Solar panel controllers limit of power. (1 Viewer)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have fitted a panel to the roof of my Hymer and it has the same controller as the vehicle charger system, it just clipped on and plugged in. However as the panel is 120 watt I could do with a bit more so I would contemplate fitting another further along the roof but the controller is limited to the wattage it can control. to 140 watts maximum.
Question is can I fit another panel and another controller and use them to feed the same battery bank (3X90amphour) by just fitting the output from the second controller straight to a fused connection and the batteries, Is a diode needed or would the battery bank voltage act on both controllers equally, allowing them to limit the total inputs from the related panel???

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
if im understanding your intentions, fitting two separate solar systems to the same battery bank doesn't sound ideal.. there may well be conflict and you wont get the maximum benefit..
far better to upgrade the controller and put both panels through that.. if the vans power supply unit isn't capable of handling the wattage you intend ( thats if the existing panel is wired directly through the vans management panel ) then wire it independently.. there should be no problem but it would pay to check it wont cause a conflict with the vans system..
Andy

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Simple answer is yes. The batteries will charge from whichever charging option is outputting the highest voltage be it alternator, EHU charge, solar 1, or solar 2. Charging sources outputting a lower voltage will be ignored. There is no need for any action on your part other than to fit your next panel exactly as you suggest.

Edit: just seen Andy63 post: so I'll just emphasise that there will be no conflict with anything. No matter how many different charging sources are added to the same battery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If you have a LRM1218 they can take 275 Watts so you can just fit another panel and use MC4 2 way connectors on the roof so no wiring as such.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Simple answer is yes. The batteries will charge from whichever charging option is outputting the highest voltage be it alternator, EHU charge, solar 1, or solar 2. Charging sources outputting a lower voltage will be ignored. There is no need for any action on your part other than to fit your next panel exactly as you suggest.

Edit: just seen Andy63 post: so I'll just emphasise that there will be no conflict with anything. No matter how many different charging sources are added to the same battery.

the way I see it is one of the solar systems will most probably take priority,as you indicate... that may well prevent the second system from providing an effective charge as it sees a healthy voltage on the batteries and depending on type just shut down..
ive not come across it but do remember reading something about some vans power management panels incorporating a battery state indication... if panels were wired in independently it was causing problems with the battery charging as no account was taken of the charging done by the solar ...
Andy

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
If you have a LRM1218 they can take 275 Watts so you can just fit another panel and use MC4 2 way connectors on the roof so no wiring as such.
I was hoping you were quoting the one I have fitted but it isn't the same it is a Schaudt, but not that one it is smaller and couples direct to the third connector on the box and iit came prewired with the multiconnector already on to clip in.
The ideal would be to be able to Y junction the second panel on the outside but I need to find out more.
T have just been out and it is an LR1218 as against the LRM 1218 They look different but does the rating come from the title 12V 18 amps?????

Last edited:
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I was hoping you were quoting the one I have fitted but it isn't the same it is a Schaudt, but not that one it is smaller and couples direct to the third connector on the box and iit came prewired with the multiconnector already on to clip in.
The ideal would be to be able to Y junction the second panel on the outside but I need to find out more.
T have just been out and it is an LR1218 as against the LRM 1218 They look different but does the rating come from the title 12V 18 amps?????
https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/foru...lar-to-electroblok-on-hymer-of-similar.89018/

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
the way I see it is one of the solar systems will most probably take priority,as you indicate... that may well prevent the second system from providing an effective charge ...
Andy

Solar controller 1 is set for 13.65V
Solar controller 2 is set for 13.7V ( manufacturing tolerance )

Battery is down to 12.1V - both controllers will dump all they can into the battery.

But at 13.65 things get interesting - controller 1 stops charging. Controller 2 goes that extra 0.05V.

What the hell, the battery is charged.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Having two separate systems will provide greater resilience. If anything happened to a component in one system (such as stone damage or shading to one panel), the other one would still be able to continue.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Yes LR1218 is 18 amp and can take 275 watts of panels.
If you have Gel batteries the LR1218 is fine but I wouldn't use it with AGM batteries, once the batteries are charged and have reached 14.2v the regulator maintains that voltage continuously, Gels can handle it but it's a good way of shortening the life of other types of batteries.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
the way I see it is one of the solar systems will most probably take priority,as you indicate... that may well prevent the second system from providing an effective charge as it sees a healthy voltage on the batteries and depending on type just shut down..
ive not come across it but do remember reading something about some vans power management panels incorporating a battery state indication... if panels were wired in independently it was causing problems with the battery charging as no account was taken of the charging done by the solar ...
Andy
It is true that an independant solar input will bypass any clever capacity metering but only in a good way :).

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
The other question I would like to know about the panels themselves. We see panels of various sizes and shapes but they are all different outputs.. HOW do you tell the output by just looking so that I can check the same output to match it with, as I always understood they need to be the same capacities/ output when coupled together. Is it the number of cells multiplied by the nominal output per cell, is so what is that output?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back