LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Unimaginable sensitivity. You'd think living with some everyday human stuff would blow their minds.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Unimaginable sensitivity. You'd think living with some everyday human stuff would blow their minds.

thats why they hang around us humans... so much variety and constant change to keep the nose active.:wink::rolleyes:

Our Spaniel has a thing about blood and Death..... not at the same time!!

he can smell even the smallest cut or scratch where blood is drawn. He has often harassed a member of the family only to find they had a minor cut or scratch they were unaware of.

also;

whenever we walk past the local undertakers he drags you away across the road :oops: .... ( into a passing car ) :wink: been close once or twice.

it is amazing what they can pick up on a constant basis above all else going on around them.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
In 1978 a sniffer dog trained to find weapons and explosives, found a handgun in NI that was wrapped in linoleum, buried two feet deep in a ditch. The weapon had been used in a domestic murder in the early 1950s and not been disturbed since. What a nose!

The rusting weapon was a French Pistol made in 1858.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Dogs never cease to amaze me, their sense of smell is phenomenal. But why then, when they drop a particularly stinky fart, why don't they start choking like the humans in the van/room do

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
Dogs never cease to amaze me, their sense of smell is phenomenal. But why then, when they drop a particularly stinky fart, why don't they start choking like the humans in the van/room do

some dooo... well not quite chocking but, ours looks over his shoulder at his tail then leaves the room.... True!

Aug 12, 2020
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Citroen romahome
Exp
Since 2016
In 1978 a sniffer dog trained to find weapons and explosives, found a handgun in NI that was wrapped in linoleum, buried two feet deep in a ditch. The weapon had been used in a domestic murder in the early 1950s and not been disturbed since. What a nose!

They are amazing animals, my late Rosie (Jack Russel) new two day before I had a heart attack, she would not leave my side, then I am sure she sniffed out the cancer

OP
OP
Just smiffy
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better

Some time ago I saw a documentary where a dog sniffed out a cancer sample that was 20yrs old....😳

Jun 12, 2017
Telford
Funster No
MH
A class Pilote
Exp

sorry Jim, I’m not a fan of military multi tasking dogs. ie weapons and explosives, I lost a colleague due to this. But I suppose the dog is only an aid to be fair

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Dogs noses must be like multi-meters, they must be able to adjust the scale & sensitivity... why else do they thrust their nose into your crotch!

Most amazing story I heard was this dog being trained/trialed to sniff out cancer.
At home, it's handler noticed it was exhibiting strange behaviour... long story short... she was early stage breast cancer... and the dog sniffed it out.

Aug 12, 2020
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Citroen romahome
Exp
Since 2016
Dogs noses must be like multi-meters, they must be able to adjust the scale & sensitivity... why else do they thrust their nose into your crotch!

Most amazing story I heard was this dog being trained/trialed to sniff out cancer.
At home, it's handler noticed it was exhibiting strange behaviour... long story short... she was early stage breast cancer... and the dog sniffed it out.
Same here, I thought it odd , told my doctor, young army chap and he told me that they were looking at the possibility of training dogs to this end

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Bit in our local rag about UU using Spaniels to sniff out water leaks. They're trained to smell the chlorine in the water.

Apr 17, 2016
South Coast
Funster No
MH
White One..
Exp
3 years….
My jack can sniff out Fox poo🙁🙁
Her brother is not interested in it luckily😁
C84506E9-1FD8-4774-AFE8-3950BBA49393.jpeg
4CF17D4D-C976-4B7B-B6B7-CD40D5D5EAEC.jpeg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
some dooo... well not quite chocking but, ours looks over his shoulder at his tail then leaves the room.... True!
Our wolfhounds would whirl round in amazement at their own farts, destroyed me every time, complete plonkers.
Our Tazzy is frightened of her farts! :oops: When she does one she runs off as if something has bitten her bum! :LOL:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I dont start choking when I drop one out I sit in silence amused at others reactions.
I assume the dogs do the same

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I am told there are no bad smells to dogs. Probably true when you consider what they sniff and indeed sometimes eat.

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
I think sniffer dogs are amazing have watched them many times going along the queues at airports etc.

On arrival at Cadiz ferry port from Lanzarote the Guardia Civil wanted to use their sniffer dog to check out our camper van the only problem was our Charlie wouldn’t like another dog on his patch.
They suggested we put Charlie on his lead and went to the kennel area.

Charlie was quite happy as he christened the sniffer dogs kennel and everything near by😳 much to the amusement of the Guardia Civil.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back