Solar panel regulator / controller (1 Viewer)

Flair 7100i

Free Member
Aug 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 7100i
Exp
Since 2004
Hi folks looking to change the solar panel controller on my motorhome and was just wondering if any of you knowledgeable Funsters can come up with the name of a decent controller, thanks Ray

Kannon Fodda

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 26, 2019
Seek and Ye May Find
Funster No
MH
Autotrail V-line 540
Exp
I Make Schoolboy Errors!
Preferred brands typically quoted are Victron and Votronic. Most will suggest MPPT type controller rather than the cheaper PWM, as these are usually more efficient. You may also need to look at the battery types you have, (lead-acid, GEL, Lithium) to make sure the controller will have the right charge profile. You should also check if you need a single battery or dual battery system - former is just for the leisure (habitation) battery - latter allows a trickle charge to the engine (cab) battery as well as the leisure if you have the right wiring in place.

Size and model of the controller will depend on how much solar you have, and the wiring.

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I like Votronic MPP and fitted 2 to our Flair, I didn't bother connecting the dual battery feature as the CBE system had the CSB-2 installed that sent a charge to the starter battery at 13.6v on the habitation batteries, I also had a VB battery master to keep the starter battery charged in the shed when the CSB-2 wasn't seeing 13.6v as no hook up, I connected directly to the batteries so didn't get solar yield displayed on the CBE panel but then I added a Votronic solar computer display in the panel above the door, you can also add a bluetooth monitor as well or instead of the solar computer.

I will add I also fitted 2 Votronic MPP to the new Palace as the skinflints at MORELO only fitted PWM :(

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

Flair 7100i

Free Member
Aug 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 7100i
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks guys for your replies to my question about solar controllers, I only need to charge the 2 gel leisure batteries as I have recently fitted a Van Bitz Battery Master to keep the starter battery charged, thanks Ray

Upvote 0
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
In that case you might prefer the Victron, because their Smart Solar range has built in Bluetooth, so you can see everything on an app on your phone.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
F

Flair 7100i

Free Member
Aug 22, 2020
Funster No
MH
N&B Flair 7100i
Exp
Since 2004
Hi folks thanks for all your information with regards to Solar controllers and battery master. I have now fitted Votronic Mpp controller and Van Bitz battery master so hopefully everything working properly and no more problems with flat starter battery, thanks Ray.

Upvote 0

S_L_vanlife

Free Member
Mar 27, 2021
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin Supreme
I have installed and used Victron twice now and looking to install Victron again on my new van. They are very reliable and one feature blueTooth is excellent to see what's been going into and out of your batteries. They are more expensive but you get what you pay for. What size panel have you got as this will determine the controller to fit.

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
The Blue solar does not have blue tooth unless you have a dongle. Smart solar does.

Be aware that Smart solar BT does not work with Windows computers.

Geoff

Upvote 0
Dec 2, 2019
Amersham
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2019
I was under the impression that, all victron smart can be picked up by any victron connect app?
I only use a laptop with the MK3 interface for extended setups on larger systems, specially when a GX with ve bus is involved. Small systems are a doddle via phone to set up.

Upvote 0
Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun