So you want your van really level? (1 Viewer)

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This is a serous question - honest! Can this system tilt the vehicle so waste tanks can be completely emptied?* You can do this with full air suspension but I'm not sure these jacking systems could cope with the lateral forces. But I am probably wrong. :)

*Like a dog cocking it's leg. :)

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
This is a serous question - honest! Can this system tilt the vehicle so waste tanks can be completely emptied?* You can do this with full air suspension but I'm not sure these jacking systems could cope with the lateral forces. But I am probably wrong. :)

*Like a dog cocking it's leg. :)
Yes it can
It also prevents unwanted rocking in the night - even if there is excessive wind

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I will refrain from asking about other cures for excessive wind...
:)

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Would love some but cant justify the money they cost, if i had a spare 5k + in me back pocket like Money Mayweather they would be fitted already:LOL:

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
They are great ours will tilt for waste emptying I know they are costly but if you can afford them you wouldn't regret it.(y)(y)(y)

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
NO I don't want ours level, I want ours 0.5 deg down to the front so that the rain runs down the gutters and not down the back and down my neck when I open the garage door, cocking it's leg to empty the tank is easy peasy(y)

Interestingly at the recent Shrewsbury meet about 25% of the van there had hydraulic jacks.

Martin

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Another benefit is knowing that you're going to be firm - all night long
Hi.
I thought you were younger......... Still,"Old age " does creep up on you at the most inopportune moments....... :whistle:
Tea Bag
Cue song.. "I'm a lumberjack and i'm allright,i'm up all day and i'm up all......Whatever words fit (Or don't(n))

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I can confirm that they do just what it says on the tin.(Oh, there isn't a tin, but who cares?)
Plus you can tilt the van to drain waste water and lift a wheel (or a side) to change a punctured tyre.
If you want rock use iPlayer, the jacks won't allow rocking in the wind (or any other lateral or vertical forces) :D2:D2

Richard.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Thinking about draining water, shouldn't the drainage be designed to work when the van is level, rather than tipped in any other direction?

Kim H

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 24, 2011
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
Since 2011
We had levellers installed on our new van prior to import. One of the features that impressed us, apart from the obvious, is that we can set a pin code that only allows the levellers to retract when the pin code is used. Obviously there are alarms to indicate when this function is used, but it's another anti theft deterrent as far as we're concerned.

Last edited:
Mar 21, 2017
Devon, UK
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I like the neat way the hydraulics are underslung and out of the way. That's an advantage on smaller vans as in the video. All the examples I've seen on here it's mounted inside and takes up storage space within the van,

Jun 10, 2010
Shrewsbury (sometimes)
Funster No
MH
N&B Clou Liner MAN
Exp
Other slightly cheaper options are also available

http://www.glide-rite.com/category_s/12.htm

Btw we also have the full air and it is better at emptying the tanks because its faster. Press the button when you leave the cab and by the time you re at the tap its tipped to an impressive angle.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I like the neat way the hydraulics are underslung and out of the way. That's an advantage on smaller vans as in the video. All the examples I've seen on here it's mounted inside and takes up storage space within the van,
Hydraulic levellers are usually mounted under the van.
Only the hydraulic pump is inside and is about the size of a large shoe box

fleurette

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2012
worcester
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I640 SD
Exp
Have spoken to Mick at SAP last week and decided to go the whole hog so to speak and get the levelling and air suspension fitted, I know that it's expensive but to get the pleasure from the more relaxed driving experience and arriving at your destination and being able to set up a the press of a button has certainly got it's advantages.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Hydraulic levellers are usually mounted under the van.
Only the hydraulic pump is inside and is about the size of a large shoe box
Correct ish, our pump is also inside but we have the room so it's not a problem, if there really is no room inside or the customer simply doesn't want the pump unit inside Mick at SAP will mount it outside in a custom made plastic box.

Martin

keith

Free Member
Aug 25, 2007
Ecclefechan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starseeker
Exp
Caravaning since 1974 - Motorhoming since 2003
Thinking about draining water, shouldn't the drainage be designed to work when the van is level, rather than tipped in any other direction?
In a perfect van yes ... But we all have motorhomes :LOL:

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Whether the gubbins (technical term for pump etc) is mounted under or inside will depend on the amount of space under the floor.
Our Carthago, on the Alko low chassis, has very little space between the very flat lower floor and the road so the 'gubbins' went into a space that was pretty much unusable for easy storage. Many vans with a higher chassis have plenty of space underneath so it all gets mounted inside a box like in the video.

Is it much extra weight added to van other than a spirit level
Not sure what the extra weight is but we were able to remove the two Alko steadies from the rear and do away with the chunky quatro levelling ramps we carried. That must have saved a fair bit.

You're right of course, it should. But how many do?
I've found that I don't need to use the tilt feature as our waste tank drain is in the centre of the tank but on our previous vans it was on one side.

Richard.

Hellski

Free Member
Mar 28, 2016
Cheltenham
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto 76 LE
Exp
I've also bitten the bullet and will be having the levelling system installed. However, I'm going a different route to the E&P system and going with AS-Airsuspension's HPC offering. I was very impressed by the service given to me earlier this year when I had rear air assist installed by them.

Space is optimal to me too and not an option to have the pump mounted under the chassis due to it being a different design to the E&P pump. So I'm freeing up the gas locker for the hydraulic pump by having an underslung gas tank fitted at the same time.

The HPC system weighs in at 40kgs and is of a similar price to the E&P system.

Expensive, yes, a luxury, most certainly but one we've decided to treat ourselves to whilst we can afford it and most of all enjoy it(y)

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
Other slightly cheaper options are also available

http://www.glide-rite.com/category_s/12.htm

Btw we also have the full air and it is better at emptying the tanks because its faster. Press the button when you leave the cab and by the time you re at the tap its tipped to an impressive angle.

I'd steer very clear of GlideRite. They're not much cheaper but significantly inferior (IMV) to E&P and the other offerings I've seen.

Camping Gaza

Free Member
May 7, 2016
La Châtre, Centre-Val de Loire France
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Low profile
Exp
Converted a Fiat Ducato PV a while back
I have a cheap solution. I use ex mod barrage balloons tied to the bike rack and cab door handles. Its OK, but after a windy night you just never know where you will be waking up to...

Apr 21, 2008
bedford
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'd steer very clear of GlideRite. They're not much cheaper but significantly inferior (IMV) to E&P and the other offerings I've seen.
I have had glide-rite fitted to two vans and they work fine so why tell us to steer clear of them? Have you had any bad experience ence of them on your van?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
Ive had gliderite on for 5 years, absolutely fine and were £1500 cheaper and a bit lighter at the time.
That's about the price difference I had in my mind from when I was looking, I don't think that GlideRite have the bells and whistles of the competition but I have never heard of a problem with them.

Martin

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back