solar panel for Sunlight Cliff (1 Viewer)

GrahamCardiff

Free Member
Jul 24, 2019
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
PVC Sunlight Cliff
Exp
Since 2018
Hi
I'm thinking of fitting a solar panel on my 2018 Cliff. Has anyone here done this before, and any recommendations re: products/fitters? I live in Cardiff.
Thanks

brocola

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2020
West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Since 2020
Can’t comment on where to get fitted, but can share a few observations which might help.

My 601 had a 100w panel fitted by dealer, but it is not really enough for more than a few days with no driving - but it is enough to keep the 2 house batteries + starter topped up when not using the van and/or recharge once home over the course of a few days.

There’s a bit of a limitation with Cliffs on the max size of panel(s) you can fit due to the placement of roof vents etc. On my 601, the max width panel I could fit is approx 86cm, to go any bigger I’d need to use some form of riser to place over the vents, which is a whole other world of annoyance…

Personally my plan is to use Thule Smartclamp roof rails and some aluminium brackets to make better use of the space available for panels, possibly sacrificing use of the rear roof vent.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
GrahamCardiff

GrahamCardiff

Free Member
Jul 24, 2019
Cardiff
Funster No
MH
PVC Sunlight Cliff
Exp
Since 2018
thanks, that's helpful. would it be possible to fit a higher wattage panel in the space available - assume it depends on type of array etc? And assume you had a second leisure battery installed - where did they put it?

brocola

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2020
West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Since 2020
Seen some people on the Sunlight FB group with 175w panels fitted longitudinally / north south. That’s the direction my 100w is fitted.

You’d be looking for a panel that’s approx either

north-south 180 x 85cm ish
east-west 150 x 85 cm ish

depends a bit on what else you have on the roof eg wind out awning.

most of the larger more powerful single panels seem to be more than 1m wide, which is a tad too big to fit

brocola

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2020
West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Since 2020
Definitely worth having some kind of panel fitted, just trying to manage expectations.

perhaps some more experienced can give you an idea of costs

brocola

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2020
West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Since 2020
Fitted the 2nd leisure battery myself under the drivers seat where the existing one is located. There’s room for both so long as you use the correct size battery and the existing battery clamp/retaining mechanism clamps down both batteries.

I replaced the existing single battery with a new matched pair because I understand from reading here that not good to mix battery types & conditions/ages.

It is a bit of a time consuming job (couple hours?) as the whole drivers seat and swivel mechanism has to be removed to get the new battery in, which will bump up the cost if you’re paying for the labour.

After doing some research, decided to fit it myself because it’s my first van and thought I really ought to learn how it works, but appreciate not everyone has the time or inclination to do it themselves ;)

brocola

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2020
West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Since 2020
The solar controller is attached/screwed behind the plastic panel / vertical vent-looking panel on the front of the drivers seat down by your feet.

Dealer originally fitted a pretty basic controller, so replaced this myself after some time with a better controller (Votronic) as I intend to replace the panel with a more powerful one. Victron controllers seem to get good comments too.

brocola

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 25, 2020
West Midlands, UK
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Since 2020
The other piece of the jigsaw are the cables from the solar panel down to the controller. In my Cliff these ‘enter’ the roof through a gland/cover into the top left of the locker over the sink, then are threaded behind the plastic trim over the sliding door and down the B pillar.

Not sure if this was pre-wiring by Sunlight or a dealer special - worth checking your over sink locker to see if you have any cables there.

Colino

Free Member
Jan 19, 2021
Funster No
MH
Hobby T65HFL
I have used this company to do a whole range of stuff to my mh including fitting a solar panel. They have always done a great job for me. They also do repairs etc. You'll probably have to book it in though because they're busy. The owners name is Martin a nice guy and very helpful. It is only a 5 minute walk from Caerphilly train station. What I usually do is phone up let them know what I need doing and if I'm not sure of something I talk it through with Martin.
Then I drop if off and get train home.
Hope this helps.

Sapper520

Free Member
Jan 22, 2020
North Somerset
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
September 2020
We‘ve got two 110 batteries under the drivers seat. Controller set at 70% leisure and 30% vehicle.

A 130w solar panel with the controller in the photograph below. All fitted by the dealer before collection.

Not had much chance to test off grid yet, but system appears to be working well.

D8FC7E24-1CA3-4385-8074-783C45302AD6.jpeg
99C7CCA0-8D83-41B8-B70D-BDC80D3173FC.jpeg
DB4428A5-D5E0-4F9C-906C-9EE146F8A727.jpeg
BED9FBD3-7899-44B4-8691-CD384C8D9447.jpeg

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back