizes look like a 100w and a 40w maybe so you'll get about an 8 amp charge in full sun (we get 9a from a 150w panel)

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
It looks like the panels are wired in parallel not series from that diagram, but it's not very clear. Unless they are both equal in output voltage and are wired in parallel you are unlikely to achieve their designed performance.

The D1 monitor looks like it only shows the solar amps, not any other amps in or out. You don't show the connections to the EC500, but I'd guess it won't show any of the solar amps because they go straight to the battery, bypassing the EC500.

As Richard n Ann says, in a motorhome the controller load terminals are usually ignored. All the chargers and loads are connected to the battery, mostly through the EC500, some like the solar and inverter going direct.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back