Sep 24, 2020
Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
Adria izola
Exp
New to the forum

Apologies if you all get bored of these types of questions

But here goes. I have all the components already bought and paid for.
4 panels, inverter/charger, DC to DC charger, charge controller, battery.

I don't have cabling, fuses or circuit breakers. That kind of thing.

And I have sent a few emails to get quotes on installing these on/in my motorhome

First quote back.....£1800☠️
Is this honestly what folks pay to have a few plug and play devices screwed into a van? Seems absolutely mental to me!
I'm not afraid of learning to do it myself, just would have been nice to not have to commit more time to it.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Put in a search. Top right "Q" for solar. Ther are many threads old and newer on the Forum. Even a ful solar power su b forum (y) Welcome by the way.w2f

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Sounds expensive but not mental as you want a fair bit of work done. A day on the roof fitting panels plus wiring them up, another day running the cables down to the controller which has got to be fitted first and to the battery. Then to the DC to DC which I presume is a Battery to Battery charger, installing and wiring an inverter, running cables to connect them all which could be easy or a complete pain. Have you bought good quality gear or just the cheapest? because if anything goes wrong in a few months you will expect them to put it right.
3 days minimum at £300 a day plus materials, your paying not only for labour, your paying for what they know.

Upvote 0
Jul 6, 2016
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic A clas
Exp
Since 1990
The problem with buying the major components and then expecting an installer to install is frought with problems, in my opinion.

The installer is unlikely to take responsibility for the customer supplied kit. So, if there's a problem he'll blame the customer supplied kit. Secondly, he would lose any profit gained by supplying the kit from his own stock.

Most reputable installers would prefer to install their own range of products so they can guarantee the complete system.

Upvote 0
Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Are you sure he's not quoting for supply and fit?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Welcome! If you look at the links in my signature below you will find descriptions of how I fitted a solar panel, B2B and an inverter.

If you are feeling brave you could list what you've bought. :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back