LIFE MEMBER
Jan 16, 2013
Blackburn
Funster No
MH
Eldiss autoquest 155
Exp
Since 2011
Driving down from Calais to southern Spain mid February for about 8 weeks. What's best, change to winter tyres (if so which), or purchase a set of snow chains, again (which).

Not sure yet if it will be a regular thing, depends upon SWMBO.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I'm no expert but have driven down a couple of times at that time and the only snow we saw was high up on the tops of the Pyrenees, way, way above the level that we were driving.
Just keep an eye on the weather apps and adjust your drive accordingly.

Richard.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
In general terms, winter tyres would probably be of more use.

Malcolm

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Teuchter

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Nov 4, 2014
Lee on the Solent
Funster No
MH
Hymer Mercedes MLI 580
Exp
I have been caravanning for 32 years but in 2014 I have"gone over to the dark side"
81VtlzYF3oL._SY450_.jpg

Tucked away in the garage for emergency if required - bought on Amazon :)

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
With the new laws coming in across Europe a lot of the newer 4 season tyres have the winter snowflake mark. I think that would be my choice.

For those of you that don't know from 1st Jan 2018 countries requiring winter tyres during the winter M&S tyres will no longer be acceptable they must have the Snowflake mark.
Now to make it even more confusing Germany has said (assume other countries will be the same). If you have M&S tyres that were produced before this date you can carry on using them until Sept. 30th 2024.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Although we've never actually needed them - we use winter tyres all year round, just as good for getting off wet grass, but I digress - you have to remember that most of Spain is well above 2000ft amsl and so it's possible to encounter adverse conditions at any time. Worst case without either - you'll be delayed a couple of hours while they clear the road. If you route west around the coast and avoid the Pyrenees you should be okay. Still keep an eye on the weather though.

If I think I might need snow chains I go somewhere else; had enough of that when I was a coach driver.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
What tyre size do you have ??
Got these sat about, as picked up wrong size. NEW size M £15 plus post.

DSC_0025.JPG
DSC_0026.JPG

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If anyone is thinking of getting snow socks rather than snow chains make sure they are the ones which are approved for use in countries that require them, not all makes are approved. If you can use snow chains these would IMV be best (along with good 'snowflake' tyres too) to cover all eventualities but if you have a FORD based camper/MH make sure that you can actually use snow chains as the one we had specifically said they could NOT be used (due to lack of clearance between the wheel and the wing I believe), so we had no choice at that time but to get approved snow socks.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I would only go with winter tyres, always change ours about now, I use Michelin camper winter tyres, can't remember the full details. I use a tyre dealer who hotels the tyres for the summer. They work better in cold weather even without the snow or ice. IMHO I believe it's a worthwhile exercise. As stated a legal requirement in places. Chains hard work. If it's that bad take a break or divert. Snow socks IMHO are not up to the job.

Sep 3, 2009
NW Surrey
Funster No
MH
LHD Hymer exsis-i
In my experience snow socks work brilliantly in snow, (not slush), and a lot better than nothing on ice. However, tarmac, even patchy tarmac will degrade them quickly, although the other major advantage is they are very easy to get on and off.

Malcolm

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Update to my eairler post (post#6)I believe the new law requires the Alpine marking not jut the snowflake.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I would only go with winter tyres, always change ours about now, I use Michelin camper winter tyres, can't remember the full details. I use a tyre dealer who hotels the tyres for the summer. They work better in cold weather even without the snow or ice. IMHO I believe it's a worthwhile exercise. As stated a legal requirement in places. Chains hard work. If it's that bad take a break or divert. Snow socks IMHO are not up to the job.
I didn't know that Michelin did a "winter" Camper tyre the Agilis Camper tyre is M+S but that is an all year tyre.

Martin

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
My tyre dealer imported 4 for me 2 years ago, when I get them fitted to the vehicle next week I will report the details. Only imported because U K had run out of stock. Not enough motor homers buying them. Not the cheapest but fully compliant with future legislation.

roamingman

Banned
Mar 14, 2014
Angus
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
2012, tents, caravan. 1990
Used to drive HGV'S all over Europe had chains but if it was bad enough for chains used to park up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back